Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Head Porting

Garrett booster

Re: Head Porting

Quote Originally Posted by 4 l-bodies View Post
    If I may ask, why did you just not use a G-head? My max effort porting results in similar flow bench #'s, at least the way I port them. My conclusions are the swirls intake seem to have a slight edge flow wise (esp. around .400 lift), while the G-heads exhaust consistently is a smidge better than the swirls.
    Todd
    Already had this head. Im not doing the work also im having a local guy port it who has been porting for longer than Ive been around.

I just got my van in July and trying to get the build done before the end of the year yet everything is hard to come by, so instead of spending that time looking for a G head I just pulled the one off the van and took it to him.

Got another shop doing all the valve work as the porter only ports. We went with custom stainless intakes and inconel exhaust. Nail head on intake valve, tulip on exhaust, along with beryllium copper seats for the exhaust side. Since we ordered the valves custom we are going with the LS style groove for the locks and retainers and he is going to spec me out some valve springs based on the custom can I ordered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Loudexploder; 02-14-2022 at 11:33 PM.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Loudexploder View Post
    Already had this head. Im not doing the work also im having a local guy port it who has been porting for longer than Ive been around.

I just got my van in July and trying to get the build done before the end of the year yet everything is hard to come by, so instead of spending that time looking for a G head I just pulled the one off the van and took it to him.

Got another shop doing all the valve work as the porter only ports. We went with custom stainless intakes and inconel exhaust. Nail head on intake valve, tulip on exhaust, along with beryllium copper seats for the exhaust side. Since we ordered the valves custom we are going with the LS style groove for the locks and retainers and he is going to spec me out some valve springs based on the custom can I ordered.

Cam is a 224/230 @.050
    Lift .544/.525
    113+4 lsa

With that lift, your gonna have to make/purchase/modify custom guides as the bottom of the retainer or keepers will most definitely hit the guide, trying to eject the keepers from the retainer. With .500" lift camshafts, it comes extremely close to making contact with the valve seal mounted on top of the guide.
    What is 113+4 mean when referring to the LSA? I don't follow?
    Yeah I have inconel exhaust valves in my masi 16V engine. I've been running LS style bead lock keepers on all my custom made valves for a while now.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by 4 l-bodies View Post
    With that lift, your gonna have to make/purchase/modify custom guides as the bottom of the retainer or keepers will most definitely hit the guide, trying to eject the keepers from the retainer. With .500" lift camshafts, it comes extremely close to making contact with the valve seal mounted on top of the guide.
    What is 113+4 mean when referring to the LSA? I don't follow?
    Yeah I have inconel exhaust valves in my masi 16V engine. I've been running LS style bead lock keepers on all my custom made valves for a while now.
    Yea im not doing the head work so Im sure the shop doing it should know to check all of that. I will mention it to him tho when i take the cam up to him.

On the LSA im talking lobe seperation angle. Its 113 degrees with +4 degrees of advance ground into the cam. So an intake center line of 109 exhaust centerline of 117.

turbo addict

Yea im not doing the head work so Im sure the shop doing it should know to check all of that. I will mention it to him tho when i take the cam up to him.

On the LSA im talking lobe seperation angle. Its 113 degrees with +4 degrees of advance ground into the cam. So an intake center line of 109 exhaust centerline of 117.

Okay, that is what I thought you were saying. Pretty close to what a stock roller cam is then. One solution on the guides would be to make another receiver groove (for the wire lock) higher up on guide so the guide can be lowered further down into the head. You will probably have to trim bottom of guides down some anyway.

Garrett booster

Im not sure what type of guides he is using. He has ordered and sourced all the parts. Ill give him a shout and mention it to him.

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

We run Holley on all of our Turbo LS stuff. I love the 12" dash and it would fit my van dash perfectly.

The fuel tech is maybe 1k more. I think it offers more options than the holley, but I dont like the small screen. Im really leaning towards the fuel tech tho cause of the options and I wanna try out the traction control.

yeah those giant screens are nice. im putting together a speeduino/megasquirt/tunerstudio/raspberry pi 4 dash setup and got one of those 12.3" 1920x720 screens on the way for various vehicle projects.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Garrett booster

Got a little more porting done on the chamber.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

looks interesting
    Regards,
    Miles

DD '87 Sundance T1, SLH with rear disks
    '87 CSX #432 2.5 CB TII, SLH

turbo addict

edit .. thought I was looking at diff thread
    Last edited by Dr. Johny Dodge; 10-01-2021 at 12:16 AM.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Well, here we are all these years later, and I pulled the head back out and put it on the bench in the basement. I think it will go on my blue Omni. With some of the skills I've acquired since the start of this thread, I'm hoping that it goes much better than it would have otherwise. I'll try to post up some pics soon as I continue to make progress.

Cam, valve, retainer, and keeper selection will be something I dig into as I go along. I already have a set of the Comp Cams springs, so it would be nice to put them to use.

turbo addict

I need to figure out what I have but I'm pretty sure I have anti drop guides for both style heads..

I'd be willing to separate the f-b head guides from my stash if someone needs em as they are the only F-B head parts I have left

G head stuff I'd rather keep as a package deal

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    Well, here we are all these years later, and I pulled the head back out and put it on the bench in the basement. I think it will go on my blue Omni. With some of the skills I've acquired since the start of this thread, I'm hoping that it goes much better than it would have otherwise. I'll try to post up some pics soon as I continue to make progress.

Cam, valve, retainer, and keeper selection will be something I dig into as I go along. I already have a set of the Comp Cams springs, so it would be nice to put them to use.
    Please keep us in the "know"
    Regards,
    Miles

OK, here are the results. I know there is definitely room for improvement, but I'm satisfied enough with my first attempt at porting a head. Thanks to all who contributed to the thread. I know that I wouldn't have been able to get this to where it is without you guys.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240104_120028.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	943.7 KB 
ID:	66588   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240104_120044.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	66589   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240104_120126.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	920.7 KB 
ID:	66590   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240104_120210.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	2.00 MB 
ID:	66591  

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

That looks pretty professional Cordes!
    Can't wait to hear of your performance results!

Sent from my KB2005 using Tapatalk
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Thanks. I really wanted to make everything "perfect" as far as smoothing it out and ensuring that everything was as close to the same as possible, but I thought I had better quit while I'm ahead.

Now to populate this with some good vales, etc. etc. I think that will be the hard part.

how many mm did you use for deshroud the valve? How did the the CC volume work out 52 mL or so? Did you raise the roof of the port or mostly a cleanup and smooth?
    Regards,
    Miles

I didn't CC the chambers, though I know I should have. I cut it back .250" on the first one, then made a template, and tried to match them. It passes fairly well by eye and feel in real life.

I raised the roof of the ports a good amount. I also went wider. I scribed the gasket and then went to on the top and sides only. I hopefully made the best transition into the bowl that I could. I really worked the bowls over in an attempt to have a pretty straight shot down onto the valve.

My thinking in not going crazy with the cleanup and making every last bit perfect was that I know I hogged out my practice head a ton when I did so. It looks pretty, especially on the practice head intake runners, but I wonder if that wouldn't be more detrimental to what the car's goals are, which is a good all around performance build.

sounds nice
    Regards,
    Miles

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678