Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Let's talk pipe size

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: Let's talk pipe size

Big as fits and straight as possible.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

turbo addict

Was a tight fit in an omni. My lancer has a 3" setup. Gonna change it up when I move the battery.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by shadow88 View Post
    Let's say you're using an air filter minder type of device. http://filterminder.com/ If it indicates no restriction, could there be gains to a larger pipe? Obviously cold air and smooth transitions are preferred.

Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but your second paragraph says to me that transitions will reduce efficiency, yet suggest one size larger than throttle body which would require a reducer.
    For the first question: probably not.

For the second question, you are correct. The reason for the 1 larger size is bends...slow the air down for turns.

turbo addict

So we agree the air filter to turbo pipe should be as large as you can fit all while keeping the airflow smooth and cold?

I liked iturbo's Theory that the larger charge pipes pre and post turbo would allow longer time crossing the intercooler core and thus, reducing temperature.

Everyone seems to agree there's no gains to having a larger-than- throttle body pipe leading from intercooler to throttle body?

Hybrid booster

Well theoretically. large pipes between IC and TB could help some .
    possibly part of plenum size when TB is open at FT.. depending on flow restriction from plenum to pipes.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by masterjr33 View Post
    Well theoretically. large pipes between IC and TB could help some .
    possibly part of plenum size when TB is open at FT.. depending on flow restriction from plenum to pipes.
    Wouldn't the plenum volume technically be all the way to the turbo under WOT conditions?

Strictly on pipe size, turbulence and heat (by compressing slightly) would happen if there was a neck down at the throttle body, no?

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shadow88 View Post
    So we agree the air filter to turbo pipe should be as large as you can fit all while keeping the airflow smooth and cold?

I liked iturbo's Theory that the larger charge pipes pre and post turbo would allow longer time crossing the intercooler core and thus, reducing temperature.

Everyone seems to agree there's no gains to having a larger-than- throttle body pipe leading from intercooler to throttle body?
    A lot of really fast guys have posted that they run a cold side pipe to the TB which is larger than the TB itself. I think Stephan ran a 3" pipe?

turbo addict

My plan is to switch to a water to air I/C. The one I was looking at has 3" I/o. I want to run 3 inch pipes and a 70mm throttle body when I do that to go along with a ported +1 swirl and f5 cam.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

Cpl things to keep in mind, and never forget, it's about the entire system working together.

So, going to 3" I/C pipes for eg. What turbo are you running? How much air does it flow at target boost pr? If you go too large on piping and your turbo does not flow a sig amount of CFM the system will suffer. (Drivability and transient response)

On the other hand, and as a few have mentioned, if your turbo is pushing sig more CFM than our little 8V mtrs can swallow, it is most likely stacking in the system, so going to larger volume pipes and relieving some of that, as well as Slowing down the flow for better cooling becomes beneficial.

When I went to 3" I/C pipes on the Charger, Everything got better. There was a time I considered water cooling for consistency. After the change to 3" charge pipes and the AtA I/C in the Charger now, I can hot lap the car and lose nothing at the track. Before the change I would lose 2-3mph on a second "hot lap" pass.

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!

turbo addict

I'm thinking the significantly shorter run of intercooler piping will help to some degree with the water to air. I currently have a to4e 50 trim with .63 housing, stage 2 turbine with your mandrel 3" swingvalve. I'm thinking a gt3076r or similar will be my next turbo.

turbo addict

ok , a little tangent here
    we know we lose something from "flow" when we add a 90* turn but how might that 90* turn be affected if we transition from oval to round or vs versa as we turn that 90* ?

examples (editing in links in process)

www.summitracing.com/int/parts/tfs-315b800/overview/

http://www.amazon.com/d/Automotive-E...bow/B078WK55MV

Hybrid booster

would most likly need to run the design through a air flow computer.
    make sure all the areas are built correctly.

turbo addict

There are engineering "rules of thumb" for efficiency loss percentages for turns, transitions, length, diameter, etc... No need to guess.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

From my experience, I lost no response or spool time going from the non-intercooled 2.5L, to the Isuzu NPR intercooler and 4+ feet of 2.75" pipe connecting it all. Turbochargers are high volume/low pressure pumps. It pressurized just as fast as ever after the intercooler install. It was still "point and shoot" being a 2.5L in a light car.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12