Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: TU working with Ken@5 Digits to offer Calibrations, but, is there demand?

Garrett booster

Re: TU working with Ken@5 Digits to offer Calibrations, but, is there demand?

Quote Originally Posted by 1989esturbo View Post
    I’d be interested in a SBEC2 TIII cal
    This!

Mitsu booster

Chris, I'm assuming you never found out anything further about the potential upgrades to the old ECU coding and hardware before Ken passed.

I would like to know why the others weren't invited to chime in on these concepts. I don't know how many of them are gone, but we need their thoughts saved for posterity before they are. By others I mean people like Stu Davis, Dennis Soltis, Kerry Franks, Kim Lyons. Some of you guys have to know them.

If they are gone, I'll add them to the list of names that will be on a bronze plaque on the side of my building. Eventually they'll all be engraved into my GLHS as well.

-Mark

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor mopar-tech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by INSATANSSEAT View Post
    Chris, I'm assuming you never found out anything further about the potential upgrades to the old ECU coding and hardware before Ken passed.

I would like to know why the others weren't invited to chime in on these concepts. I don't know how many of them are gone, but we need their thoughts saved for posterity before they are. By others I mean people like Stu Davis, Dennis Soltis, Kerry Franks, Kim Lyons. Some of you guys have to know them.
    I was pretty good friends with Kim, he pointed me in a few directions but was pretty tight lipped about anything Chrysler proprietary.

Gary Donovan

Working on clearing the decks.

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

Ken would share ideas on making the code more efficient but would want whoever he talked with to dive into the code and figure it out like he did apparently.

things that I know....

reduce the amount of times that the error code subroutines run over 4000 rpms (frees up cpu power)

create subroutines that run on first power up (like code 12 "ecu was reset" type stuff) that adjusts the overall fueling by letting it idle for a while to compensate automatically for larger injectors. (calcubrator stuff that he spoke about)

using the cruise control buttons to control boost levels.

retard the mechanical timing (distributor) and then add it back in with the tune to time the injector timing better for more power.

retard timing at idle in combination with a slightly richer air:fuel ratio at idle (different target) to help larger injectors idle better....

all of these things require folks to comb through the assembly code (which is become a dying art....when was the last time 68hc11 was taught?I had a little bit in college in 2000ish... and really, those that are sometimes the best coders, just did it for fun.... ) and figure out ways to make the stock code more efficient... these are things im naturally not good at lol.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor mopar-tech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post

all of these things require folks to comb through the assembly code (which is become a dying art....when was the last time 68hc11 was taught?I had a little bit in college in 2000ish... and really, those that are sometimes the best coders, just did it for fun.... )

Brian
    You might be surprised; in one of my other hobbies, pinball machines the 6800 family of processors run the vast majority of early solid state machines. There is guys who know the architecture crazy good and write their own code.

Working on clearing the decks.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

I know he used two different pumping efficiency tables. One for part, and one for WOT. I know there are some of his cal still out there on chips.

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Having a coy of one of those unicorn chips Ken did could possibly help someone.
    But certainly is an uphill battle no matter what.

I always hoped Stu Davis would get interested in doing something with this stuff again.

Sent from my KB2005 using Tapatalk
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Quote Originally Posted by wheming View Post
    Having a coy of one of those unicorn chips Ken did could possibly help someone.
    But certainly is an uphill battle no matter what.

I always hoped Stu Davis would get interested in doing something with this stuff again.

Sent from my KB2005 using Tapatalk
    I’m with you on both fronts. I saw a chip burned with the Chrysler software, and it looked like a very different process than what I was used to. I don’t think it was just the interface either.

If Stu was even willing to do a sit down interview, I would love to do that with him. I think it would be great. Actually, if anyone would like to do so, I’m up for it. I think having a series for my channel with interviews would give guys who were there the opportunity to have their say, and help to keep these cars from fading into a footnote of automotive history

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mopar-tech View Post
    You might be surprised; in one of my other hobbies, pinball machines the 6800 family of processors run the vast majority of early solid state machines. There is guys who know the architecture crazy good and write their own code.
    yes they are out there. but their passion is pinball machines so they have a motivation to paw through that tedious stuff.

Now if there is a pinball guy that is good at the code, and loves cars, then we have a shot. send them over here.

I think having that carrot of potential optimized factory code out there actually hurt us in the long run.

im going to try some other ecu options just for fun. i have a speeduino sitting there. one with a arduino mega 2560 and another with an adapter board running a 120mhz teensy 3.5 processor.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

turbo addict

something I've wanted to ask about
    in some of Ken's last posts he mentioned working with TU on an intake manifold ..two piece 5 rib style

I've been hoping something might still come of that

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Johny Dodge View Post
    something I've wanted to ask about
    in some of Ken's last posts he mentioned working with TU on an intake manifold ..two piece 5 rib style

I've been hoping something might still come of that
    It would be something if castings could be made, but with the amount of work which went into that, and the fact that one would have to pull the upper piece for sure any time something needed to be done to the injectors, rail, etc. I’m not sure that it would happen. It is one of the nicer pieces I’ve seen though.

turbo addict

there may not be much point in having two castings other than that "o-e"look but, even if we only got the bottom halves.. Ken had said it was to be much improved over the stock piece .. and if the flange is different hey ,it gives Adam a whole new market to fill

although,they did sell .. I haven't seen any of the "BMF" intakes posted up as running so "there's that"

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Johny Dodge View Post
    I haven't seen any of the "BMF" intakes posted up as running so "there's that"
    My BMF been in my car since 2015. Not sure why others are taking so long.
    Last edited by tryingbe; 01-25-2022 at 05:04 PM.

Mitsu booster

Thank you all so much for your responses! Brought me to tears to be honest. Sorry about my lack of posts. I wasn't able to register at some point. For several years there was some issue with the forum so I gave up trying. I have a couple thousand posts over on TD.

I have started learning how the 6800 code works to start from the beginning just as they did. I told JT that it might drive me insane, and all of this may be pointless, but I'm still going to try.

Brian, thank you for the suggestions! I will add them to the rest of the clues Ken has left us.

Gary! You took the thought right out of my head! I was thinking about asking around on Pinside for any resident code fanatics. I have two Zaccarias but they run a Signetics 2650A processor. We've chatted on youtube before.

Hi Wayne! I also had been pestering JT to email Stu after I found an obituary online for a Stuart Davis and went into a panic. I have been wanting to talk to him about his fuel sensor patents and the FFV program for a couple years. My post about it got cancelled due to the sensitive nature of people's passings, and this post may get cancelled too. That doesn't mean I will stop trying to get us more interviews from engineers or executives, leaning on every source of leverage available. I know a gentleman that was at the STL South Assembly plant for 40 years and ended up being fairly high up. He has been in the drag racing community for just as long and knows a lot of people. Same situation though. He's older and there's no telling how long he'll be with us. I have been working on him for two years to digitize the Hi-8 footage of the last '91 G and J body going ALL THE WAY through the assembly plant. Like walking on eggshells though. Being into racing V8s his whole life, his last concern is the FWD cars. Hence me not dropping his name.

Cordes, until now I didn't know if Ken had gotten to the point where he had put out any calibrations for individuals. Where were you when you saw a Chrysler EPROM flash? I love your idea about interviews, and will definitely be onboard to help fund that endeavor. We had a chat about our 2.2 Aeromate camper on facebook a while back. We just got to the point where it was ready for a trip back in November, and I feel bad. We did drive all over Illinois and I didn't think to see if you would be up for a visit. We went up to a friends house in Machesney Park and went to a flooded junkyard to get an S-body harness for a TBI swap into an '86 Caravan. Hope you and Joy are doing well.

Hi Johny! Alternate manifold plenum prototypes are mentioned in Stu's writings here on the forum. God bless him, my brain oozes out a bit when I try to reference something from it. I'll post a quote when I find it again. I may sound complaintive about it, but I am anything but. I swear I gained life force from reading it aloud to my wife for over two hours.

Again, thank you all so much for your kind attention!

-Mark Lucas

Mitsu booster

"Being a "newbie" I guess I can't post pictures yet. But here was the "first" "turbo II" intake manifold Jim Prestel and I designed, and Joe Trybus fabricated it. It actually had 3 tuning peaks as I stuck a Helmholtz resonating chamber in front of the throttle body."

"My only regret on the 2 piece is that I wanted more plenum volume. But you could not get the injectors/ fuel rail out with my preferred design (it gave 8 more HP, just by a better design plenum). It was always compromises...."

-Stu Davis (2017?)

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
    My BMF been in my car since 2015. Not sure why others are taking so long.
    LOL, you're right of course..

though my mental image of your motor includes that nice gold heat wrap..
    - which kinda over rides noting the intake below ..sorry 'bout that .....'is kinda visually dominant

Mitsu booster

I'm sort of guilty of the same thing, but I have this tendency to give my super hot parts to anyone who seems the closest to getting to the track. I had a TU cast iron header, and gave it to the guy who bought my '94 Shadow drag car. They seemed like they were going to get it to the track the very next season. That car has a Walsh ported 655 on it and was running MS3. I suppose the header is sitting on their shelf now. It was a gift. I can't control what anybody does with the cars and parts I give them. I don't give gifts or help people expecting anything in return. I mostly do it to save the cars. Keeping people inspired and ecstatic about the cars is the goal.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by INSATANSSEAT View Post
    I'm sort of guilty of the same thing, but I have this tendency to give my super hot parts to anyone who seems the closest to getting to the track. I had a TU cast iron header, and gave it to the guy who bought my '94 Shadow drag car. They seemed like they were going to get it to the track the very next season. That car has a Walsh ported 655 on it and was running MS3. I suppose the header is sitting on their shelf now. It was a gift. I can't control what anybody does with the cars and parts I give them. I don't give gifts or help people expecting anything in return. I mostly do it to save the cars. Keeping people inspired and ecstatic about the cars is the goal.
    Mark... this is very nice of you.
    Regards,
    Miles

DD '87 Sundance T1, SLH with rear disks
    '87 CSX #432 2.5 CB TII, SLH

Mitsu booster

I was wanting to speak with you a lot more, Miles, about the ECU data logging project and other things. I had thought about staying away from FB for a while. Maybe I'll email you. I already feel like a dickhead hijacking Chris's thread, even though this particular idea probably left us when Ken did. I didn't want to let the fire of inspiration that Ken kindled go out. Of course, as always, when things seem to go on too long, or a conflict has begun, a thread gets locked prematurely, so I couldn't post in the pertinent thread.

Mitsu booster

Gary, how long ago did you talk to Kim? I would definitely understand being apprehensive about divulging info during the reign of the REAL Chrysler Corporation. Now that we're three iterations of subsidiary Chrysler into the future and the last two have made it clear that they have no interest whatsoever in high performance FWD ICE cars, the folks left alive really need to let their guard down.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast