Thread: MPSciLink Device Display Install

boostaholic

MPSciLink Device Display Install

I have been posting my progress over on Facebook in the support group, but I thought I should share this with the community that supports these cars. I wanted to take what the team that developed the MPSciLink product and take it to the next level. I have a 1992 Dodge Daytona. I did some research and discovered that the 3.5" Nextion touchscreen that they were offering would fit very well into the lower center storage bin in my car.
    So I set about with a concept and modeled up the lower storage bin, 3.5" touchscreen, a couple of rocker switches and some other components that I used for another auxiliary project.
    Here is that concept:

So then I set about making some templates on paper to check fitment.

Also, once I received the device, I started playing with it and learning the possibilities.

I did some more mock-up along the way.

I decided that I wanted to add 4 external sensors to the system:
    Fuel Pressure
    Oil Pressure
    Oil Temperature
    Exhaust Gas Temperature (EGT).
    I set out and chose some sensors and I did all the testing to verify that my data was accurate and repeatable.

I built an EGT amplifier to convert the Type k output to a 0-5V input that the MPSciLink can read and record.

I built the front plate with nothing more than a template and some simple hand tools. Here are a couple photos of test fitting the front beauty plate.

I attached the displays to the plate, then added the switches and wired up everything inside, I would test all connections and operations at all steps to ensure that I wouldn't find a bug later on.

I built some disconnect plugs so the device is easy to disconnect from the car when something fails.

Final test fit.

I wanted to write this up so others can get an idea on how to mount the MPSciLink display. I wanted something that looked as close to OEM as I could build. I dont have a lot of money in this, it just took at lot of my time. I hope this gives others an idea of what is possible.

Side Note: I did not talk at all about the Ethanol Content Display I developed at the same time. If there is interest, I could do a write up on that as well. There is nothing special going on there as well, everything required is available online to duplicate, if you have the time and want. Also the two LED rocker switches are for another project too, I've been busy this winter working on electronic projects.

turbo addict

Re: MPSciLink Device Display Install

That is super nice! Looks great., What software did you use to model that? I am looking for an affordable option to design up some of my ideas.

boostaholic

I use Solidworks, I have the software on my work laptop and modeled this up on a weekend. I am not sure what options are out there that are affordable. I have been using Solidworks for 10 years now and it is my preferred program. I have use Onshape before as a trial , but the version I used means all my data is public.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor shmedley's Avatar

What sensors did you use for the Oil Temperature, Fuel and Oil Pressure?
    Thanks Brad S. SDAC National Proud Member SDAC Chicago Proud Member 14 Ram 1500 86 Shelby Charger "Chicago Stock"

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Great work Bradd! Thanks for posting it here for those that don't frequent FB.
    This is the best example I've seen so far of what the team expected folks do with the device.
    For others that see this, please share your project ideas!
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Fantastic
    Regards,
    Miles

DD '87 Sundance T1, SLH with rear disks
    '87 CSX #432 2.5 CB TII, SLH

Garrett booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Nice job! I'd like to see more info about the ethanol sensor setup. I was going to try this: https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...ntent-Analyzer
    It's on the back burner for me at the moment

boostaholic

Took the car to SDAC and the displays were looking good. Had some issues with the EGT working on the way down, but the plug was not fully seated. Oil temp gauge is not functional at all right now, but I think that is an issue with my wiring. I'll dig into that pretty soon. Once I got the ethanol content sensor plumbed in and wired, that worked well the entire time, the fuel temp reading will fluctuate more than I like, so I will dig into that to see if I can average it over more time.