Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: TU working with Ken@5 Digits to offer Calibrations, but, is there demand?

TU working with Ken@5 Digits to offer Calibrations, but, is there demand?

We are considering joining forces with Ken (aka 5 Digits) and offering Performance calibrations to the community, but, we are unsure if there will be enough demand. We would start off with Staged calibrations at first much like Mopar Performance offered. If there is enough interest we will likely go to Package deals with our other products and Custom cals based on individuals needs.

Let us know if this is something anyone would be interested in.

Thanks!

Chris-TU
    Chris Wright www.TurbosUnleashed.com Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com 602-76-BOOST Tech/Sales#: Monday-Saturday 9AM-7PM MST Proudly Serving the Turbo-Mopar Community since 1997 TU is a performance, not marketing company. We provide accurate performance data on all our performance products. Fabricating data to make us appear better is just not our style. Do the research before you buy. ROCK BOTTOM PRICES WITHOUT THE HIDDEN HANDLING FEES.... -----HOME OF THE 9 SECOND FWD T-M CLUTCH-----

turbo addict

Re: TU working with Ken@5 Digits to offer Calibrations, but, is there demand?

Are you offering what Ken was talking about in this thread? http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...hlight=5digits

Hybrid booster

Holy crap yes!

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

I would love the opportunity to have Ken's help getting my MeanMini calibration safely optimized! We all have suffered long enough...
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Hybrid booster

I'm in. 😎 Calibrations are out of my realm of expertise.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

I've had better luck with the Boost Button Stage II cals than with the Mopar Performance Stage II computers. No two Mopar Performance computers seem to run the same, even NOS units are inconsistent. The BB stage cals are smoother at idle and through the RPM range.
    Just my two cents.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor 85lebaront2's Avatar

I would love to find out what is wrong with the chip I bought from Boost Button a number of years ago, whether a questionable SBEC corrupted it or something else happened. It is one of the items holding back my Lebaron convertible project. I really would like to be able to have a flashable SBEC so I can update it like I do my Ford EEC-V system in my truck.

Hybrid booster

To all....
    There has been much discussion throughout the years of doing this which came with concerns of them being copied
    Although, lets recall that these may be offered and may not align with anything used currently or in the past so it may be difficult to edit or alter them.
    This isn't intentional - it's the result of being able to compile and format them as they were 30 years ago - not by hex editors, not by alternate subroutines but by means originally used.
    Fuel, spark and other tables will not reside as they once did - they'll reside as they need to be in 2019.

Where knock lights and such were claimed as new tech, they existed in 1985.
    Although, what didn't and doesn't exist is today's tech for the following:
    - Alternate P/T and WOT fuel curves and tables to allow adaptives to do their job without disturbing performance gains
    - Knock detection that inhibits detonation with minimal boost reduction, if any
    - User programmable launch controls defined by the driver not by the calibrator
    - Infinite boost control via driver input rather than a 14/18 psi switch

What is not being considered is:
    - Deviating from a calibrated package.... E.g. If a different head, turbo, or otherwise is used - substandard operation could be realized
    - As designed, no custom tuning will be available unless previously agreed upon while considering cold and hot, low and high altitude chamber testing is today's industry standard and costly to secure and accomplish.

With all this said, discussions are in their infancy but the hope is it will finally come to fruition.
    Last edited by 5DIGITS; 04-21-2019 at 11:31 PM.

turbo addict

That sounds good although not being modifiable might be a concern for some people. I'm exited to see the result though.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

I would be in for a TIII cal.
    Last edited by karlak; 04-22-2019 at 09:36 AM.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor shmedley's Avatar

Glad to "see" you Ken
    I would be interested in a cal
    Thanks Brad S. SDAC National Proud Member SDAC Chicago Proud Member 14 Ram 1500 86 Shelby Charger "Chicago Stock"

Garrett booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

I'm definitely interested (have been) to see where this goes. I think keeping to a calibrated package must have its challenges like variances in porting of heads/manifolds and any assembly differences.
    Would this possibly come with the integration of newer designed knock sensors or other sensors?

turbo addict

I might be interested, depending on where it all goes. My "race car" won't be running stock electronics at all, but my other vehicles would be nice.

Ken, is there possibility of adding functionality to the 3.0 (not talking about the A604...that's a whole different ball game) so they can run boost more easily?

Hybrid booster

Absolutely interested.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Sounds a bit daunting, so many potential combos for a "canned" tune (variations in intakes, cams, head porting, etc).

Would the adaptives be capable of adjusting to those variations? Seems doable by todays standards, but we're talking about "yesteryear's" hardware...

What would be a realistic expectation for one of these cals to "figure out" the optimum tuning for a given combo?

This all said, I'd be in for at least one (most of mine are close to stock).

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

turbo addict

years ago there was a little dash mounted unit with +/- knobs for fuel and timing - I forget it's name now

that little amount of adjustability might be nice with an otherwise "canned" tune

curious , first, as to what power levels these calibrations would create or be aimed for (??)

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

I would absolutely love to have a 2.5L TIII '91 SBEC cal.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Johny Dodge View Post
    years ago there was a little dash mounted unit with +/- knobs for fuel and timing - I forget it's name now

that little amount of adjustability might be nice with an otherwise "canned" tune

curious , first, as to what power levels these calibrations would create or be aimed for (??)
    maxon dual twister? -v-

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1700.jpg 
Views:	1185 
Size:	176.5 KB 
ID:	64001  
    89 Voyager LE, 2.5T2 - rest in peace
    87 Charger Shelby T2 (2.4 conversion in process)

turbo addict

yeah that'd be it

big mental block trying to remember that one .. thanks

Hybrid booster

Hello everyone.
    There are some great thoughts being posted and many of them are capable - if not existing already.
    What's worth mentioning is that most of the tech being discussed existed in the mid 80's but was held secretive, until now.
    Using a battery temp sensor to adjust fuel/spark, knock lights, etc... many of the 'insider' cars had all this plus some, back in 1985.
    If this comes to fruition, there may be many options available as these wouldn't be hex edited cals - they could/would exist as 'production compiled' software to meet the need.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast