Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Head Porting

turbo addict

Re: Head Porting

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    These cross buff things are pretty amazing. I did a few hours worth of work tonight and was able to experiment with another intake runner. I have the roof pretty high, and I stayed much narrower through the port, which I think it by far the way to go. The next step is to make things even from port to port. That will probably be on the next junk head. After that, I'll be ready for the real deal I think.

Does anyone have a tool to knock the valve guides back into the head? I'm assuming someone makes a punch with a slave portion of the right diameter.
    Brian,
    Here you go. Goodson PH-2228a-g is what you want
    https://goodson.com/products/sae-powered-drivers
    Todd

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Thanks Todd.

Alright. I'm on head #2 now. With this one, I'm trying to keep my process the same from port to port. I've deshrouded the valves and clearly need a better way to mark that. I think I need to put a dimple in a valve and use a compass to score the head. The intake runners will be raised very much and opened on the top and sides to the gasket. The exhaust will be opened to the gasket all around, but the short turn will just be blended and not lowered much.

Now for some questions. Where are you guys getting your burrs? I wrecked one today getting caught on a burr and losing control of it. I can't seem to find something which is of known quality for the money. They seem like a crap shoot whether it's going to be a quality US made product, or some Chinese piece of junk being sold at domestic manufacture cost.

How are you guys measuring the ports? I have an internal caliper divider, but the ports seem to just get wider as you get toward the bowl. Even removing as little material as possible inside the port on the sides, it seems impossible to take actual measurements if you have to remove the tool from the port to do so? I'm thinking I must be doing it wrong.

Hybrid booster

google - Inside caliper tool.
    Thats what i have been using. Measuring how deep i have the tool.
    I actually scribbed all of mine with 1/8th inch marks so i can consistantly go to the same depth.

my bits have been hit or miss as well.

This is what I have. I guess I could make lines on it and measure that at the port? I just fear my whole process on this is off.

Hybrid booster

My calipers I use to measure with are pretty sharp. I do a 1/4" curve and lay back the chamber that way

Hybrid booster

mark the calipers you have for depth with a dremel or awl.

make sure they all have the same width at the same depth.

you could also try making molds.
    https://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/...2/MakingMolds/

http://www.diyporting.com/molds.html

Quote Originally Posted by The Pope View Post
    My calipers I use to measure with are pretty sharp. I do a 1/4" curve and lay back the chamber that way
    1/4" from the edge of the stock valve when level to the face of the head, or 1/4" back from the stock curve at the face of the head?

Quote Originally Posted by masterjr33 View Post
    mark the calipers you have for depth with a dremel or awl.

make sure they all have the same width at the same depth.

you could also try making molds.
    https://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/...2/MakingMolds/

http://www.diyporting.com/molds.html
    That's a good idea. I could make a couple of key measurement points and then do that. Thanks for that idea.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Cut templates out of cardboard. One for X axis, second for Y axis. Play with ports and the templates. When you're happy with shapes, recut em out of metal, slit dowels to make handles; now you can go - no go in an instant with one hand and get all four ports nearly identical three dimensionally.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234