Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Head Porting

turbo addict

Re: Head Porting

Cordes, for longer bits, get a piece of plastic tube or hose to slip over the shank. Now you have a protector on the shank and you can hold/direct the bit to help prevent chatter.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by iTurbo View Post
    Sorry to go off topic, but that would be neat to see some LT5 ZR1 heads. Are they at all like the TIII? Both Lotus designed from about the same era?

As a kid, I drooled over those, but I have never even seen one personally.
    Friends dad had/maybe still has a green ZR1. They used to AutoX it. Got to ride in it to the gas station once. Feels like a 90's chevy product with more power. I'll take my dad's 1970 911 over it any day though

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    Cordes, for longer bits, get a piece of plastic tube or hose to slip over the shank. Now you have a protector on the shank and you can hold/direct the bit to help prevent chatter.
    Thanks for the tip. I'll certainly try that one.

I made some more progress today. I've decided to make this set of runners pretty large. On the intake side they are 1.5" or better where the guide is so far as I can tell. I'm about .04" larger than the gasket width wise on the intake runner. I'm a little disappointed that I am wider than the gasket by that much, but live and learn I guess. I've raised the roof quite a bit, and put some work into the exhaust runner. I laid the short turn back some on the exhaust and lowered the floor at the face of the head there too. I'll probably try to raise the intake port some more, as the top drops down relative to the floor a little too fast as the floor moves toward the bowl. I haven't really touched the floor of the intake port with the exception of smoothing back the short turn radius.

I ordered some cross buff pieces and I will be giving those a shot next. All in all, this has been fun. I'm eager to give this a shot on an actual head and see the results.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6880.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	63800Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6878.jpg 
Views:	273 
Size:	1.69 MB 
ID:	63799Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6876.jpg 
Views:	301 
Size:	1.71 MB 
ID:	63798

Hybrid booster

the chamber work on this one . the relief. looks really good.

Thanks. I'm actually pretty excited to see what it will look like with the ports cleaned up. I was just hogging out a lot of metal today to see what would happen.

turbo addict

I gotta get an actual tool. I port matched my 2 piece lower to my phenolic spacer with a Dremel and that was a nightmare LOL.

- - - Updated - - -

Hybrid booster

are you doing that in the car? on the engine?

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by masterjr33 View Post
    are you doing that in the car? on the engine?
    Sure did. I did it a while ago. Stuffed rags in the ports and sucked out the dust with a shop vac.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thedon809 View Post
    Sure did. I did it a while ago. Stuffed rags in the ports and sucked out the dust with a shop vac.
    I might suggest a couple alignment dowels that pass through the lower piece, spacer, and top piece, so when it's all done you don't have to worry about them shifting as you bolt the top back on.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by supercrackerbox View Post
    I might suggest a couple alignment dowels that pass through the lower piece, spacer, and top piece, so when it's all done you don't have to worry about them shifting as you bolt the top back on.
    I thought about that, but I'm lazy. I just eyeballed it best I could while looking through the TB opening on my lengel. When I pull the head eventually I'll probably do that.

turbo addict

I gotta get an actual tool. I port matched my 2 piece lower to my phenolic spacer with a Dremel and that was a nightmare LOL.
    I agree, life is WAY too short to be porting with a Dremel. Now that you got the top half taken care of as far as heat goes, have you done anything with the bottom half? Mine is pretty well insulated from the exhaust manifold.
    Todd
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7242.JPG 
Views:	162 
Size:	285.9 KB 
ID:	63801   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7243.JPG 
Views:	236 
Size:	242.9 KB 
ID:	63802  

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by 4 l-bodies View Post
    I agree, life is WAY too short to be porting with a Dremel. Now that you got the top half taken care of as far as heat goes, have you done anything with the bottom half? Mine is pretty well insulated from the exhaust manifold.
    Todd
    Nah. Haven't done that yet. I'm going to port a head myself eventually. When that day comes I'll do something similar and also do a turbo blanket. Although I've read the turbo blankets don't last all that long. I have a f5 camshaft waiting to go in also.

turbo addict

Nah. Haven't done that yet. I'm going to port a head myself eventually. When that day comes I'll do something similar and also do a turbo blanket. Although I've read the turbo blankets don't last all that long. I have a f5 camshaft waiting to go in also.
    noting I've read here , or TD, turbo blankets can promote cracking of turbine and center housings ...
    just saying , I have no personal basis for the statement

and I've seen my swing valve casting still glowing BRIGHT cherry red 45-60 seconds after a hard pull up the hill in front of my house

at the crest of the hill it probably would have been invisible from the heat in it

Where is everyone getting their cross buffs? I see prices all over the place for these things.

Hybrid booster

grabbed mine from amazon or ebay. dont remember.
    they door burn down so get a 10 pack or more.
    https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...nkw=cross+buff

FYI.. you can also get some nice bottle hones . in just about any size.

https://www.facebook.com/justin.fode...&theater&ifg=1

Thanks for the links. I'm having better luck on ebay than elsewhere.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Bottle brushes and buffs may mask undulations; files straighten walls.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

These cross buff things are pretty amazing. I did a few hours worth of work tonight and was able to experiment with another intake runner. I have the roof pretty high, and I stayed much narrower through the port, which I think it by far the way to go. The next step is to make things even from port to port. That will probably be on the next junk head. After that, I'll be ready for the real deal I think.

Does anyone have a tool to knock the valve guides back into the head? I'm assuming someone makes a punch with a slave portion of the right diameter.

Hybrid booster

those cross buffs are awesome.

I normally have the shops do my guides. I normally have the locking ones installed. these things do like to drop guides now and then. especially on the exhaust side. at least for me.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast