Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CSX VNT rear brakes

turbo addict

Re: CSX VNT rear brakes

Quote Originally Posted by 4 l-bodies View Post
    Not sure why it seems certain people dislike the 87-88 Shelby Z & 89 TC style rear disk brakes?
    The calipers are discontinued by re-builders, and will be expensive if you do find one. One of my friends paid $300 for a rebuilt one for his TC, if I remember correctly

turbo addict

at the time I was dealing with 10-15 year old cars likely with the o-e calipers
    - I had 2 april 87 build date shelby z's, at the same time

your stuff might be "newer"

add
    the early april car was single diaphragm booster (t top)
    late april car was duel diagram (o-e sunroof)

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Not sure why it seems certain people dislike the 87-88 Shelby Z & 89 TC style rear disk brakes? I can see the parking brakes performance isn't as good as internal shoe design, but I use my parking brake just to keep my car from rolling away on slight inclines/declines and they work fine for that.

Just curious why you guys find these so lame?
    Todd
    I am OK with them, I have been using for 5 years now. I use never seize on them and things are fine. I do find the rotors warp but perhaps I need better rotors than Rockauto sell.
    Regards,
    Miles

DD '87 Sundance T1, SLH with rear disks
    '87 CSX #432 2.5 CB TII, SLH

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
    The calipers are discontinued by re-builders, and will be expensive if you do find one. One of my friends paid $300 for a rebuilt one for his TC, if I remember correctly
    Harry,
    I'm really having no trouble locating them. Centric, Raybestos, AutoZone's Duralast brand all seem to have them in stock with and without bracket. Price range from $35 to around $60 plus core. Looks like left has more stock than right, but I had no trouble locating either.
    Todd

Mitsu booster

4467450 sure would like a new set of rear drums whatever brand, anybody know? I have 809 CSX-T

turbo addict

Harry,
    I'm really having no trouble locating them. Centric, Raybestos, AutoZone's Duralast brand all seem to have them in stock with and without bracket. Price range from $35 to around $60 plus core. Looks like left has more stock than right, but I had no trouble locating either.
    Todd
    Tell that to the TC guys. There's been a number of them over the past year or so trying to source the rear calipers and there is "0" in stock and they have to be sent out to be rebuilt as there's no cores.

Miles, those rotors must be CRAP to be "warping" in the back. I've NEVER seen that on our cars!

I have also had a number of cars with these calipers, and beyond the parking brake being out of adjustment, I've not had issues with them, either.

turbo addict

I could see why it might be difficult to find a simple part when you call and say I need a___ for a chrysler maserati somethin somethin... as opposed to asking for an 88 daytona part

like putting a turbo 400 u-joint in a rolls royce
    same part .. very different price

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Johny Dodge View Post
    I could see why it might be difficult to find a simple part when you call and say I need a___ for a chrysler maserati somethin somethin... as opposed to asking for an 88 daytona part

like putting a turbo 400 u-joint in a rolls royce
    same part .. very different price
    I would tend to agree with you, however these people are on the forums (or FB) and are informed of the other vehicles that cross over. Now, true, we aren't there looking stuff up, and I personally haven't tried as I don't intend to use them (going 11" for this car), but without fail they always report back that there's no inventory and that their units would have to be sent out for rebuild.

I *just* looked on Rock Auto and they do have both sides listed. Since they are a "close-out" reseller, those probably are in stock.

turbo addict

Chris,
    I can just picture this scene. Typical gray hired original TC owner looking up auto parts stores in the yellow pages and not finding any luck at his/her local Auto-Zone, as opposed to doing a national search on the Web. Many TC owners think the only parts source for their cars is Larry at TC parts. A great source for parts, but hardly the only place to look. "Someone" is still rebuilding them, as they're still charging for cores. So a couple people strike out looking for them and it becomes official there is ZERO stock left, so we all need to send cores to TC parts. He gets them rebuilt, rightfully tacks on his upcharge, freight charges several directions, and that's how you end up with a $300 rebuilt caliper.
    Todd

turbo addict

three of those would get you a set of wilwoods

I actually want to ask them next winter if it's possible to drill their backing plate to fit our spindles .. and if they have a rotor what would have the right hub / spindle stack height

I spent a couple of weeks researching the neon stuff and found a thread here or on TD about using neon parts but it seemed more a work around than a solution

and I even found a wilwood kit for neon from one of the neon enthusiast shops ... but that has no parking brake option

then I looked at newer vans ... lol (not gonna work)

and the "cloud" cars at the wreckers didn't impress me much either

my solution for the time being is simply a set of caravan 5x114 drums and spindles
    (I want the wider track and noting modern performance's race car neon busted a spindle without good reason makes me think bigger is probably going to be better)
    - and the big drum SHOULD work ok with the big front brakes .. it might even stop the rears from locking like the discs as the force is spread in the drum unlike the discs with a small initial "pinch" point
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wilwood-140-7139-Dynalite-Pro-Series-Rear-Disc-Brake-Kit-w-Park-Brake-1.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	64196  

Hybrid booster

If you are going Wilwood there is a vendor that has experience making kits for our cars, including the T3 GTP that Brian Slowe did. There’s a Daytona on the below page as well.
    http://www.tceperformanceproducts.co...stoms/kits-46/

turbo addict

well , THAT link went straight into my desktop chassis file
    THANK YOU very much Oggie

that's THE post of the month for me right there !

turbo addict

Chris,
    I can just picture this scene. Typical gray hired original TC owner looking up auto parts stores in the yellow pages and not finding any luck at his/her local Auto-Zone, as opposed to doing a national search on the Web. Many TC owners think the only parts source for their cars is Larry at TC parts. A great source for parts, but hardly the only place to look. "Someone" is still rebuilding them, as they're still charging for cores. So a couple people strike out looking for them and it becomes official there is ZERO stock left, so we all need to send cores to TC parts. He gets them rebuilt, rightfully tacks on his upcharge, freight charges several directions, and that's how you end up with a $300 rebuilt caliper.
    Todd
    I understand what you're saying, but unfortunately this isn't the case. Micky Mattack just tried yesterday to add the calipers I found on RA to his cart...can't be done. Yes, Cardone *will* rebuild them, but you have to send your calipers to them to have it done.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    I understand what you're saying, but unfortunately this isn't the case. Micky Mattack just tried yesterday to add the calipers I found on RA to his cart...can't be done. Yes, Cardone *will* rebuild them, but you have to send your calipers to them to have it done.
    Doing a quick search a few days ago I found several places "claiming" in stock calipers excluding RA. Still having Cardone rebuild them shouldn't be $300 each.
    Todd

turbo addict

Doing a quick search a few days ago I found several places "claiming" in stock calipers excluding RA. Still having Cardone rebuild them shouldn't be $300 each.
    Todd
    I definitely agree they shouldn't be $300! That's ludicrous. What bugs me more is that if they can be rebuilt, then there's parts...but why can't I find and order the parts and rebuild them myself!?

turbo addict

- 'cause the guy with the parts makes 299 for rebuilding calipers ?

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Johny Dodge View Post
    - 'cause the guy with the parts makes 299 for rebuilding calipers ?
    Could be! LOL I tried finding rebuild stuff for the 11" brake calipers (front and rear) and even that was not easy, especially the rear. Again...it's not like the parts *don't* exist because clearly they do...so where can we get them!?

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

Perhaps we should start a thread with pics of each design, including casting numbers/part numbers and create a database that shows what parts came on what cars and see what interchanges with what. I don't see the TC calipers being that different from the American built cars, unless the Italians had some crazy idea that they thought was better than Dodge's parts.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by supercrackerbox View Post
    Perhaps we should start a thread with pics of each design, including casting numbers/part numbers and create a database that shows what parts came on what cars and see what interchanges with what. I don't see the TC calipers being that different from the American built cars, unless the Italians had some crazy idea that they thought was better than Dodge's parts.
    I am down with that! Having more information in the KC is always a plus!

The TC's rear calipers are exactly the same as the '87/'88 Daytona Shelby Z. The fronts I think are slightly different than the regular single pin K-H calipers, but I'll have to look again when I get home.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

Chris,
    Todd
    That’s life with old, obsolete cars. Some of the parts will become impossible to find.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast