Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which TB to choose ?

turbo addict

Re: Which TB to choose ?

I believe the 58's are easy to spot out
    if I'm remembering correctly , the 58 has only one vacuum fitting on it's top

46 & 52 have two vacuum fittings

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

On the 2.5L TIII I built (still on the stand, ugh...) I used a stock-like Holley 58mm throttle body I got from Adam Lengel that was CNC machined for true 58mm bore throughout. I am using a stock TIII intake manifold, and the transition into the intake is about perfect with just a little opening up to match with a flap sander.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Johny Dodge View Post
    I believe the 58's are easy to spot out
    if I'm remembering correctly , the 58 has only one vacuum fitting on it's top

46 & 52 have two vacuum fittings
    I just had a 52 mm one reworked by mistake, and it only has one vacuum fitting.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
    I'm using a '97 Ford 5.4L throttle body on my 2.4 in my van. I got it out of the junk yard for like $34. The throttle blade is 2.75" but it necks down to 2.6" right before it. Since my intercooler plumbing is 2.5" I'm fine with that. I had to build a bracket for the throttle cables, weld on the part that the throttle cables attach to to move the throttle blade, and plumb in an external AIS attachment. Post 746 starts that conversation: http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...n-build/page38

Or if you want a direct fit piece you can get a throttle body off of a 2006ish (I think) H.O. Dodge Caravan 3.8. I believe the throttle blade on that is like 2.3" or so. I had it on my 2.4 van before upgrading the intake.
    I would prefer a direct fit as I can't do this kind of modifications you have done.
    Are the 2006 T/B compatibles ? I believed it was only the older ones (96-2001)

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by iTurbo View Post
    On the 2.5L TIII I built (still on the stand, ugh...) I used a stock-like Holley 58mm throttle body I got from Adam Lengel that was CNC machined for true 58mm bore throughout. I am using a stock TIII intake manifold, and the transition into the intake is about perfect with just a little opening up to match with a flap sander.
    That is interesting because I wonder if there is flow loss from going to a little diameter (T/B) to a bigger one (plenum) directly or it would be better to make a transition (cone).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
    How much horse power do want...?
    I made a new thread :
    https://www.turbododge.com/forums/f4/f19/1251203-how-define-hp-goal.html#post4504499

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by iTurbo View Post
    On the 2.5L TIII I built (still on the stand, ugh...) .
    Haha, I know that.
    BTW what ECU, distributor do you use ?
    I would like to use the stock 89 electronic but the intake doesn't clear the distributor and furthermore the I-shaft sprocket is too small

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by nvysion View Post
    I would prefer a direct fit as I can't do this kind of modifications you have done.
    I think if you find the correct 58 mm throttle body you will only have to re route a vacuume line.

That is interesting because I wonder if there is flow loss from going to a little diameter (T/B) to a bigger one (plenum) directly or it would be better to make a transition (cone).

- - - Updated - - -

I made a new thread :
    https://www.turbododge.com/forums/f4...ml#post4504499

- - - Updated - - -

Haha, I know that.
    BTW what ECU, distributor do you use ?
    I would like to use the stock 89 electronic but the intake doesn't clear the distributor and furthermore the I-shaft sprocket is too small
    This 2.5L TIII I built will be for my '91 Spirit R/T. I am dead set on using the existing '91 TIII SBEC electronics. When I was building this, I had hoped to get a proper cal from ShelGame. I really don't know what my options are at this point since he is no longer doing that. I admit, I have practically zero knowledge on how to do my own..

I still plan to at least get the new engine running and broken in with the stock '91 TIII SBEC/electronics. I think it will be OK as long as I keep the boost low (10 psi or less, 91 octane or better). The car does have a new full 3" exhaust, ported exhaust manifold, slightly ported intake manifold, modded 58mm TB, and a stock TIII turbo (for now). Also a stock intercooler. My plan was to get it broken in and driving reliably before doing anything else....the head and cams are stock as well, and it is using a slightly thicker Cometic head gasket and ARP head studs.

This 2.5L TIII SBEC is something I will eventually have to throw money at....which I'm totally OK with, but I am dead set on retaining the cam/crank sensors and stock electronics.

turbo addict

I have a Jeep 4.0 60mm throttle body on my car. Had to ghetto rig up a cable bracket and Dremel the 2 holes out to fit. I also ditched the IAC for a manual IAC but you should be able to use the IAC.

Hybrid booster

Thedon809 is this T/B the same :
    www.ebay.com/itm/Bored-Rebuilt-62mm-Jeep-4-0L-Throttle-Body/113664469178?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid =p2060353.m1438.l2649

The holes you are talking about is the two ones used for fixing the T/B to the intake (the Jeep has 4 holes)
    Do you think the sensors are the same ?

- - - Updated - - -

Iturbo, I Don't have the TIII harness nor the TIII flywheel and trans so I only have to use the SMEC or go aftermarket ECU

turbo addict

Yeah, that's the same thing. Yes, if you look closely at my picture, you can see the hole I wallowed out. You can use IAC with it. You'd need the IAC with the larger pintle than our stock throttle bodies.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

I think the one I got was off of around a 2006 Dodge Gr Caravan H.O. 3.8 and is a direct fit unless you have an automatic. There's no place to put the kick down cable.

turbo addict

I think I have a caravan 58 I'm not using...

Hybrid booster

I'd love to see the looks on the faces of those Eurotrashers after you smoke them with a Shadow!

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

I was wrong. I found my old throttle body and put the part number 4861333 into the google webs and it came up as a 1999.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Wastelands Warrior View Post
    I'd love to see the looks on the faces of those Eurotrashers after you smoke them with a Shadow!
    me too
    But I think it will be very difficult to beat these cars with so much torque, power and 8 speeds trans (or even more) …
    Look what the challenger become after they upgraded the trans

- - - Updated - - -

I think the one I got was off of around a 2006 Dodge Gr Caravan H.O. 3.8 and is a direct fit unless you have an automatic. There's no place to put the kick down cable.
    I have not choosen if I will stay with an A413 or swap to a A568.

- - - Updated - - -

I was wrong. I found my old throttle body and put the part number 4861333 into the google webs and it came up as a 1999.
    That's what I read

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by thedon809 View Post
    I think I have a caravan 58 I'm not using...
    It you sell it PM me please

Hybrid booster

me too
    But I think it will be very difficult to beat these cars with so much torque, power and 8 speeds trans (or even more) …
    You will have a king TIII. You will do fine!

Hybrid booster

me too
    You will have a king TIII. You will do fine!

Hybrid booster

I hope, so much years to learn and money spent to get the required parts and it is not finished

Hybrid booster

I'm looking for a 58mm T/B especially ported, so if you don't use it, I can buy
    In the other forum Shadow told me that a 58mm will be fine for my setup

I always wanted to build a 2.5L TIII after hearing that a one-off Dodge Daytona IROC R/T was made with one for Bob Lutz (Chrysler CEO at the time). It was called the "Ultimate Daytona" I believe. I could have sworn there was a blurb about this on allpar.com, but I cannot find it.

Anyway, I was a huge fan of the 2.5L turbo after getting my '89 Dodge Shadow ES long ago, and it always seemed to me that the low end torque (2.5L) along with the high revving capability (TIII DOHC) head was the best of both worlds. Can't wait to find out!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast