Thread: Fuel filter modifications?

Hybrid booster

Fuel filter modifications?

All,
    I am looking into a fuel filter to go in place of the factory fuel filter. I will be using 3/8" fuel lines, so I need a matching filter.
    What is everyone using in this scenario?
    I have access to a large inventory to fuel filters, but they are all for diesels. Would it be a bad idea to use a spin on fuel filter and a fuel filter head for a spin on filter? This may be way cheaper than some of the race options.

I am thinking of using a fuel filter head and using a caterpillar high efficiency filter, which is rated for 10 microns. - I am just unsure if anyone has gone this route before, and what the results may be. Worst case scenario, I can order something that I know works. I just think that if my idea would work, it is far more economical.

Thoughts?

turbo addict

Re: Fuel filter modifications?

Why stock location?

Hybrid booster

Why go fancy and complicated. hard to find or fix and replace.
    you can snag just about any OEM style factory EFI fuel filter off the shelf .

A FG1083 should be 3/8ths.. or a FG872 or FG800A
    and supported enough fuel for my 600 RWHP terminator cobra.
    should be plenty of flow for any TD.
    should filter just fine.
    should be available at any parts store any time.
    cheaper than many fancy alternatives.
    OEM quality compared to who knows what from some aftermarket china brand stuff.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

I use a Purolator F33144. They fit a bunch of stock GM applications and the LS guys say they are good for 700+ hp.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Hybrid booster

It's not so much because of a factory location. I am more curious if a diesel filter will work.
    At any given time, I have 30+ 1r0750's in stock. They filter to 2 microns for HEUI injection systems. Fuel filter heads run about $20 - 40, and sometimes even get thrown away.
    My investment in this system would be ~$50, with a filtration rating that's better and no Chinese parts.

If it doesn't, I can use other options that are listed just fine, with a similar cost input to plumb it in. I was actually looking at the FG800A as an alternative filter if it isn't a good idea.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Not a diesel expert, but would a diesel fuel filter handle the pressure? Aren't diesel fuel systems low pressure before they reach the injection pump?
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

boostaholic

I have a Napa Gold FIL 3623 in my car, it fits a bunch of GM LS applications, it is specifically for the GM Flex Fuel Engines, since my car is running on E85, I wanted an OEM filter that I could replace anywhere if it gets clogged. Sized for 3/8 fuel line as well.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    Not a diesel expert, but would a diesel fuel filter handle the pressure? Aren't diesel fuel systems low pressure before they reach the injection pump?
    The filter I'm looking into would be a short version of the 1r0749, which is used as a secondary fuel filter on say a C15 cat. I *think* that pressure readings there are normally 80 - 100psi. This is at least how I'm reading the fuel line routing on the engine. If I am correct, pressure would not be an issue.

The cat branded filters run me ~$15 ea.

I am seeing if anyone has had experience utilizing such a filter in a weird application. I like the idea of having a spin on filter for added convenience, and the I am positive I have the room to install it. In addition the filter is rated for 2 microns! - I was incorrect on 10 microns mentioned before.
    http://dieselfuelfilterkits.com/docs/cat_filters.pdf
    Last edited by krut; 01-22-2019 at 09:50 PM.

turbo addict

Boats have used spin-on fuel filters for decades. Most are low-pressure, but the newer fuel injected engines also have them.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    Boats have used spin-on fuel filters for decades. Most are low-pressure, but the newer fuel injected engines also have them.
    The old standby Fram spin on canister filter HPG1 works. Although mainly seen on low pressure carb'd race cars from the distant past, they hold and filter to 200 PSI. I've mounted them in L-bodies where the external pump would be. Never had a problem using them.

Hybrid booster

I'm going to go forward with this once I get to that point in reassembly. I will first ask a Cat technician to see if there's anything to be concerned with.