Thread: 1984 Chrysler Laser XE Turbo

Mitsu booster

1984 Chrysler Laser XE Turbo

Date: 16th April 2019
    Username: TwistedGray
    Full Name: Thomas Gray
    City, State, Zip: Monterey Bay, California
    Selling or Wanted Price: $7,000 - negotiable

Description: I have listed everything that I know about the car. Should you have any questions please let me know. Pictures at the very bottom.

1984 Chrysler Laser XE
    37,858+ miles
    5 speed manual

Here is the history:

The car was purchased from Pacific Coast Interprises (Santa Cruz, CA) in 1984 by Dwight G. on October 30th, 1984 for $16,547. (I have all of the original documentation, some of which I have posted to the group.) Dwight bought it while living in Felton, CA and eventually took it up to Oregon where he currently resides. From there, it sat in a garage and was rarely driven. He kept the registration current and took it out for cruises every once in a while. It was definitely not a daily driver by any means. (From the second owner) "I'm the second owner, and the original owner, despite barely putting any miles on the car from 1993 until 2015, still kept it registered and smog tested it as required, all recorded in the CarFax report."

The second owner flew up to Oregon in 2015, and they drove the car back. I forget what the mileage was when he bought it; however, I know he didn't drive it much since. It had 37k when he bought it and 37k when I bought it from him (I am almost positive I have put more miles on it in the short time I have had it). He bought it to fix it up and sell it, but it just sat in his garage (?) for three years. He, too, would drive it once in a while to keep everything in working order, and it remained on the road during this time.

I have replaced the windshield wiper wiring, tubing as well as some wiring under the hood. While it was not a mouse house, it did have a few mice related issues (mainly in the washer area because it is a nice dry area under the hood). I have not tracked down the last issue which is a power load issue. There is a likely (I am not a mechanic) short somewhere in the network of ground wires (there are three contact points) which causes the engine to increase RPMs when applying a load to the car (load = electric load ... heater and/or air conditioning). That is one of two issues with the car...the second is complex because I can't quite figure it out.

There is also an issue with the radiator fluid reservoir that I cannot wrap my head around. The second owner claimed the reservoir was cracked and leaking ("I filled it with fluid, drove it around, came home, and it leaked fluid."). I flushed the radiator and removed reservoir, examined it for leaks, and it is fine. With that said, I had the same issue as the previous owner...filled with fluid, drove it around to get to operating temp., and parked it where it then leaked out some fluid. I at a loss, but for now it's holding fluid (you'll know when it's not courtesy of the car yelling at you).

Those are the two main issues that the car has; otherwise, it runs perfect. The interior is in excellent condition (9.5 out of 10) with exception of the headliner (pull and replace). It has no dash cracks nor any leather issues (some rubbing on the driver side exit area - left pad that run along your left side as you are sitting). The buttons are squishy and finicky (I guess this is the norm.), but they all work. Everything electrical works fine, power everything still works. The electronic monitoring system still works fine...the car will happily yell at you for leaving a door open, not fastening your seat belt, leaving the key in the ignition, and other fun sayings.

Note: The car was rear-ended in a parking lot at the Northridge Mall (I will share the pictures of both cars to show the extent of the damage). I have not fixed the car (small dent in the lower right, rear bumper), and I will leave that decision to the new owner. If the new owner wants it repaired, it will be repaired through insurance at no cost. If the new owner does not want to risk the blemish on the otherwise untouched history, I will not discount the car accordingly. In fact, you can probably just heat and pop it out...I won't...you can.

I have the 2-book Chrysler service manual, the Haynes manual, and a bunch of sales-y brochures of the car that will be included as well.

Why am I selling the car?

I am not a car collector, and I was very lucky to have stumbled upon this one. I have got my fun out of it, and while it is an extremely fun car to have, I do not want to kill the value by using it as a daily driver. Someone looking for a clean '84-86 Laser will not be disappointed!

Pictures:

I am struggling to post pictures, so for now I included the Craigslist photos. I know that they will expire in 30 days, so I'll have some time to figure this out. Meanwhile, I have also included a picture with my user name and the date with the dash inside the car (https://imgur.com/SJVLjoS)

Picture from a weekend cruise down Highway 25/198 - No, it is not that shiny/glossy. The cell phone photos, below, do better justice as far as the paint condition is concerned.

Mitsu booster

Re: 1984 Chrysler Laser XE Turbo

Update: I talked to the second owner yesterday afternoon, "The car had about 32K when I bought it. I put about 5000 miles on the car over 3 years, with most of that during the first year I had it."

engine bay pics needed

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by martin kolner View Post
    engine bay pics needed
    As requested

Mitsu booster

First offer near $5,500 drives it home.

Toying with the idea of tossing it up on BAT just to see what it gets, but I don't want to be heartbroken.

Mitsu booster

For those interested and/or following along, I took a deposit on the car a few days ago.

Mitsu booster

It is still for sale.

Do you think it is worth posting on Bring a Trailer? Anyone want to guess what it would fetch...

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedGray View Post
    It is still for sale.

Do you think it is worth posting on Bring a Trailer? Anyone want to guess what it would fetch...
    My honest opinion is that it would fetch 2K on the very high side and 800-1K on the low side. There isn't much about an 84 that's desirable, and with the condition the car appear to be in, it's not much of a show car. Heck, I would probably shoot you a low ball offer and be willing to fly out and drive it home, but there's so much to the 84s that is oddball that I couldn't bring myself to do it.

turbo addict

your problem here is you listed it and expect it to sell

reality is .. it will .. eventually

problem with these cars is that's going to take some time - you may have to relist it several times
    in several places
    my advice is don't burn yourself trying with listings
    if the car does not need to go immediately then get used to the idea of "keeping it around" in the listings

there was a beautiful 90's daytona listed on turbo dodge and the local pages here
    took 2-3 years to sell

another thing this hobby is full of guys with limited funds
    they may see your car but have to wait hoping it comes back along

I was doing that with the car I mentioned above
    someone posted he's going to pick it up.. oh well

my charger <<< pic IS from the seller's listing (LOL)
    I found the add for it , locally, on some ontario mustang/shelby owner's site
    ad languished for 3 years I know of before I even asked about the car

hell I even bought a brand new transmission for the same money .. knowing the car was going nowhere but the trans wouldn't come along again

my best advice .. if you don't need it gone , don't sweat it to much.. it's entered the .."it's ALWAYS for sale stage" .. now

anytime it goes out make sure someone who walks up to it can find a for sale sign with your info

leave it on the seat or hatch floor to avoid park with F/S sign tickets (not taped in window)

Mitsu booster

Thank you for all the comments, and yeah I think you are certainly correct. I talked to the seller who I bought it from for months until I eventually bought it, too, so yah...there's that. I think it might do well on BAT, and I would rather toss it up there than continuously adding miles and struggling to find a place to park it. Four cars and a motorcycle...something has to go

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Johny Dodge View Post
    your problem here is you listed it and expect it to sell

reality is .. it will .. eventually

problem with these cars is that's going to take some time - you may have to relist it several times
    in several places
    my advice is don't burn yourself trying with listings
    if the car does not need to go immediately then get used to the idea of "keeping it around" in the listings

there was a beautiful 90's daytona listed on turbo dodge and the local pages here
    took 2-3 years to sell

another thing this hobby is full of guys with limited funds
    they may see your car but have to wait hoping it comes back along

I was doing that with the car I mentioned above
    someone posted he's going to pick it up.. oh well

my charger <<< pic IS from the seller's listing (LOL)
    I found the add for it , locally, on some ontario mustang/shelby owner's site
    ad languished for 3 years I know of before I even asked about the car

hell I even bought a brand new transmission for the same money .. knowing the car was going nowhere but the trans wouldn't come along again

my best advice .. if you don't need it gone , don't sweat it to much.. it's entered the .."it's ALWAYS for sale stage" .. now

anytime it goes out make sure someone who walks up to it can find a for sale sign with your info

leave it on the seat or hatch floor to avoid park with F/S sign tickets (not taped in window)

Mitsu booster

Let the bidding begin - https://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-Chrysl...E/372670154225

ps: Bring A Trailer denied the listing. " Unfortunately, we do not feel that your 1984 Chrysler Laser is a good fit for our site and audience."

Wow. They're awfully uppity to deny your listing with some of the cars I've seen on there.

I just did some bidding. We'll see where it goes.

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    Wow. They're awfully uppity to deny your listing with some of the cars I've seen on there.

In respond to my appeal, they wrote
    Recently, we’ve been inundated with submissions, especially in the general price range of your Laser of under $10k, which means we’ve had to make tough decisions and turn down a lot of cars including yours.

- - - Updated - - -

Good luck ... better than the $100's that it was at yesterday afternoon, lol.

Mitsu booster

I posted it to about a half dozen or so car groups on Facebook, so hopefully that'll give it a boost! It was at like $900-something when I last checked.

Mitsu booster

Less than a day left in the auction, and it's been at the $2800 amount for a few days. Remember...whatever mine sells for is a precedent of what yours is worth. Preserve your value and buy mine! ; )

Less than a day left in the auction, and it's been at the $2800 amount for a few days. Remember...whatever mine sells for is a precedent of what yours is worth. Preserve your value and buy mine! ; )
    The value of my wife's car has skyrocketed if we're basing the market off of this car.

Mitsu booster

The value of my wife's car has skyrocketed if we're basing the market off of this car.
    In that case, I am sure she is thrilled!

In that case, I am sure she is thrilled!
    Indeed she is. These cars get very little respect given how incredible they were in their time.

ETA: Congrats on the sale. That went for great money.

- - - Updated - - -

ETA II: I see the reserve was not met. How does that work? Can you accept the highest bid, or do you have to turn it down?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast