Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1988 LeBaron 4 dr 2.5 TBI

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor GLHS60's Avatar

1988 LeBaron 4 dr 2.5 TBI

My 1988 LeBaron 4 dr, 2.5 TBI fuel pump went bad after sitting several months.

Now that I'm recovering from a stroke I'm interested in driving it again.

Anyone know if the pump can be changed without dropping the tank?

Also, is the access hole at the rear or front end of the tank?

With only 1 arm/hand functioning properly I'm trying to decide if I should tackle this job.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks
    Randy

There is no logical reason to call an Engine a motor.

Randy Hicks
    86 GLHS60
    86 GLHS 373 : SOLD, but never forgotten
    89 Turbo Minivan
    83 Turbo Rampage : SOLD
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: 1988 LeBaron 4 dr 2.5 TBI

They're all in the rear of the tank. I can weaseled them out of Daytonas and Shadows without dropping the tank down. I'm not sure about a Lebaron, but I would think it to be similar. I'm not sure that I could do it with one hand though. Even just to do the punch with the hammer would be rough to get the lock ring off.

Appreciate the reply.

My experience is mostly L body and Minivan so I wasn't sure about the location.

I'm not totally 1 handed, my left is very weak and tremors badly when asked to work.

I managed to pump up the tires and install the battery in my riding mower today to get it functional.

Cutting grass for a couple of hours got me motivated to consider taking on another challenge!

I probably should try to swap my van winter tires over to summer before tackling the fuel pump.

Thanks
    Randy

Randy Hicks
    86 GLHS60
    89 Turbo Minivan
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada

turbo addict

Certainly do-able. Sounds like a great reason to invite a friend over for a little assistance & enjoy a beverage of choice afterwards.
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor 85lebaront2's Avatar

If you loosen the tank straps to the end of their travel it will help with access to the pump. Rear suspension will be in the way, but if the car is supported on the body with jackstands, then the axle and track bar will be mostly clear. It still involves a bit of reaching through and around suspension parts.

Is the fuel pump access hole in the tank nearest the suspension or the rear bumper??

Are the tank strap bolts nearest the suspension??

Trying to figure why the suspension is in the way.

I haven't been under it yet due to where it's sitting, trying to get a feel for the job.

Reaching/working through the suspension will be problematic at this time for sure.

Appreciate the input!!

Thanks
    Randy

Quote Originally Posted by 85lebaront2 View Post
    If you loosen the tank straps to the end of their travel it will help with access to the pump. Rear suspension will be in the way, but if the car is supported on the body with jackstands, then the axle and track bar will be mostly clear. It still involves a bit of reaching through and around suspension parts.

Randy Hicks
    86 GLHS60
    89 Turbo Minivan
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada

Appreciate the reply but I live way out of town, no friends and only drink cola.

Thanks
    Randy

Quote Originally Posted by 86Shelby View Post
    Certainly do-able. Sounds like a great reason to invite a friend over for a little assistance & enjoy a beverage of choice afterwards.

Randy Hicks
    86 GLHS60
    89 Turbo Minivan
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

On the k based chassis the track bar and angle brace is like perfectly in the way. I can do the pump on a P body with the tank installed but dropped down and supported on a thick piece of plywood and floor jack with the tank straps still holding the front edge of the tank from falling. That is also with the track bar and brace removed. Dont forget the filler pipe...

One handed I cannot see it going well.
    1994 Shadow Sedan. 2.2 N/A, A568 400,000 miles. "the science experiment"
    1987 Shelby CSX #418. Long term rebuild and restore ?

Now it's getting clearer, the tank is under the back seat, I forgot about that.

Now I remember, the last pump I changed was a 1995 Acclaim with a broken track bar.

That one had a fuel pump module but the 1988 should not, I think.

Probably a bit more wiggle room without the module, maybe.

Thanks
    Randy

Randy Hicks
    86 GLHS60
    89 Turbo Minivan
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada

Randy the K based cars look like this underneath:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3007.jpg 
Views:	527 
Size:	289.6 KB 
ID:	64137  

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

I always remove the tank out so I can give it a good rinse. I think lowering the tank straps down as much as possible will help if you are doing it with the tank still installed in the car. Also, don't forget to remove the 4 phillips screws inside the fuel fill door so that the fill tube can drop down a bit too, otherwise it may break the plastic flange. The fill tube will probably have to be pushed into the tank a bit to allow the tube/tank to drop a bit for better access. Also spray the tank strap threads down with PB Blaster or at least WD-40. I've broken one of those before and that sucks.

Randy the K based cars look like this underneath:
    Appreciate you taking the time!!

Quote Originally Posted by iTurbo View Post
    I always remove the tank out so I can give it a good rinse. I think lowering the tank straps down as much as possible will help if you are doing it with the tank still installed in the car. Also, don't forget to remove the 4 phillips screws inside the fuel fill door so that the fill tube can drop down a bit too, otherwise it may break the plastic flange. The fill tube will probably have to be pushed into the tank a bit to allow the tube/tank to drop a bit for better access. Also spray the tank strap threads down with PB Blaster or at least WD-40. I've broken one of those before and that sucks.
    Normally I'm not a short cutter and would remove and check/clean the rank.

Might be easier to deal with the lock ring with the tank out though.

Appreciate the fuel filler tube and fill door reminder too.

The Acclaim I did last broke a tank strap stud but there was enough thread left to use a coupling nut.

Just bought a new can of PB Blaster Friday, never saw it before, will use it for sure.

Trying to work up the strength, courage and determination to tackle the job.

First need an auxiliary fuel system to get it running to drive in the shop.

I have a Turbo fuel pump in a metal gas can for emergencies but TBI requires lower pressure.

Might have to resurrect my windshield washer tank/ pump fuel system as its about 30psi

Was going to have a closer look today but the mosquitos were the size of bees and very aggressive.

Thanks
    Randy

Randy Hicks
    86 GLHS60
    89 Turbo Minivan
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada

PB Blaster works well, I have used it on many things, particularly on my 1986 konvertible.

On the picture, it was one I had already uploaded in my build thread showing my new ethanol resistant hoses and the new full circle hose clamps.

Good luck with it sir, and watch out for those blood sucking helicopters.

turbo addict

buy a CAA membership...FREE TOWING IS GOOD !!!

Good luck with it sir, and watch out for those blood sucking helicopters.
    - ours here have black n white D Day stripes in their wings ...no kidding

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by GLHS60 View Post
    Trying to work up the strength, courage and determination to tackle the job.

First need an auxiliary fuel system to get it running to drive in the shop.
    I have a Turbo fuel pump in a metal gas can for emergencies but TBI requires lower pressure.

Thanks
    Randy
    The Turbo pump should be fine as the regulator sets pressure and the return line is the same as on the turbo cars?

If you pull the tank, I'd imagine setting up something on the jack to keep the tank from moving around would help a ton.

Most people underestimate their capability and best way to get back some strength is to keep trying to work on projects. If you're taking Warfarin/Coumadin keep up with the diet and don't let your INR get too high.

Jeff Chojnacki
    87 LeBaron 2.2 T2
    88 Caravan 5spd 2.2 T2

turbo addict

re blood thinners
    consider getting a really good pair of work gloves .. preferable padded somewhat

my father's best friend had to give up his model a when the thinners made his hands into one huge bruise when he tried working on things
    so be careful of that along with slicing yourself on something

Randy, I was on Coumadin back in 2001 after knee replacement surgery. I had to buy an electric razor as I wasn't allowed to use a blade. I had to get blood work to check the level weekly at first which involved my wife taking me from Newport News VA to Richmond VA as the surgery and management were at Medical College of Virginia. It was transferred to my primary care physician after a couple of months. To top it off I couldn't drive my konvertible, no driving for I think it was 2 months.

Fortunately my employer's medical leave policy for salaried employees was 90 days at full salary, then dropped to 50%. At the end of the 90 days, I went through the clinic to be cleared to return after speaking with my department manager. Good guy to work for, he said he would find something even if it was checking lab reports in the conference room if the stairs would be a problem.

Unfortunately, one of the absolute best stroke/brain injury rehab centers is no where near you, it is the Woodrow Wilson Rehab center in Fishersville Virginia, USA. The advice about using the affected limbs is dead on, your brain will find alternate areas to use. Good friend who is my age had a mini-stroke a couple of years ago, he is left handed and he found his fine motor skills on that side were essentially gone, since he is an aircraft inspector and also a pilot he was very concerned. We were doing something one day and he suddenly realized that his left hand was cooperating about half way through. His brain had corrected his problem.

turbo addict

and google research your meds

I had three stints done the spring before last (right femoral artery , right hip and left lower aorta )

they prescribed plavix and me not knowing better went for the generic version - which was a mistake

taking the generic plavix for about three days I developed a red spotty rash .. and a blister of fluid on my hip
    I stopped taking it for a few days , tried again with the same side effect

researching the generic plavix brand and the company that produces it I found it's noted that company has a reputation for contaminants in their product

switched to the "real" plavix" and that issue went away

then I noted the large number of coronary incidents associated with plavix so I quit it too and made a few lifestyle changes - mostly diet related

quitting smoking is still getting the better of me but at least it's not 1-2 , maybe part of the third pack a day now (green pack export --A's - so "real cigarettes")

my father had an issue with his legs swelling during the day , it would go back down overnight

this went on for years and years until he lost his mobility and I started taking care of him at home

then he had the issue of his legs swelling and not going back to normal

the doctor changed him off the plavix and put him on coumadin and weekly inr tests

not only did the swelling go away , but it never came back - the many years of daily routine of swelling were over

only real difference was a new doctor and the change in medication he prescribed

if our family doctor of 50 years haven't past away we might never have seen the issue resolved by the new doctor

so second opinions really are worth checking too

and , "weigh" the opinion against the doctor , so to say
    the old doctor was of my father's generation
    the new one was from mine

sort of an old standard treatment vs a new idea

apply as you see fit in your case

to add
    if you're fortunate enough to find yourself in a position to give home care to a parent , even considering the many past differences and arguments - try it I doubt you'll ever regret it

yes it will be frustrating and as we get really old sometimes our worst characteristics intensify ...

sitting doing not much for 5 years beyond waiting to hear "JOHN" yelled from the end of the hall is something that although frustrating as hell .. I will always be thankful for that
    "extra concentrated" time together

and in my case it gave me an interesting "life's ruler"
    same house 47 years later , same lime green bathroom where as a tiny little kid I talk with Dad first thing in the morning as he shaved and got ready for work
    to
    prying him outta bead , hoisting him up and hugging him from behind a I held him up to waddle into the bathroom .. the same unchanged forever one .. and standing in the same spot so he wouldn't fall ..gives one a unique perspective to be sure

not to get political , but after sitting looking after dad for five years , I was in no position to have to pay for those three stints - yeah I did the cost research..
    our system may be far from perfect but my total cost was a day of my time and the gas it took my truck to get to and from the hospital twice

I saved the 16 bucks for parking had a buddy pick me up with my own truck that afternoon

- and they had no idea I needed the stint in the left lower aorta until they had me on the table ready to start - so it was an add on in the moment

Dad also had a few instances when he had to go to hospital for TCI (?)
    temporary reduced blood to the brain

if someone says something that makes NO SENSE AT ALL , repeatedly
    call 911

I sat dinner in front of him and he asked "where's the nickels and dimes ...?"
    over and over
    Last edited by Dr. Johny Dodge; 06-04-2019 at 11:01 AM.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Sure wish I could take a big road trip up there and knock it out for you Randy. I can't remember the last time I even left Gillette city limits. It would be a nice break from the grind!

Randy, I was on Coumadin back in 2001 after knee replacement surgery. I had to buy an electric razor as I wasn't allowed to use a blade.

We were doing something one day and he suddenly realized that his left hand was cooperating about half way through. His brain had corrected his problem.
    I'm not on any blood thinners but meds, or something, are causing me havoc.

Encouraging to hear about your friend regaining the use of his left hand!!

Progress is slow but I can now scratch my head, retrieve keys from my pocket and even put my finger in my ear.

Minor things for sure but accomplishments all the same, after losing the ability.

If this wasn't public I'd speak about scratching my nu^^s but I don't want to sound crude!!

Thanks
    Randy

Randy Hicks
    86 GLHS60
    89 Turbo Minivan
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast