Thread: Cam cap studs

Mitsu booster

Cam cap studs

Has anyone ever put studs in for your cam caps? I have a head that has some stripped cam bolt threads. I want to do studs so it is a non issue going forward. Does anyone have any experience putting studs in?

turbo addict

Re: Cam cap studs

Generally, once aluminum threads are repaired properly with an insert the threads are stronger than before. I don't see why you couldn't replace the bolts with studs.
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

turbo addict

The very early 2.2's did have studs not bolts. They used a lower torque setting than the bolts. I've seen 150 & 165 inch lbs. listed in publications. The bolt torque listing I've mostly seen is 215 inch lbs. Various publications state the bolts were a better option because the studs were necked down.
    Yes you could put studs in place of bolts, but someone in the past must have really over torqued them to pull threads out of the aluminum. If you repair them with helicoil, try to find some long reach 8x1.25mm inserts. Those cap cams are drilled (not tapped) at least 1/4" deeper than the bolts they used. You could also tap and use some longer bolts in place if you're really paranoid about this.
    Todd

I've used studs for all my stuff for years. Sourced through McMaster Carr, grade 8, also got the nuts there.
    best 1/8 ET-6.16 sec. best 1/8 speed-119.70 Best 1/4 MPH 145.5, Best 1/4 ET 9.65 sec. 8 valve NO NITROUS!!

Mitsu booster

Thank you. I will get studs and bolts from McMaster

I forgot to say, I torque them to 200 inch lbs.
    best 1/8 ET-6.16 sec. best 1/8 speed-119.70 Best 1/4 MPH 145.5, Best 1/4 ET 9.65 sec. 8 valve NO NITROUS!!