Thread: 05 turbo PT wiering/computer swap into 87 Daytona?

Mitsu booster

05 turbo PT wiering/computer swap into 87 Daytona?

Not totally sure whitch sub-forumbto post this...

I'm researching swapping in a turbo 2.4 motor and trans out of a 2005 PT cruiser into my 87 Daytona. No interest in tracking the electrical issues in my ~30 year old wiering harness.

I have a line on a complete 2005 Turbo PT, was thinking it's a perfect donor car for everything I need to swap, but I was also thinking of swapping put the old SMEC harness I have now and running the stock 05 PT electronics. Dont care much if the stock gauges work, just need to get it running then I can run a tablet or somthing for a display.

Thanks.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: 05 turbo PT wiering/computer swap into 87 Daytona?

The Daytona wiring harnesses are so easy to swap out, why not find one in good condition?

turbo addict

replacing your entire 87 or smec harness with another known good from some other still running car would be MUCH less "electrical" work than what you propose to do..

granted it was '96 but my own 87 had "ghosts" in it's system until I swapped the entire mint harness from my second shelby z

if the PT's are anything like the neons .. which I know mostly squat about .. you need the cluster too as it's part of "whatever it needs to run"

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    The Daytona wiring harnesses are so easy to swap out, why not find one in good condition?
    or J body lebaron.. just add the charge temp if it's a T1

to add the lebaron dash harness is slightly different
    the lighter / ashtray light leads are different from the daytona
    (one is middle of dash - one is under pass seat - I can't remember off hand which is what)
    and
    your daytona power mirrors will not work as the door harness' are different in the mirror switch wiring
    - but it will work perfectly with everything else

lebaron door harness would be a complete mistake but all the engine compartment and dash harness are workable

and nice lebarons with more toys were always easier to find than daytonas

I built my 86 turbo z with one '88 lebaron for the electrical , engine / dash.. everything ,
    digital everything , cluster , auto temp , o-h console .. everything

mirror wiring could be sorted .. I never bothered

and then 'cause I'm cheep, I bought the TII MP smec for 2 hun instead of the 88-9 oem one for 5 hun and change...

Mitsu booster

The 89 t2 smec harness it has now is out of an 89 t2 lebaron.

But the issue is finding one. Due to my location, exchange rate, shipping , etc. Its not very cost effective. Also a huge issue is trying to find a hatness that's isnt dryed out and cracking. That aside, I've been trying to find a harness in canada for ~3years...

But back to my original question, please. Love the car, hate everything about its electronics.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray_m View Post
    The 89 t2 smec harness it has now is out of an 89 t2 lebaron.

But the issue is finding one. Due to my location, exchange rate, shipping , etc. Its not very cost effective. Also a huge issue is trying to find a hatness that's isnt dryed out and cracking. That aside, I've been trying to find a harness in canada for ~3years...

But back to my original question, please. Love the car, hate everything about its electronics.
    How much have you looked into a 2.4 swap? Having a good stock harness shipped from Timbuktu is more cost effective than that. You'll have to do a ton of custom wiring. There will be the fact that you'll have to make or buy custom motor mounts. You'll need to use your stock trans with a little grinding on the block for the starter to clear, and let's not forget the custom exhaust work, intake, air inlet for the turbo, etc. etc.

If you really just hate the stock electronics, why not go with Megasquirt now that you can run it with the HEP, or without using a trigger wheel? That's way cheaper and less time consuming than trying to adapt everything from a PT cruiser to a Daytona.

Mitsu booster

Nothing about what you said bothers me. I have very little interest in screwing around with old parts and old electronics.

turbo addict

It's been done. There is a woody wagon in PA with a full SRT harness and engine in it. Not sure what Trans it has in it. If you're going 2.4 anyway then might as well use the wiring because mounts are the difficult part of physically making it work. That is if you like electrical work.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray_m View Post
    Nothing about what you said bothers me. I have very little interest in screwing around with old parts and old electronics.
    So it's not just the wiring harness you don't want to mess with, but everything under the hood? I guess you'll just need to install everything possible from the PT cruiser after making your custom motor mounts. That shouldn't be too bad if you have the capability to fabricate everything.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

As others have said, to use the PT harness and computer, you will also need the cluster and ignition switch, and matching ignition key from the PT. There may or may not be a way to get around that with a custom flash, but I am not sure. Also if the PT donor vehicle has an automatic trans, you will have to deal with the codes associated with the computer not seeing that transmission anymore. As for using a tablet for a dash? Not sure if anybody has done that with OE electronics either.
    As what Cordes said, sounds like you would be more inclined to look for aftermarket electronics, although I'd disagree on keeping the HEP.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor jonnymopar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by moparman76_69 View Post
    It's been done. There is a woody wagon in PA with a full SRT harness and engine in it. Not sure what Trans it has in it. If you're going 2.4 anyway then might as well use the wiring because mounts are the difficult part of physically making it work. That is if you like electrical work.
    That car has a T850 in it. I expect that I'll be seeing that car in just a few days. Although the current owner didn't actually do the swap, he could probably answer plenty of questions about it.

To the original poster: I'm sure it's frustrating to hear people suggesting that you do what you're trying not to, but we're just sharing experiences. If you're dead-set on gutting nearly the entire car to swap harnesses, then my own personal experience won't help much unfortunately.
    Jon J.

1989 Daytona ES 2.4L DOHC
    2003 Neon SXT - gone but never forgotten

If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is!

turbo addict

.. except to say the entire project could easily result in never driving the car again .. just because things don't always work out as planed .. not saying it to "knock"anything or one

to add one more voice of experience
    (as I said the TI harness would suffice for a TII

sorry I had a bunch of TII ones .. until I had to move .. all in a crate for most of 25 years to so they were very nice