Thread: 89 CSX Front Brakes

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

89 CSX Front Brakes

The 89 CSX just received the same brakes as the 2.5 TI Shadows, correct? The ones I saw today were solid disks in the rear, so I assume I could purchase any brake parts for an 89 2.5 TI car and be good to go?

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

Re: 89 CSX Front Brakes

Everything is very similar, but the caliper pins on the rear brakes are different between the CSX and the '89-up production cars. The pins had different threads where they screw into the backing plates, so the backing plate is also different. I'm not positive if they calipers were exactly the same or not.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by supercrackerbox View Post
    Everything is very similar, but the caliper pins on the rear brakes are different between the CSX and the '89-up production cars. The pins had different threads where they screw into the backing plates, so the backing plate is also different. I'm not positive if they calipers were exactly the same or not.
    So, the fronts are the same then. I thought just the 87s had the funny rear brakes.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Yeah, '87 disc brakes are weird. There was the factory version ('87 Shelby Z), the "Shelby" version ('87 CSX/Lancer), and then the later (+'89?) factory version based on the earlier Shelby version. Biggest difference is that the "Shelby" and later factory versions had the internal drum parking brake, whereas the early factory version had the wedge screw setup. I think the pins/caliper bolts were different between the two internal parking brake drum versions. IIRC, my SL used special bolts that also doubled as sliders, where the later factory version used simple bolts going through a sleeve to act as the slider.

Regarding the fronts, yeah, I would be very surprised if anything was special about them. Standard issue Shadow ES brakes with the 54mm KH caliper I imagine, but I can't say for total certainty since I've yet to own an '89 CSX.

turbo addict

sorry , little tangent as you guys are rummaging through the mental brake set up files

have any of you tried an 89^ rear disc HUB inside the 85-6 shelby/glh sized drum ?

I know the hubs themselves are really close in size - close enough I could swap hubs doing a disc swap
    but I'm wondering if I can use the disc hub with it's nicely fixed in place studs with a replacement drum with no pre installed hub (??) - THIS one I haven't had reason to try , until now