Thread: strange O2 sensor problem

boostaholic

strange O2 sensor problem

Well, I go out one night to find my a/f guage is set on dead lean, no matter what RPM. The car used to pop and carry on under decel, but now it flutters all weird. I opened the hood to find the O2 plug caught between the exhaust manifold and PS pump. Half the plug was melted but the contacts and wires look OK.
    I moved the plug to where it's supposed to be and tried to mess with the contacts....Now the gauge reads only in the yellow (Autometer sport-comp) and down. Exhaust still flutters on decel...what gives? Did I kill my O2 sensor??

Garrett booster

Re: strange O2 sensor problem

I had a one wire sensor short out against the exhaust--just repaired the wire and no problem--it just showed no voltage to the computer like a faulty sensor would do--if you have a 3 wire or 4 wire you could have put 12 volts from the heater circuit to the computer O2 read and no telling what happened--bobr19

Garrett booster

I'd replace the O2 sensor and check the harness side of the plug to make sure the ground(s), signal wire, and heater supply (if it's a 4 wire) weren't damaged.

boostaholic

Could have caused damage to the gauge.

boostaholic

I'm wondering is the guage isn't damaged because it's very slowly going back to normal.
    The guage will sweep back and forth like normal, but will avoid the entire green side now. Once in a while though, something will happen and the gauge will indicate a spot on the yellow area and stay there no matter what, and the car will run strange like before.

Tonight, I was able to get it go over into the green while under some decent acceleration, like it's supposed to......I dunno...maybe it's fixing itself?