Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: TU working with Ken@5 Digits to offer Calibrations, but, is there demand?

Hybrid booster

Re: TU working with Ken@5 Digits to offer Calibrations, but, is there demand?

Quote Originally Posted by Oggie Fisher View Post
    ..... Also, would cal be sensitive to placement of wideband O2 and thermocouple?
    Yes to both.
    Everytime a WB is beyond an exhaust joint and further from the the engine, error and delay can become an issue.
    EGT can provide good feedback when properly placed at the convergence point at the turbine scroll entrance - not per port... not down stream (passed the turbo).
    As I put it to a recent PM..
    There are two engines here - one gas engine and one turbine engine.
    It's the balance between the two that make an optimal system.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 5DIGITS View Post
    Yes to both.
    Everytime a WB is beyond an exhaust joint and further from the the engine, error and delay can become an issue.
    EGT can provide good feedback when properly placed at the convergence point at the turbine scroll entrance - not per port... not down stream (passed the turbo).
    I understand the placement of the EGT at the convergence, as that's going to be the hottest and likely most reliable source of heat feedback, but I'm curious as to what you've found regarding O2 placement.

My Horiba had recommendations, but that's a bit dated... As for modern Widebands, what do you think would be optimal? Excessive heat has been a concern with locating it in the stock location/swing-valve housing. I always thought it was put there as a way of getting an un-heated O2 to light off quickly... Thoughts?

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

turbo addict

My aem instructions said 18" from the turbo.

Hybrid booster

The discussion regarding placement of wideband O2 is not new. I forget which thread but I distinctly remember Ken sharing a picture of a bung in the swingvalve. Likewise, there are threads around regarding placement of the EGT.
    When I installed my WO2, which had the same instructions, I recall reading the spec sheet for the Bosch sensor and, coupled with Ken’s advice, being comfortable putting it closer. I wound up right after the transition to the downpipe b/c I didn’t feel confident modifying the swingvalve at the time.

turbo addict

I think correct o2 sensor placement probably entirely depends on the instruction sheet you've been given with the accompanying efi system.. where ever / what ever it is

'cause 02 placement is probably only correct for THAT system if put where they had it when they did their own design and program
    - for their own product
    thus if the instructions say two different things for two different systems .. both are probably right

- like using either block vs head temp when writing something like a cold engine start/warm/run
    position may depend on the programing more than anything

stands to reason density and flow would differ greatly when measured at an elbow vs a straight pipe section even if volume or mass are constant

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

ive had my wideband in my swingvalve for 15 years. it works fine. techedge diy meters that i built myself.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post
    ive had my wideband in my swingvalve for 15 years. it works fine.

Brian
    Did you use a heat sink with that, or just straight in?

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by supercrackerbox View Post
    Did you use a heat sink with that, or just straight in?
    Straight in.

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Mitsu booster

What is the time frame for this project?
    Do you have an estimated cost?
    Will you be able to offer cals for logic modules, SMEC, SBEC, etc.?
    Different years?
    Will these cals be able to learn changes such as adding an intercooler to a T1?
    Our newer cars have a +/- 33% fuel trim adjustment, are we capable of anything close to that?

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by teflon View Post
    What is the time frame for this project?
    Do you have an estimated cost?
    Will you be able to offer cals for logic modules, SMEC, SBEC, etc.?
    Different years?
    Will these cals be able to learn changes such as adding an intercooler to a T1?
    Our newer cars have a +/- 33% fuel trim adjustment, are we capable of anything close to that?
    Hi Teflon.
    This is being reviewed as I resurrect numerous years of software/calibration effort.
    An estimated cost has not been established yet as there will potentially be numerous phases to the project.
    I have received numerous PM inquiries and the following are being considered, based on those requests:

1987 - 1993

Each could be available as non and intercooled packages, while considering community interests to justify the effort.
    Various MAP and boost level arrangements may also be available over the course of the program.
    In reference to the fuel trim, most of the applications already provided for a +/- 25% fuel adaptive and if everything is correct, such a large window should not be needed.
    Case in point, the last software/calibration effort required no more than 5% adjustment beyond the initial calibrated levels.
    When large amounts of adaptive adjustment is required it can sometimes be a 'red-flag' indicator, both plus or minus, that something is wrong.

I hope this helps

Hybrid booster

Hello all : )
    As I continue to go through the 'library', is there any interest in cals/software capable of upgrading the DC intercooler system?

turbo addict

a complete kit with front opening scoop was just sold here a few weeks ago so there's at least one who would say yes in the moment , but is not me

the interest would probably "be there " but it might always be an incidental group

for the old timers it would be a really nice cherry on top of that work you've been doing though

might even inspire some to come out of the storage boxes and out from under the workbenches

- after thought
    maybe for the small case of the DC kit this might be a good call if done as a separate thing from what you're doing
    - to say for this one example , maybe it should be an unlocked version - if that's doable without compromising everything else

I mean apart from the rest of what you're offering, as a DC kit specific thing
    it might allow someone some development catch ups with the old system that never got explored with the fixed call in the DC LM

can you fix the decell stumble caused by the long intake tract after the throttle body ?
    Last edited by Dr. Johny Dodge; 05-28-2019 at 11:52 AM.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Johny Dodge View Post

can you fix the decell stumble caused by the long intake tract after the throttle body ?
    Yes - it is already completed.
    There were many things wrong with the package with the calibration only being one of them.
    If those which such kits are willing to send their hardware for upgrading, a ridiculous package is obtainable. : )

Hybrid booster

As a trial and under consideration, discussion with TU is being held to provide the original prototype 5-Rib two-piece intake, as some have seen. This can surpass the aluminum drive tube intakes with inadequate runner taper and runner length for tested improved response, low-end torque without compromising high end flow. As previously discussed, TU and I are collaborating to achieve the importance of having systems that are matched and matched as a kit though software, calibration and hardware system improvements with further phases would could follow incorporating TU related hardware, header, R5 cam, etc.. as it could all be accomplished as an upcoming system. Amazingly enough, the 5-Rib is designed such that it's appearance is cosmetically nearly indistinguishable from a stock two-piece but with benefits up to and possibly exceed 40HP over the standard unit due to not only volume increased manifold but with the lower half modifications which gain additional over-all system balance, depending on the hardware and boost level arrangement, which make it a desirable and successful unit.
    As a market research, what interest would there be in such component, as part of a improvement package?

Thanks for your input

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5_Rib.jpg 
Views:	727 
Size:	353.8 KB 
ID:	64131  
    Last edited by 5DIGITS; 06-02-2019 at 08:48 AM.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor 85lebaront2's Avatar

Possibly, as that is my setup currently, I was given a two piece when I first went about converting my 1985 Lebaron convertible from the DOA 2.6L to a 2.2L turbo. Since the engine is an actual 1988 T2 long block it would benefit from this.

turbo addict

for years I wanted to weld a couple of top sections together to make it larger
    kinda moved past that with the pleniums we can get but I'd be very interested in knowing just what is different in the lower half

planing something different from the "routine" build so not much interest in the top half for me personally
    and that means diverting from the standard Lengal Plenum too

if there's going to be a better bottom half I'd definitely be interested

is there a timeline estimate - IF this were to happen ?

and maybe it would be worth considering leaving some extra beef on the bottom of the runners so those of us who wanna try the 655 heads can , easily

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Johny Dodge View Post
    for years I wanted to weld a couple of top sections together to make it larger
    kinda moved past that with the pleniums we can get but I'd be very interested in knowing just what is different in the lower half
    planing something different from the "routine" build so not much interest in the top half for me personally
    and that means diverting from the standard Lengal Plenum too

if there's going to be a better bottom half I'd definitely be interested
    is there a timeline estimate - IF this were to happen ?
    and maybe it would be worth considering leaving some extra beef on the bottom of the runners so those of us who wanna try the 655 heads can , easily
    Hello,
    There was a thought as welding two plenums spliced together but another path was chosen to provide better internal improvements and the fifth rib was actually added and machined to match, as it looked unproportionate without it. You had also mentioned the lower half ... internal modifications (both upper and lower) are so drastic that the plenum will not mate or function properly with a standard bottom runner unit making it a complete matched system. Finally, the lower half is capable of supporting a 655 head.

Thanks for the post.
    Last edited by 5DIGITS; 06-04-2019 at 02:21 PM.

Hybrid booster

Re: Market Research - Just tell me how much money to send Chris (& when). I would be interested in a matched system - or anything else this collaboration yields.

turbo addict

That 5 rib plenum looks good. Especially the elbow.

Mitsu booster

I’d be interested in a SBEC2 TIII cal

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast