Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CSX VNT rear brakes

Hybrid View

CSX VNT rear brakes

I've been using the search feature to find information on the rear brakes but haven't had any luck...if someone could point me to a post about it or the part numbers I'd be grateful.

Anyone know off the top of their head which rear brake parts I should order from Rockauto? The rear pads were squealing last time I drove it and it's not in my presence to go disassemble it and check.

I'm going to guess it uses the same rotors and pads as an 87 Daytona?
    [FONT="Arial Black"]Paul[/FONT] [B][SIZE="1"]US ARMY INFANTRY VETERAN[/B] 1995 Dodge Stealth R/T White DOHC 5 speed 1994 Dodge Stealth R/T Red DOHC 5 speed 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Blue TI 5 speed (2) 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Red TI auto 1991 Dodge Spirit R/T, Red (project) 1989 Shelby CSX-VNT #382 1989 Dodge Shadow ES, White TI auto 1987 Daytona Shelby Z, White TII 1987 Chrysler T&C wagon, Tan TII auto 1985 Dodge Lancer ES, Bronze TI auto 1982 Wife, White[/SIZE] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: CSX VNT rear brakes

The 87 or 88 style is not correct as it uses a wedge caliper. This s what I use on my Sundance until I have a moment to change to my 90' 11" vented.
    http://www.glmwpg.com/ServiceManuals/ will show you the differences. Someone with a 89 CSX will be able to help. My 87 CSX uses an 89 Rotor 4467 451 and pads but the 89 CSX uses 4467 450 so I am unaware of the differences.
    Here is a good rear brake primer http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/kn...-Brake-Options
    Last edited by chromguy; 06-15-2019 at 12:43 PM.
    Regards,
    Miles

DD '87 Sundance T1, SLH with rear disks
    '87 CSX #432 2.5 CB TII, SLH

Thanks Miles for taking the time for responding. Some good stuff there, unfortunately I can't seem to find the info I need.

Can anyone else chime in here? Need to know which [rear] pads and rotors Shelby used on the CSXVNT so I can place a Rockauto order.
    [FONT="Arial Black"]Paul[/FONT] [B][SIZE="1"]US ARMY INFANTRY VETERAN[/B] 1995 Dodge Stealth R/T White DOHC 5 speed 1994 Dodge Stealth R/T Red DOHC 5 speed 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Blue TI 5 speed (2) 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Red TI auto 1991 Dodge Spirit R/T, Red (project) 1989 Shelby CSX-VNT #382 1989 Dodge Shadow ES, White TI auto 1987 Daytona Shelby Z, White TII 1987 Chrysler T&C wagon, Tan TII auto 1985 Dodge Lancer ES, Bronze TI auto 1982 Wife, White[/SIZE] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Go to your local auto parts store and Try rear pads and rotors for a 1998 Dodge Neon DOHC
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

I've not looked at the Neon stuff up close, but I believe the biggest difference between the CSX stuff and the '89-up production backing plates is going to be the guide pins for the calipers. Everything is layed out the same way but the CSX calipers have the rubber tubes and larger pins as pictured above (http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...rakes+ajakeski) but the Dodge produced vehicles have the thinner bolts and sealed accordion boots like most modern cars. I don't know if a CSX backing plate could be re-threaded to use the later hardware, but I'd be hesitant to try.

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    Go to your local auto parts store and Try rear pads and rotors for a 1998 Dodge Neon DOHC
    That's what I did for the pads and rotors when I switched the CSXT brakes to my '86 Charger nearly 15 years ago. At the time, no parts stores could find any listing for an '88 Shadow with rear discs.

turbo addict

if it were me ,
    I'd simply find the complete 89-90 daytona brakes and swap everything CSX "oddball" right out of the car & pass along the CSX stuff to someone who thinks they still want it

then I wouldn't have to search for the weird stuff at service time, everytime

anyone know what the dynasty backing plate bolt pattern might match - maybe an 80's van ??
    (hoping)... or is it unique

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Anyone know what brakes came on the 89 CSX for sure? Paul and I were discussing this at SDAC and I didn't get a chance to ask someone with a bone stock car who might know.

Garrett booster

1989 Shelby CSX Rear Brakes

Rear Rotor PN 4467450
    Shared with 1987 Shelby Lancer, 1987 Shelby CSX, and 1988 Shelby CSX-T

Rear Calipers PN 4467430 & 4467431

Rear Brake Pads PN 4467439

These part numbers aren't found anywhere else in the 1982 to 1996 Chrysler passenger car part catalogs. Also note the 1987 part catalog doesn't mention the 1987 Shelby CSX but these part numbers cross reference to the 87 CSX. I personally verified it on mine.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

I can tell you first hand that the rear disc brakes on an 88 CSX-T are not interchangeable with the rear disc brakes used on 89 and later cars. The caliper, hose and backing plates all look similar, but are slightly different. Pads and rotors should interchange.
    I posted a thread here a few years ago describing the differences.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

Goodness. I can't believe they were still using the oddball brakes in 89. This is not what I was hoping for. Looks like Neon brakes are coming sooner rather than later.

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    Goodness. I can't believe they were still using the oddball brakes in 89. This is not what I was hoping for. Looks like Neon brakes are coming sooner rather than later.
    Did you have a link on what needs to be done for this? I did see Rich's article in the knowledge base. I am looking for options as well.
    Regards,
    Miles

I'm going off of the same article. The hardest part appears to be tracking down 1st gen Neon backing plates.

Thanks. According to Boyd, the Lebaron stuff is the same. I'll have to check that out.

Well, even if it is Rockauto doesn't list anything for the rear of a Lebaron caliper wise until 89 when they look like the 90+ stuff.

turbo addict

can't say I've ever seen an 87-8 lebaron with the crappy early rear disc set-up - not sure they exist at all
    only on shelby z's

25 years ago I'd inventory the local u-pick yard 3-4 times a week - seriously , it's how I filled the basement

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Johny Dodge View Post
    .....the crappy early rear disc set-up - not sure they exist at all
    only on shelby z's
    My 87 Sundance has them....
    Regards,
    Miles

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Johny Dodge View Post
    can't say I've ever seen an 87-8 lebaron with the crappy early rear disc set-up - not sure they exist at all
    only on shelby z's

25 years ago I'd inventory the local u-pick yard 3-4 times a week - seriously , it's how I filled the basement
    Not sure why it seems certain people dislike the 87-88 Shelby Z & 89 TC style rear disk brakes? I can see the parking brakes performance isn't as good as internal shoe design, but I use my parking brake just to keep my car from rolling away on slight inclines/declines and they work fine for that.

There seems to be some upside to them too. You can adjust brake drag by adjusting piston via adjusting screw, they're obviously the lightest design, by both total weight and rotational weight, as it doesn't have heavy cast backing plate, or heavier internal shoe rotor. Good quality parts (rotors and pads) seem to be readily available. Caliper piston is same diameter as other designs. I've found braking performance seems to be at least on par (or better) than internal shoe applications. Is it because caliper cores are more expensive, or sub par parking brake? I've also heard Jay's no love for them too many times. Just curious why you guys find these so lame?
    Todd

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by 4 l-bodies View Post
    Not sure why it seems certain people dislike the 87-88 Shelby Z & 89 TC style rear disk brakes?
    The calipers are discontinued by re-builders, and will be expensive if you do find one. One of my friends paid $300 for a rebuilt one for his TC, if I remember correctly

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
    The calipers are discontinued by re-builders, and will be expensive if you do find one. One of my friends paid $300 for a rebuilt one for his TC, if I remember correctly
    Harry,
    I'm really having no trouble locating them. Centric, Raybestos, AutoZone's Duralast brand all seem to have them in stock with and without bracket. Price range from $35 to around $60 plus core. Looks like left has more stock than right, but I had no trouble locating either.
    Todd

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast