Thread: Info needed about 1992 IROC R/T Rims

Mitsu booster

Info needed about 1992 IROC R/T Rims

I am wondering if anyone knows if they would fit who makes them and if someone has a pic of their Daytona with them? I have a 1992 Daytona IROC R/T with 16" wheels and I really like the mesh type wheels that they put on the Trans Am GTA and the Buick GNX (see pics) I am pretty sure these will not fit my car but would like to get a set identical to them, who makes them?? I do know that the Lebaron came with a similar 16" wheel but can't say that I really like them that much and I think the reason being is their is a very small lip on the Lebaron rim, their not deep dished like the GTA/GNX rim. What's do you think?

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Re: Info needed about 1992 IROC R/T Rims

I think some guys have used mesh wheels from the Pontiac Fiero that have a very similar look and deeper dish than any of the Chrysler wheels.

Also, I saw these on eBay recently, so maybe aftermarket is something to look into. You can get them in a variety of colors and the price doesn't seem bad at all. I can't comment on fitment. Anybody know if 15x8 with a +20 offset would fit our cars?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/JNC-004-15X...4AAOSw~y9ZAld0

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by iTurbo View Post
    I think some guys have used mesh wheels from the Pontiac Fiero that have a very similar look and deeper dish than any of the Chrysler wheels.

Also, I saw these on eBay recently, so maybe aftermarket is something to look into. You can get them in a variety of colors and the price doesn't seem bad at all. I can't comment on fitment. Anybody know if 15x8 with a +20 offset would fit our cars?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/JNC-004-15X...4AAOSw~y9ZAld0
    Those are exactly what I'm looking for if they will fit

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

I've always like that style too, especially with a good deep lip. I'm personally hoping that the JNC-004 (15x8, +20mm) will fit my Omni GLH. I think the stock strut body would be the first issue, but if I gotta install some BC coil-overs, so bit it.

I think there might be similar styles of 16" wheels available too, but finding a suitable size tire might be more challenging than 15"s.

I think I have heard that the mesh Fiero GT wheels were a staggered setup. The rears being wider and having more dish of course. Finding 4 of those (rears) would be difficult I imagine.

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by iTurbo View Post
    I've always like that style too, especially with a good deep lip. I'm personally hoping that the JNC-004 (15x8, +20mm) will fit my Omni GLH. I think the stock strut body would be the first issue, but if I gotta install some BC coil-overs, so bit it.

I think there might be similar styles of 16" wheels available too, but finding a suitable size tire might be more challenging than 15"s.

I think I have heard that the mesh Fiero GT wheels were a staggered setup. The rears being wider and having more dish of course. Finding 4 of those (rears) would be difficult I imagine.
    I called JNC today, I sat on hold for about 45 minutes before I finally said to heck with it and hung up, I will try again tomorrow with hopefully better luck. I am definitely looking for a 16" rim if they make an exact rim like the GNX rims that would be awesome.

turbo addict

I had some 15X8" mesh custom wheels made for my GLHS many years ago. They were a 16" forged BBS center section that was cut down to 15". Originally they were a three piece wheel, but the wheel company made them into a two piece wheel. I did go with a slightly different offset front to rear but can't remember exactly what the actual offset was. It was a very, very, tight fit putting 225/50/15's on a Omni. Sold the car and the wheels went with the car (along with the Centurions). The guy ended up selling the GLHS to another TM member in Detroit, but the wheels were sold to M. Mills in Canada. The guy that owns my old GLHS actually bought Fiero wheels (for a second set of wheels for the car), but the wheels are not nearly as nice as the forged wheels I had made up. The guy that bought the forged wheels, put them on his nice Lancer Shelby. I had them on my GLHS for a short time, but for some reason I haven't been able to find any pictures I took of the car with them on. This was before I had a digital camera. I had it in a couple Car Craft Nationals shows that showed the factory wheels on one side of the car, while the other side had the 15X8" wheels. It was sort of a Jekyll & Hyde theme or street and race trim. It was really well received. Here is a couple pics of M. Mills Lancer Shelby with the wheels I had made up on his car.
    Todd

Oh BTW, this was a very copied rim from BBS. There are many companies that pretty much stole this design from the original BBS wheel. Some are cast, while others are forged, so careful what your comparing to. Mine were very light at either just under 12 or 13 lbs. Pretty light for a 8" wide wheel.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mike mills LS.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	182.3 KB 
ID:	64160   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lancer shelby.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	47.4 KB 
ID:	64161  

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by 4 l-bodies View Post
    I had some 15X8" mesh custom wheels made for my GLHS many years ago. They were a 16" forged BBS center section that was cut down to 15". Originally they were a three piece wheel, but the wheel company made them into a two piece wheel. I did go with a slightly different offset front to rear but can't remember exactly what the actual offset was. It was a very, very, tight fit putting 225/50/15's on a Omni. Sold the car and the wheels went with the car (along with the Centurions). The guy ended up selling the GLHS to another TM member in Detroit, but the wheels were sold to M. Mills in Canada. The guy that owns my old GLHS actually bought Fiero wheels (for a second set of wheels for the car), but the wheels are not nearly as nice as the forged wheels I had made up. The guy that bought the forged wheels, put them on his nice Lancer Shelby. I had them on my GLHS for a short time, but for some reason I haven't been able to find any pictures I took of the car with them on. This was before I had a digital camera. I had it in a couple Car Craft Nationals shows that showed the factory wheels on one side of the car, while the other side had the 15X8" wheels. It was sort of a Jekyll & Hyde theme or street and race trim. It was really well received. Here is a couple pics of M. Mills Lancer Shelby with the wheels I had made up on his car.
    Todd

Oh BTW, this was a very copied rim from BBS. There are many companies that pretty much stole this design from the original BBS wheel. Some are cast, while others are forged, so careful what your comparing to. Mine were very light at either just under 12 or 13 lbs. Pretty light for a 8" wide wheel.
    Those are some pretty nice rims, I got online last night and looked for hours trying to find an exact or pretty darn close to stock size BBS mesh type rim, 16x6 5x100 lug pattern +40 offset and I am not having much luck. Maybe I will call BBS since it sounds like they will make me a rim.

Hybrid booster

Those BBS style wheels would look dynomite on a Daytona!

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by Wastelands Warrior View Post
    Those BBS style wheels would look dynomite on a Daytona!
    Hell Yeah!!

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by 4 l-bodies View Post
    Todd

I called BBK they said they don't make anything like that to fit my car but they do have the custom department that will make it for around $1000 a wheel. Nah... That's a little too much for my Daytona, the search continues!!

Mitsu booster

Sorry I meant BBS