Thread: Highest total advance in mpscan

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor jeff1234's Avatar

Highest total advance in mpscan

When you all are playing back a scan in the graph screen what is the highest timing degrees number you see on your scans. I'm seeing 58.8 degrees at 13 psi. I know my total advance on the 4000E is around 42 degrees.
    I'm mostly interested to see if other LM users see the same type of curve. If that is your experience then it's the way the program records it. If not then I am having some sort of unusual experience with my program.
    Thanx
    Jeff
    The only substitute for cubic inches is cubic dollars, how fast can you afford to go?

Re: Highest total advance in mpscan

There has been many viewers of this question but no answers so I asked a friend who is a GM master mechanic. He said that he would expect more like 60 degrees and stated that some GM products went as high as 80 degrees advance under some situations.
    The only substitute for cubic inches is cubic dollars, how fast can you afford to go?

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Hi Jeff,
    Interesting but this is outside my wheelhouse
    Regards,
    Miles

DD '87 Sundance T1, SLH with rear disks
    '87 CSX #432 2.5 CB TII, SLH

Quote Originally Posted by jeff1234 View Post
    When you all are playing back a scan in the graph screen what is the highest timing degrees number you see on your scans. I'm seeing 58.8 degrees at 13 psi. I know my total advance on the 4000E is around 42 degrees.
    I'm mostly interested to see if other LM users see the same type of curve. If that is your experience then it's the way the program records it. If not then I am having some sort of unusual experience with my program.
    Thanx
    Jeff
    jeff, the best thing would be if someone would be able to put a logic analyzer on the LM while monitoring the OTC and doing the same with mpscan and record the results at different settings. perhaps i could figure out why the difference. i know on the knock sensor that the top bits were being used for a different purpose and the bottom bits were the actual values (on the LM). Miles? seems like someone maybe did this once for me before!!!.???.
    89 Voyager LE, 2.5T2 - rest in peace
    87 Charger Shelby T2 (2.4 conversion in process)

Quote Originally Posted by wowzer View Post
    jeff, the best thing would be if someone would be able to put a logic analyzer on the LM while monitoring the OTC and doing the same with mpscan and record the results at different settings. perhaps i could figure out why the difference. i know on the knock sensor that the top bits were being used for a different purpose and the bottom bits were the actual values (on the LM). Miles? seems like someone maybe did this once for me before!!!.???.
    Wowzer, That suggestion sounds like specialized equipment such as a "O" scope or other piece that I don't have and the knowledge to understand and interpret the data. What I was hoping from the post was that I might see others experience that would prove or disprove the timing readings, this didn't happen so I will just accept the readings I am getting.
    Thanks for all responses
    jeff1234

Quote Originally Posted by wowzer View Post
    I have the equipment such as the oscilloscopes, logic analyzer, OTC4000e, MPScILink and two LM cars, I am swamped on other car tasks (Yes Wowzer our join project is one of these) but hopefully I should be able to help you out in June, if you can wait. Please remind me in June.
    Regards,
    Miles

DD '87 Sundance T1, SLH with rear disks
    '87 CSX #432 2.5 CB TII, SLH

no problem, june will be here before you know it.
    89 Voyager LE, 2.5T2 - rest in peace
    87 Charger Shelby T2 (2.4 conversion in process)

It would be good to know if the high readings are accurate for everyone who uses the LM, if for no other reason than to be able to look at the numbers on an MP scan and be confident that you are seeing an true representation. I wasn't sure you were talking with me or wowzer when you said remind you in June but I can do that.
    Thanks!