Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Woosh from brake booster

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Woosh from brake booster

My CSX brakes appear to work fine driving on my 50 ft driveway as i get it ready for the BIG provincial inspection as it is a imported vehicle.
    The booster has a much louder woosh than either my Sundance or Daytona. Will this concern the mechanics that are inspecting?
    Regards,
    Miles

DD '87 Sundance T1, SLH with rear disks
    '87 CSX #432 2.5 CB TII, SLH

turbo addict

Re: Woosh from brake booster

They will not have any concern for the engine or transmission.
    they'll look for body rot/sharp edges, bad suspension, cracked glass, working lights including dash, horn, tires, brakes, driver door handle.
    1988 Lancer Shelby 2.2TII 1989 Shadow ES 2.5TI 1992 Lebaron Sedan 3.0Auto 1993 Acclaim 2.5TI-A520 Hoard parts now!

Quote Originally Posted by raccoon View Post
    They will not have any concern for the engine or transmission.
    they'll look for body rot/sharp edges, bad suspension, cracked glass, working lights including dash, horn, tires, brakes, driver door handle.
    Thanks
    Even with the new certification process that came into effect 3 years ago in Ontario?
    I was also told the defrost temperature must be warm, mine is barely warm, No rust on the rotors etc...
    Regards,
    Miles

turbo addict

They had to ease up, it was pushing people to buy new over service. There might be a few more white/black items but Ive had no problems since the new standards came into play. Ive used people I know and random places like Canadian tire. oddly Canadian tire I find will pass anything.
    1988 Lancer Shelby 2.2TII 1989 Shadow ES 2.5TI 1992 Lebaron Sedan 3.0Auto 1993 Acclaim 2.5TI-A520 Hoard parts now!

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Thermocure from Walmart as a system flush. Talk about amazing, I start getting heat output in 2 minutes.
    1994 Shadow Sedan. 2.2 N/A, A568 400,000 miles. "the science experiment"
    1987 Shelby CSX #418. Long term rebuild and restore ?

On the heater core, on my '94 Shadow I flushed it, then blew out as much liquid as I could, Filled it with vinegar, let it sit over night, blew the vinegar out, flushed it with distilled water, then reconnected the heater core lines to the engine, filled and bled the system and heat was MUCH better. Sounds like a lot, but it easier than putting a new heater core in... ( I assume the engine gets up to temperature properly...)

They had to ease up, it was pushing people to buy new over service. There might be a few more white/black items but Ive had no problems since the new standards came into play. Ive used people I know and random places like Canadian tire. oddly Canadian tire I find will pass anything.
    Thanks for the tip. BTW, the CSX is originally from the southern US so very little rust and in very good shape other than sun damaged paint. Damaged paint was stripped and painted with Tremclad via roller for now til I am ready.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 135sohc View Post
    Thermocure from Walmart as a system flush. Talk about amazing, I start getting heat output in 2 minutes.
    Not available in Canada and don't see it at the regular places here in Canada. I assume regular Evapo-rust would work as well

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by c2xejk View Post
    On the heater core, on my '94 Shadow I flushed it, then blew out as much liquid as I could, Filled it with vinegar, let it sit over night, blew the vinegar out, flushed it with distilled water, then reconnected the heater core lines to the engine, filled and bled the system and heat was MUCH better. Sounds like a lot, but it easier than putting a new heater core in... ( I assume the engine gets up to temperature properly...)
    Maybe I can give this a go, I really dont want to rip the dash apart at this time
    Regards,
    Miles

Hybrid booster

Get some CLR cleaner from wally world or amazon or the local plumber.
    put about 2 cups in the radiator. and let the car cycle it. get to temp. 10-15 minutes.

let the car sit for a hour or two and drain the coolant.

Remove both radiator hoses.

stick a garden hose in the TOP radiator connection and `back flush' the radiator with a garden hose for 5-10 minutes.

pop thermostat off. and back flush engine with garden hose for 5-10 minutes.

let it drain and dry. fill it up with a couple gallons of grocery store distilled water and your choice of coolant/water wetter stuff. ( but dont use water wetter brand water wetter)

Quote Originally Posted by masterjr33 View Post
    Get some CLR cleaner from wally world or amazon or the local plumber.
    put about 2 cups in the radiator. and let the car cycle it. get to temp. 10-15 minutes.

let the car sit for a hour or two and drain the coolant.
    Thank you
    Regards,
    Miles

I assume no one is concerned on the louder woosh for the booster. That is good! I assume it is air going into the back side of the booster but why would it be significantly louder?
    Regards,
    Miles

turbo addict

I thought the same about mine. It's way louder than my shadow, but stops just fine.

Hybrid booster

there is a diaphram inside the booster. and its torn a little. or a hole in it. you hear the vacuum leak.
    when the pedal gets harder or you loose vaccum it will be time to replace it.
    do your self a favor now and go ahead and start putting some pb blaster on the bolts or your preferred bolt breaker.

Quote Originally Posted by masterjr33 View Post
    there is a diaphram inside the booster. and its torn a little. or a hole in it. you hear the vacuum leak.
    when the pedal gets harder or you loose vaccum it will be time to replace it.
    do your self a favor now and go ahead and start putting some pb blaster on the bolts or your preferred bolt breaker.
    Thanks that makes sense.
    Regards,
    Miles

turbo addict

when the booster leak gets bad enough it will start stalling during off ramp braking as you roll up to the stop light
    been there , done that

turbo addict

Oh also for the heat, check the lines at the heater core / firewall connection, mine sagged and the lines were kinked at the connection. I cut about 1 inch off each line and fixed the heat in my 89 shadow.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Johny Dodge View Post
    when the booster leak gets bad enough it will start stalling during off ramp braking as you roll up to the stop light
    been there , done that
    Ya but Johny, I usually push the clutch in to prevent stalling from happening..LOL, Thanks
    Regards,
    Miles

Oh also for the heat, check the lines at the heater core / firewall connection, mine sagged and the lines were kinked at the connection. I cut about 1 inch off each line and fixed the heat in my 89 shadow.
    I checked the lines last night as the girl's were watching the big game, The heater core easily passes water and air, a kinked line is possible as the PO had a very long oddly routed lines.
    I will reassemble later today.
    Regards,
    Miles

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by chromguy View Post
    Ya but Johny, I usually push the clutch in to prevent stalling from happening..LOL, Thanks
    that.. won't make a bit of difference

it's the long ride on the brakes to a stop that stalls the engine , even out of gear

that long ramp from hwy 2A to port union was guaranteed a stall every time as I approached the lights

(carb turismo with 5spd - new booster fixed it right up)

and in case ever needed
    stalling during left turns ESPECIALLY in drive throughs .. if your tilt column is sloppy that's the cause
    sloppy / lose top of tilt cllm pulls start switch rod upwards - shuts off ignition

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Johny Dodge View Post
    that.. won't make a bit of difference

it's the long ride on the brakes to a stop that stalls the engine , even out of gear

that long ramp from hwy 2A to port union was guaranteed a stall every time as I approached the lights

(carb turismo with 5spd - new booster fixed it right up)

and in case ever needed
    stalling during left turns ESPECIALLY in drive throughs .. if your tilt column is sloppy that's the cause
    sloppy / lose top of tilt cllm pulls start switch rod upwards - shuts off ignition
    Ok bad joking on my side, I was trying to suggest that your car was stalling cause you did not push the clutch in!!!
    Regards,
    Miles

turbo addict

sometimes I still try the clutch..even though I've driven auto for most of the last ten-twenty years..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast