I attempted to read through all of the head porting threads in a search recently, and they were great. That said, I still have some questions which may help others. There has been some time since a lot of the really good threads were written too, so perhaps techniques, parts, etc. have evolved in the interim.

That said, I went to work for a couple of hours on a head today. It's an old junk head which I did some very, very crude porting on years ago. Some of the intake and exhaust ports are still untouched, so I let into those. I'll be attempting to work on the untouched chambers next. I have another head or two which are also junk, so I have plenty of opportunities to get this right.

After working on this head today, here are my main questions.

1. I'm looking for a head which will make 350HP to the wheels relatively efficiently. How much should I really be looking to enlarge the ports? I have gasket matched the sides and top of the intake port in the pics. I did the same with the exhaust port, but put way less time into it.

2. A lot of the pictures I've seen on here make it look like way more was removed from the top of the intake port than just going to the gasket. Are my eyes deceiving me, or are they really that high? If so, do guys just cut out the gasket, or get a custom one?

3. The bowl of the intake port took a long time to get remotely decent looking. All the pictures I looked at seemed to show a round bowl without the stock ramp on the one side. Am I going about this correctly?

4. The bowl area seems pretty large, and in the pics you can see that I have a little bit of a pinch point in the middle of the runner to take out still. Should I be going that wide in the first place?

5. Any tips for deshrouding the valves in the chamber?

Hopefully we can get a good discussion going on this like we did in the two piece porting thread. I learned a ton from that, although I still need to get my top half welded up from going through it. Thank goodness I'm practicing with junk this time...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6053.jpg 
Views:	1196 
Size:	1.64 MB 
ID:	63741Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6054.jpg 
Views:	1221 
Size:	1.82 MB 
ID:	63742Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6055.jpg 
Views:	1332 
Size:	1.57 MB 
ID:	63743Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6057.jpg 
Views:	1174 
Size:	1.56 MB 
ID:	63744Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6059.jpg 
Views:	1165 
ID:	63745Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6060.jpg 
Views:	1176 
ID:	63746Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6061.jpg 
Views:	1087 
Size:	1.66 MB 
ID:	63747Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6062.jpg 
Views:	1126 
Size:	1.82 MB 
ID:	63748Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6058-2.jpg 
Views:	1140 
Size:	1.46 MB 
ID:	63750Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6056-2.jpg 
Views:	1080 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	63749