Thread: WTT- 87 AMC eagle for a turbo dodge

WTT- 87 AMC eagle for a turbo dodge

I might want to get back into turbo dodges, so I'll start by maybe trading my eagle. I have an 87' AMC eagle wagon, yeah the old 4x4 ones! Most people don't even know what this car is, the usual reaction is ''they didn't make and eagle in 87'' not realizing I'm not referring to the DSM eagle I'm referring to an American Motor Cars vehicle! Anyway, the car is in pretty good shape. Exterior is very good, only rust is on the front end below the bumper but is very insignificant and does not affect anything. It has the infamous 258 6 cylinder, 2 barrel carbureted. Auto tranny, 3 speed no overdrive but it has highway gearing. Cruising at 70-75 is nothing. The 4 wheel drive works drive, just a flip of the switch even on the fly and you're in 4wd. It has about 144K on it, something in that area. The A/C condenser leaks, but the A/C does work you just have to throw a can of refrigerant in it every now and then. I've found a new condenser for $100 on the internet, can get you the link if wanted....A/C was a rare option in these cars!
    I'll list the bad here now. It will need an alignment, it wears the outside of the right front tire. I rotated the tires so it wouldn't completely make it bald on the outside. It needs a new front E-brake cable, simple install and it only costs $20 from autozone. Last thing is it seems to be only getting about 14 MPG right now, it got 17-19 when I first got it. They don't get great mileage since it's a 6 cylinder, but if you go easy enough you should get around 20 MPG. There's a guy on ebay that sells a motorcraft 2100 carb conversion, whole kit in a box specifically designed for these engines...should give you more power, better mileage, and no more studdering too. Amc did a retarded thing, they used a have computer controlled carburetor, hard to explain how it works but this carbed engine actually has an O2 sensor! The motorcraft carb takes care of all that junk. One last thing on the bad, but it could be good potentially. I replaced the CAT with a glasspack, no big deal if you don't have emissions testing but here in PA in most counties you do. I just got it inspected in September so it's good until atleast next september. It also doesn't have EGR anymore, but if you are like me you have a guy that if you slip an extra $20 too him he'll pass it for you! The exhaust leaks slightly at the donut, just letting you know. One other thing, not sure if this matters to some people but there is no headliner. I don't care, but just letting you know. It's an 87', you can't expect a flawless car if I want to trade it for a turbo dodge right? LOL, I'm not expecting a flawless turbo dodge either.
    The good. I changed the stock ECU controlled piece of crap ignition system to an HEI one wire hookup system and 8mm plug wires. Works excellent, gave the car a lot more pep and cleaned up a lot of crap under the hood. Apart from getting bad mileage, the car runs like a dream. Fires up with just a split second of cranking, and now with the new distributor it idles so smooth sometimes you can't tell it's running! I'm in the middle of putting in a new fuel pump since it just yesterday starting giving me a little issues of cutting out under heavy throttle and/or uphill conditions. So that will be new. I also have a new set of brake pads, I haven't had time to install them but they will go with. I'm not sure what the condition of the rear shoes are. Another plus is the rims, they are aluminum and from a 90's cherokee. I think they look great.
    OK that was a lot of reading, any more you want to know just let me know. I'm looking for a turbo dodge in trade, not really interested in any N/A vehicles or V6's. MUST BE A MANUAL TRANSMISSION! That is an absolute must, I've hated automatics all my life, this eagle I didn't pay for thats why I have it....I wouldn't have bought an automatic. Anyway, my perfect trade would be an 88' daytona T2 car. I will also consider others on course, my second choice would be a shadow. The only thing I don't want is an L body or an automatic. Anything else as long as it's turbo and a 5 speed let me know.
    Located near harrisburg, PA. Would prefer as local as possible but if the deal is good enough I will consider out of state purchases. This car is worth in the $1200 area, so if you are interested in it outright I will sell it but the $1200 is firm I paid $1100 for it a few months ago and have put a few hundred into it. It's a nice car I just hate automatics, it's driving me crazy.
    Last edited by moparzrule; 03-31-2007 at 03:06 PM.

Re: WTT- 87 AMC eagle for a turbo dodge

Quote Originally Posted by moparzrule View Post
    I might want to get back into turbo dodges
    HA I remember like a year ago, "I'm getting out of turbo dodges", Its like the plaque, hope you get one Matt

I'll probably have the need for speed for a long time. I am getting married in December so she'll try to settle me down anyway. The thing that makes me want to get a turbo dodge is I like driving manual transmission turbo cars, nothing like the sound of a BOV with every shift! I scared the crap out of her in my daytona though and she probably does not want me to get another, but oh well I couldn't give up a race to an LS1 when I knew I could win! I let up at 110 MPH with him a few lengths behind but my Fiance' (she was just my G/F then) was so scared and later she yelled at me for like 2 days and refused to get back into my car. Good thing she wasn't there when I went 145 MPH once racing a vette.
    Hey I forgot to add this eagle has a brand spankin new 3 core copper radiator in it, cost me $200 bucks.

Garrett booster

I've always wanted one of those and that one is damn nice looking.

THe nice thing about this eagle is it doesn't look like grandma's car, which is what they typically look like.
    I'd like to add that I'm not really interested in anything older than an 87' TD as a trade. If your TD isn't worth $1200 still talk to me anyway and see if we can't work something out. Maybe if you don't have the cash to make up the rest I'll take parts trades or even other trades not relating to TD's. Just try me!

Garrett booster

Congrats on getting married!
    I knew you would be back!

BTW that is a nice looking eagle.

Hybrid booster

I wish you weren't 12hrs from here!!!!!!! Yours makes my wagon look like a pile.....

LOL, thanks for the compliment....sorta

Hybrid booster

Sorry...I didn't exactly complete my thought!
    I'd gladly replace my 85 with your 87. She looks REALLY nice! Eagles make good tow vehicles in a pinch too!

turbo addict

I watched my buddy pull rubber on all 4 tires in a parking garage in one of those things. They're sweet!

No takers yet.