Thread: Looking for info on Hyundai v6 engines

Garrett booster

Looking for info on Hyundai v6 engines

I've been looking at the Hyundai variants of the 6g7x specifically the 3.5l(there is one here locally for cheap) and I'm wondering if anyone has ever compared the front of the blocks where the engine mount plate bolts up on the chrysler version. What prevents the plate from bolting onto the Hyundai or Dohc mitsu block? I'm sure this has been thought of before since it seems all the swaps of this nature had the pass side mount modified to fit the mitsu style 3 stud or a completely custom mount. Hoping for some input from anyone who has actually compared the different variants side by side. It sure would be convenient if that plate would bolt up even if the bolt holes need to be drilled and tapped. Are the bosses there? Are they used for something else? Will I just have to buy this 3.5l and find out for myself?

Looking at this picture it seems like at least some of them are there

Garrett booster

Re: Looking for info on Hyundai v6 engines

Okay, So this was really just a hypothetical kind of brainstorming post originally but my 3.0l decided that it didn't want to be in my van anymore. I'm not exactly sure what happened to it as of yet but I can tell you that it doesn't like me. So being without an extra block and having used up all my pistons I decided that I would pull the trigger on this hyundai 3.5l I found locally. I picked it up for $100 with an auto trans bolted to it. What I have found is that the bolt holes for the mount plate are not in exactly the same places that they would be on a sohc 12v block(surprise surprise). Interestingly the mount plate does actually bolt up with some trimming. It doesn't fit how it should but it works. There is a 3.5l Hyundai V6 bolted to an a543 in my van right now! Only 3 of the holes have bolts and the plate is angled towards the front of the van. This actually works out ok because it leaves room for the radiator this way. I will get pics soon. My phone screen is broken and I have no other camera ATM. It isn't ideal because the engine is also crooked laterally but it will have to do. I have no time to find another 12v 3.0l and even If i did its too late because i spent my whole repair budget on the 3.5. So I'm going to continue on with my crooked Hyundai engine for now. It didnt come with a PS pump or alternator so i will have to improvise. I already have ms2 so i should only need to do some minor wiring to make it run(i think). This swap isnt going to be pretty but i need my van to be driving next week and this was all i could come up with on such short notice. So stay tuned for the shenanigans.

turbo addict

Replying to follow...

My experience is that you could fabricate brackets to mount the Chrysler accessories on the front of the motor, but you are better off just using the 3.5L versions...

Garrett booster

I got the engine to start today. I have the stock Hyundai coils working. They are logic level coils and do not require extra drivers to be added to the MS2. They are running off the LED circuits directly. There is a strange issue with them firing when the key is turned to the run position. During my first attempts to start the engine it fired from residual fuel in the cylinders at key-on a couple of times. The crank and cam sensors are the same as the 2nd gen 3/S sensors and the 6G72 decoder built in to the MS firmware works. I'm using the stock injectors for now just for the fact that I need this done as quickly as possible(my nice 52lb ev9 injectors are just sitting idle in the injured 12v, dry as a bone ). The fuel lines are on the wrong side of the engine and without using extra parts or removing part of the timing belt cover they cannot be swapped to the other side. If I had an extra crossover pipe i could make it work and use my adjustable regulator but I just extended my hoses to the other side for now. To my horror/astonishment Hyundai decided that it would be a good idea to make both the fuel rails and the lines out of PLASTIC. That kind of blows my mind. Especially the lines jeez. The feed line doesn't even have any sort of clamp. After cutting this plastic feed line off I was left with a nice barb to connect a rubber hose. The TB is a drive-by-wire style so I have to figure something out for that. I believe there are some traditional cable driven mitsu TBs that will bolt up but I may just find a way to make my old 58mm chrysler TB work. Although it's smaller, using it would save the hassle of rewiring and figuring out how the Hyundai IAC works. It has just 2 wires so I'm assuming its a PWM valve but its kind of strange looking so I'm not sure. The TPS is huge and has 4 wires for some reason. This TB sells for almost as much as I paid for the whole engine. There is a small plastic module with a 4 wire connector mounted on the water crossover. The pins are labelled on the plastic housing GND, IGN-,IGN+, and VB. Any idea what that thing might be? The oil pan is much different in that it is cast aluminum and there is a mounting boss to accomodate 4 extra bolts into the bellhousing on the hyundai transmission. To make the front mount fit i had to remove the corner of this extra mounting boss. It doesn't line up with the lower bolt hole on the a543. The edge of the mounting flange for the oil pan interferes with the chrysler starter so I removed the corner bolt from the pan and ground a small amount of metal off the starter itself. I have yet to plumb the radiator or fab a bracket for my alternator and power steering pump. I don't have any exhaust manifolds yet either so no wideband. I'm hoping to have it at least driveable tomorrow. Like I said this is going to be quick and dirty and I will refine it as time goes on. Pics coming soon I promise!

Quote Originally Posted by c2xejk View Post
    My experience is that you could fabricate brackets to mount the Chrysler accessories on the front of the motor, but you are better off just using the 3.5L versions...
    This is the conclusion that I have drawn from the past couple days working on this thing. The main problem is the crank pulley. Even if I were to make the mount plate fit the way it should so that the power steering pump would bolt up I would still have an alignment issue and the alternator bracket is just not gonna work for obvious reasons. The santa fe alternator is 135amps too. With that said, I think its pretty cool that it actually can work without any welding. When I first got my van I didn't have welding capability and my dreams were often shattered by the fact that something like this might require it.

turbo addict

Plastic fuel rails and lines isn't too out of the normal. Been around since the 90's. It's a high temperature, reinforced nylon more than likely. More than capable of doing the required job reliably. Not great for modifying, and crap in a fire, but most people don't modify those parts and fire usually is bad all around, so...yeah...

Garrett booster

what make and model of hyaundi

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by Spiritman View Post
    what make and model of hyaundi
    My particular engine came from a 2004 sante fe. There are several hyundai and kia models that use this engine. It's a 6g74 block with the same DOHC heads that were used in the 3kgt. It has a wasted spark ignition like the 3kgt but varies from that design in that the 3 coils are mounted on the front head in a similar fashion to a COP setup. There are only 3 spark plug wires which run from the coils to the rear spark plugs. The intake is a variable runner style.

I have a couple updates as i have been driving the van for a couple weeks now. I still don't have any exhaust manifolds(very loud. It's a miracle that I haven't been hassled by the police for it) but they are on the way so I will be able to tune it properly soon. I have no wideband right now due to the lack of any sort of exhaust. I bought Kia sedona manifolds because they seem like the best fit for a chrysler out of all the various types I have seen. I still have no power steering. I was able to mount the Saginaw pump but I can't figure out a good way to use a single belt so I think I will probably use a hyundai or mitsubishi pump in the end. I need to get the exhaust in place before I move forward on that. I have the same 120 amp nippondenso alternator from my old engine mounted to the hyundai engine mount bracket which I cut to fit around the chrysler mount plate. The crank pulley is too small which causes the voltage to sag a little at idle. It still stays around 13.8-14v though(normally 14.4v) so it's not too much of a problem. I'm hoping to see my manifolds today or tomorrow. I can't wait to see what it will do when the AFR is where it should be. It's a little on the lean side everywhere and it shows.