Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: TU working with Ken@5 Digits to offer Calibrations, but, is there demand?

turbo addict

Re: TU working with Ken@5 Digits to offer Calibrations, but, is there demand?

"everything old is new again"

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Johny Dodge View Post
    years ago there was a little dash mounted unit with +/- knobs for fuel and timing - I forget it's name now

that little amount of adjustability might be nice with an otherwise "canned" tune

curious , first, as to what power levels these calibrations would create or be aimed for (??)
    Cindy also had the trimcal. It had a display and you could adjust boost level and timing or something. I forget.

Garrett booster

So if I read the other thread correctly an optimized cal for a stock 91 TIII would be available? If so I'm in for two

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Ken, if the previously mentioned WOT closed loop programming would be a part of this, using a wideband O2 sensor, could it be set to control for lambda AFR?

My limited understanding is a lambda AFR target is the same across all fuel specific gravities? This would help when running blended fuels without the need of an alcohol content meter. Am i correct in that thinking?
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

turbo addict

While interested I went through 3 different "tuners" saying they could give me a calibration that suited my car. In the end I had to convert the car to SMEC, secured a flashable version and tuned it myself in an afternoon. They were either too rich or too lean. My driving style is such that I don't want the car to behave like 75% of the others out there do because they don't know any different or care to.

I think the details are lacking in exactly what is being offered here.

Hybrid booster

The details are as such....
    Closed loop WOT control is possible and has been achieved.
    This is a significant contributor to making this work which now touches on how a single cal can fit many needs.. because its smart enough to do so.
    Two items are critical to the effort - a 'true' wide band O2 and a thermocouple for EGT feedback.
    The software needs to know these parameters to adjust internally and know when the demand has exceeded the mechanical limit; whether it be boost level, substandard fuel or otherwise.
    As development continues, lets see where this next potential step may take us all... one step at a time.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanman²'s Avatar

Pretty cool, I like the closed loop learning feature at WOT. Depending on price, I'd like one for my TIII van.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Mitsu booster

I would be interested in this as well!

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

I have one 2.5L TIII built and on the stand. I have all the parts to build another. I have a local friend with a '91 Spirit R/T (2.2L) with a 400+ HP setup as well. It's kind of graduating away from +40s to get to the next level though.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Here is a reference to a discussion a few years back on new calibration software
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...=1#post1117253
    Regards,
    Miles

DD '87 Sundance T1, SLH with rear disks
    '87 CSX #432 2.5 CB TII, SLH

Hybrid booster

Appreciating that we are in the early stages but what is meant by “true” wideband O2? Also, would specific thermocouple be required or what would the parameters of the sensors need to be? Interested no matter what and would be willing to change sensors if necessary, but obviously would prefer not to. Also, would cal be sensitive to placement of wideband O2 and thermocouple?

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

This sounds very intriguing, I can imagine that with the limitations of OBD and other maintenance overhead/restrictions, that not only could power/driveability be optimized, but so could mileage!

In a related note, I've always been at a loss as to how an auto could be so much worse than a stick. While I understand that an auto uses power to operate, but I can't believe that's where all the energy goes...

So I'm expect the Wide Band provides the A/F feedback, the thermocouple provides feedback for optimizing timing... I'd love to have a more "modern"/commonly available knock sensor as part of the program/options.

In the end, I'm excited to see what an "unencumbered" program can do.

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor 85lebaront2's Avatar

From my experience, the automatics are 3 gears with a torque converter, manuals are 5 gears with 5th being an overdrive gear. Right away you have the engine turning a lot more rpm at speed. If you have a late enough transmission and controls then you at least have a lock-up converter eliminating the slippage there. If the 41TE could be adapted to the 2.2/2.5L blocks, then you might get closer. Modern automatics have progressed to the point that some of them actually get better mileage than a manual.

turbo addict

A lot of modern automatics can lock the torque converter in any gear aside from first. That helps efficiency a lot.

turbo addict

Although I moved on to Microsquirt, I feel WOT closed loop may not be such a good idea as different wideband system have different latency.

https://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/...tout/index.php

My favorite AEM wideband have a latency of <300ms, some wideband have more latency and some less.
    My Microsquirt log says my turbo can spool up 5.6psi of boost in 300ms.

So, if I have close loop system in place, my ECU will always be adjusting for 300ms in the past. Idle and cursing it would be alright since engine stats is stable, but at WOT with boost building and 300ms latency, wouldn't that be too long for a closed loop?
    Last edited by tryingbe; 04-26-2019 at 12:16 PM.

turbo addict

Modern automatics have progressed to the point that some of them actually get better mileage than a manual.

good luck with those .. in several cases you can't get them repaired even at the dealer because some trans manufactures WILL NOT share the servicing / repairing info as they claim it as "intellectual property"
    so before buying you might want to visit the service department first

this is going to become a huge issue with manufactures moving to have the notion of title and ownership changed into a "subscription"

don't be surprised when john deer stop updating your tractor .. or even replace it with some other new one..while you make payments , FOREVER and never "own" it
    it's coming

My 1990 vintage E4OD can and does engage lockup in 2nd through 4th, unlocks briefly on upshift or downshift. Very interesting when I was pulling a good size load through the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel. Truck downshifted from 4th at roughly 1500 rpm, went to 2700 rpm and when the lockup engaged settled at 2200 rpm.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

My first understanding of this is simply the offering of canned LOCKED stage based tunes.
    The other extra functions also would be assumed to be LOCKED.

I would pay for an interface more so than a canned tune.

That said,
    Basic 3.0 calibrations that just erase or take the rev limiter to 8-10k and ditch speed limiter would allow camshaft upgrades. That could be sold as a package too with valve spring upgrades. People could piggyback modify the rest if the tunes must stay LOCKED. That would sell to all the Facebook G body group owners.

Rob M. has mentioned that 3.0 cal don't have a load based WOT timing table. This causes problems for our attempts at 2 and 3 bar calibrations. If unlocked, this would be a great ability.

Erasing egr routines/codes

Launch control and flat shifting strategies.

Pipe dream a604 unlocked full tuning.

----------------------------
    I do not grasp some of the cool functions mentioned being 100% locked down. Locked Custom calibrations seem to always have been a pain since customer vehicles are often defective and calibrations get blamed or retuned instead of fixed. I have watched people ship ECU back and forth like this. Remote tuning is a 10+ year old practice. No shipping.
    User programmable would be the dream for most who have significant investments. Having no idea what your tune is doing with a big dollar shortblock etc would be uncomfortable.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

Garrett booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Harry,
    That is a good point to consider.
    Regarding that article and widebands in general: I couldn't find any date on the article but the Innovate model mentioned has been discontinued and I didn't see any mention of the current Bosch LSU 4.9 sensor. So I'm thinking the article may be a bit old. But as far as the comparison- I would think the tested latency differences were more a function of the different manufacturer's controllers. It would be interesting to see what specs Bosch has for the current sensors themselves. I haven't been able to find this info.
    I have a Megasquirt question but need to find where that discussion thread is.
    I found this article interesting regarding widebands:

http://www.nzefi.com/bosch-lsu-wide-...-applications/

Quote Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
    Although I moved on to Microsquirt, I feel WOT closed loop may not be such a good idea as different wideband system have different latency.

https://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/...tout/index.php

My favorite AEM wideband have a latency of <300ms, some wideband have more latency and some less.
    My Microsquirt log says my turbo can spool up 5.6psi of boost in 300ms.

So, if I have close loop system in place, my ECU will always be adjusting for 300ms in the past. Idle and cursing it would be alright since engine stats is stable, but at WOT with boost building and 300ms latency, wouldn't that be too long for a closed loop?

Interesting read on the sensor comparison test. I have an Innovate LC-1 system in my truck to monitor the AFR for tuning the EEC-V system. It was recommended by the people I purchased my tuning hardware and software from. I have had one sensor fail, but the system was purchased used. The output from it can be connected to a laptop during datalogging to add to the other parameters being monitored.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast