Thread: Intermediate shaft machining

Garrett booster

Intermediate shaft machining

I have decided to go ahead and give the 555 "Honda bearing mod" a try. I've been fishing around the local machine shops and have gotten an overall cool reception to machining the intermediate shaft.

Only shop I found that was willing to try to machine the intermediate shaft says he would "grind" it. I would have assumed it would be better to just turn it on a lathe with a ceramic insert given it only needs about 6 thou removed.

Just looking for thoughts on this from those have a better grasp of machining case hardened parts as I am no expert. These shafts aren't overly plentiful so I would prefer it be done right.

Hybrid booster

Re: Intermediate shaft machining

I would look into having it re hardened. or at least bake it a while and drop it in some oil a few times.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

I agree...look into having it re-hardened (induction hardening...like a cam maybe?) or having DLC applied to it, which I've been considering for a while now.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Dr. Johny Dodge's Avatar

what about nitriding it ?

it ALL you have to do to make the 75# 460 cast crank good for 800 hp-8 second door slammers...and that was the new thing 35 years ago

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Johny Dodge View Post
    what about nitriding it ?

it ALL you have to do to make the 75# 460 cast crank good for 800 hp-8 second door slammers...and that was the new thing 35 years ago
    I would think it would be harder to find a company to throw a single part into their nitride furnace than to get it induction hardened or coated.

- just a thought - really depends on what's doable locally & how

I've seen "the cabinet" .. somewhat larger than a blasting cabinet but not much

I'd think they probably do things in little batches so there would probably be a wait

a crank , couple of somethin shafts , someone's gear parts , a handful of ford oil pump hex-drive shafts (junk) maybe someone's shortened distributor shaft .. Idono

Garrett booster

Ok so I talked to a couple shops about hardening.

First shop said that all the previous hardening would need to be machined off before they would harden it and said if the shaft hadn't been hardened by nitriding originally it cant be now. I asked how he felt it had probably been hardened at the factory and he offered nothing but a laugh. Moving on...

Next shop seemed more helpful. He wants to check the hardness before and after machining but feels that it will probably still be about the same given we really aren't removing much material. He also said he knew a few shops that could easily handle the machine work. If the hardness wasn't good enough to just induction harden the bearing surface, not the whole shaft (which he could not do, but could recommend a shop that could). He felt if the entire shaft were done it may become brittle. and also no longer straight. I will stop by with the shaft next week and he can have a look at it.

that sounds positive - please keep us in the loop