Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lost another one

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Re: Lost another one

Cleaned up another water pump housing to have it prepped and built up ready to swap out and sure enough it is probably junk like all the others The hose nipples on this one were actually very clean, the flange for the pump seal was wrecked with one spot completely eaten through from inside to outside. Going to sandblast this one tomorrow and see how bad the rest of it is. Some rtv will most likely make it work fine if there are no cracks and the pitting does not go too deep. But why do these things just crumble and corrode so badly ?? some really low grade pot metal aluminum ? sure the pumps get a little crusty on the outside but they dont get eaten away like the housings do.
    1994 Shadow Sedan. 2.2 N/A, A568 400,000 miles. "the science experiment"
    1987 Shelby CSX #418. Long term rebuild and restore ?

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 135sohc View Post
    Cleaned up another water pump housing to have it prepped and built up ready to swap out and sure enough it is probably junk like all the others The hose nipples on this one were actually very clean, the flange for the pump seal was wrecked with one spot completely eaten through from inside to outside. Going to sandblast this one tomorrow and see how bad the rest of it is. Some rtv will most likely make it work fine if there are no cracks and the pitting does not go too deep. But why do these things just crumble and corrode so badly ?? some really low grade pot metal aluminum ? sure the pumps get a little crusty on the outside but they dont get eaten away like the housings do.
    I've always assumed it to be a problem with the aluminum used combined with the poor service most of these vehicles received throughout their lives.

Put the pump and housing together with the o-ring and a coating of grey rtv to aid in sealing the flange surface. Valves are lapped in and the head surface got one more session with 600 grit. Clean and assemble tomorrow with Monday being the big day. fingers crossed..

Never had a problem using conventional green coolant but for commonality with everything else. This time I will be going to zerex G05 and using a slightly cooler thermostat.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

One problem I have with machine shops is not following instructions. I have heads where I want basically zero removed...and they don't care about thinning out the decks.
    Currently searching for a shop.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

Coming along this afternoon/evening. Got the head pulled and what a mess I found, already wasted the money on another cometic but I will be using an oem 5281064 gasket this time. The block is cross drilled and the replacement head is not.

From day 1 the cometic started seeping oil and never stopped, the deck surface was not that bad 3 years ago and today it was just nasty.. The cometic had evidence of scrubbing especially around the triangular coolant ports Work a half day tomorrow so I can take advantage of the good weather and hopefully get it done, run a flush, heat cycle it, re-torque and call it good. Intake seat on 1# was about 1/4 dropped out. This thing did smoke on cold start ups and the backsides of the intake valve are super crusty.

Sounds like the machine shop did a poor job all the way around with that head. Dropped a seat, and a bad guide or valve stem seal at the least. Do you have pictures of everything?

The stem seals are bright blue, same appearance as the off brand stuff listed on rockauto. I have felpro/oem seals to install. I got pictures to upload later.

I should clarify the cylinder head surface looks fine, the block surface around the edges is what looks bad. For being 'reusable' I sure would not trust the gasket that came off to seal again correctly.

Head is assembled minus the lifters and rockers. I'll do those after it is installed.
    https://i.imgur.com/e3szZUz.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/rvzj5tm.jpg

Could not locate my 10mm 12point 1/4 drive socket and of course no body had one in stock so tomorrow I'll make the tool truck happy and buy one from him.

Wow. That's a great result for at home milling of the head. Why the 12pt. socket?

The arp exhaust studs use 12 point nuts for clearance.

Quote Originally Posted by 135sohc View Post
    The arp exhaust studs use 12 point nuts for clearance.
    Interesting. I've never used their exhaust studs before. I've thought about using SS hardware back there in the past. Do the ARP units resist corrosion better than anything else? I assume they're not SS.

They work very well. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ARP-400-8014

used thread sealer on them going into the head and lead paste anti-seize on the outside. Every single one came right out without a fight.

Wow. They are SS. Pricey, but if they're going to hold up for the long run, they're well worth the cost. Nothing is worse than fighting the old nuts and studs when trying to remove them. Thanks for the info on those.

Picked up a can of copper spray and just for say so one of those felpro head-gaskets of doom. Not at all impressed with it, looked through the stash again and found a 5281065 that I bought years ago as an opened package discount so I'll save the sealed gaskets and run that one.

Pulled piston 1 last night and touched up the cylinder with the ball hone and new rings/rod bearing, its been 95,000 miles since the engine was redone (2011) and 40,000 miles since cylinder 4. so I'll be doing the other three as well just to freshen things up and hopefully even out the power balance indifference if there was any. Borrowed the ultrasonic from work to clean the pistons.

It lives to die another day. Fired off on the first attempt, after how many times of doing these things this time I did not read the book and got it almost perfect. Close enough to start anyways and then fine tuned for 12 degrees.

Going to do a cooling system flush using Evapo-rust cleaner as there was a bit of crud at the base of the cylinders and then address the crack in the firewall asap so its not rotting out the floor.

Ironically enough the cometic HG ordered 3 weeks ago today from TU just showed up today...
    Along with the couple spare 5281064AB gaskets I ordered last week from MoparAmerica. I really hope the next time I go to mess with one of these it will be for the CSX.

Glad to hear it is back on the road. This has been a very informative thread.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

I hate to sound like an ad, but I buy all my ARP through Allen's Fasteners. www.allensfasteners.com

No pretty packaging and you can buy onsie-twosies.

Drained out the flushing mixture and that was some nasty stuff coming out. Back flushed and blew out everything with air. Walmart now stocks Peak Final charge coolant so I bought a couple gallons and filled it up with that. With the cooler T-stat (180 degree) it does run slightly cooler when steady highway driving. Going to watch and see how that affects mileage... What is the actual 'OE' T-stat supposed to be ??? Moto-rad says one temperature, stant says something else and gates is different still

Hybrid booster

What made you decide on a truck coolant?

IIRC, the stock t stat was 195* in the turbo cars at least.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast