Thread: 62TE Upgrades - Transfer Gear Interchangeability?

Mitsu booster

62TE Upgrades - Transfer Gear Interchangeability?

At some point in the next year or so I'd like to start upgrading the powertrain on my 2015 Grand Caravan, at this time i'm looking for low hanging fruit.

Are there any transfer gears that are interchangeable with the 62TE that will offer a lower gear ratio (higher numeric, closer ratio)? My limited understanding shows there might be a small opportunity for tweaking the gear ratio if other gears are available and if the PCM doesn't freak for some reason.

Ultimately I'd like more manual control over the trans than the AutoStick offers, an LSD, and the ability to handle 400ish torques while still being family vacation-able. Transmission wise this will likely involve a built or different transmission.

Thanks!
    P

..and a few pics to show since i'm a new member:

Lowered on custom fabbed and valved Koni adjustables

and the current 4-piston 14.25 x 1.25" rotor big brake build

Hybrid booster

Re: 62TE Upgrades - Transfer Gear Interchangeability?

Cool stuff. I have a 62TE in my 2013 Avenger and I'm afraid of it going kablooie with just some bolt ons. Don't know if there is anyone building them to withstand more power.

Hybrid booster

Cool stuff. I have a 62TE in my 2013 Avenger and I'm afraid of it going kablooie with just some bolt ons. Don't know if there is anyone building them to withstand more power.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor GLHS60's Avatar

Welcome, nice Caravan!!

When I was looking at vehicles for my wife in 2011 I noticed some Caravans showed a Limited Slip Diff.

Forgot about it until now, still wondering if the window sticker was accurate or if it was referring to something else.

She ended up with a 2011 200 Limited with the 3.6 and 6 speed, I think the vans got a stronger 6 speed.

The car 3.6's have a tortured Y pipe, looks aching for improvement, not sure about the vans.

Thanks
    Randy

There is no logical reason to call an Engine a motor.

Randy Hicks
    86 GLHS60
    86 GLHS 373 : SOLD, but never forgotten
    89 Turbo Minivan
    83 Turbo Rampage : SOLD
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by GLHS60 View Post
    Welcome, nice Caravan!!

When I was looking at vehicles for my wife in 2011 I noticed some Caravans showed a Limited Slip Diff.

Forgot about it until now, still wondering if the window sticker was accurate or if it was referring to something else.

She ended up with a 2011 200 Limited with the 3.6 and 6 speed, I think the vans got a stronger 6 speed.

The car 3.6's have a tortured Y pipe, looks aching for improvement, not sure about the vans.

Thanks
    Randy
    Regarding LSD, it does not have a mechanical LSD. With engine and brake trickery it does a pretty good job of mimicking an LSD in a straightish line when traction is less than ideal, but it's no Quaife in a GTI feel (sorry, showing my VW roots).

Quote Originally Posted by ptwelve View Post
    Regarding LSD, it does not have a mechanical LSD. With engine and brake trickery it does a pretty good job of mimicking an LSD in a straightish line when traction is less than ideal, but it's no Quaife in a GTI feel (sorry, showing my VW roots).
    Appreciate the explanation. I found it strange only some units had it listed.

Thanks
    Randy

Randy Hicks
    86 GLHS60
    89 Turbo Minivan
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada

turbo addict

I've never seen a fwd automatic Chrysler trans with an lsd from the factory. I don't know if the TCM would like different transfer gears. It uses an input and output speed sensor to determine shifts.

turbo addict

There's a number of different transfer and FD gear sets for the 42TE. It depends on what vehicle, etc. There used to be some good information out there on this. With a dealership type OBDII tool you can change certain things in the TCM program.

The problem is that the OD clutches WILL NOT take the type of power you want to make. Even though the internals of the rest of it can be made to take the power, OD just won't. Plus, there's NO reprogramming options for the 42TE (even though it's been requested for over 20 years!).

You probably can fit a Pelquin or TU LSD in it.

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by thedon809 View Post
    I've never seen a fwd automatic Chrysler trans with an lsd from the factory. I don't know if the TCM would like different transfer gears. It uses an input and output speed sensor to determine shifts.
    Thanks for the info! I wonder if this is something that can be reflashed through the OBDii/canbus

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    There's a number of different transfer and FD gear sets for the 42TE. It depends on what vehicle, etc. There used to be some good information out there on this. With a dealership type OBDII tool you can change certain things in the TCM program.

The problem is that the OD clutches WILL NOT take the type of power you want to make. Even though the internals of the rest of it can be made to take the power, OD just won't. Plus, there's NO reprogramming options for the 42TE (even though it's been requested for over 20 years!).

You probably can fit a Pelquin or TU LSD in it.
    42TE? I'm not familiar with that transmission

I am a senior level mechanical design engineer and I know about a thimbles worth of info on automatic transmissions :/ .... do you have any idea what the OD clutches can take? Can custom clutches be made?

Any idea on who might know if/what needs to be addressed in the TCM program with different gearing?

Perhaps a mild NA build of the engine, a gearing change and an LSD in the transmission will placate me. I also wonder how much the shift torque management of the engine can help keep the trans alive... heck, that might be how the 2 rated trans is coping with the torque as is

If this doesn't work PLAN B is stupid, expensive, time consuming and pretty much starts with me buying 2 more vans :facepalm:

turbo addict

The 62te is basically a 42te/a604 with an underdrive compounder unit in place of the transfer shaft. The underdrive compounder houses 2 clutch packs and an over running clutch. This unit is pretty small so I doubt it can handle much power. This unit gives the formally 4 speed 42te, 7 forward gears.

Mitsu booster

Hey glhs60 im new to the group but could use a little help with my horizon. I here you did a little work on it back in the day and your the guy to talk to abought these turbo 2.2s around edmonton. Blue 87 horizon i bought from my friend Tom.

Hey Demon:

I never actually worked on the car but remember it and Tom.

PM your phone # and I'll give you a call.

Thanks
    Randy

Randy Hicks
    86 GLHS60
    89 Turbo Minivan
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada