Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Billet forward and direct drums

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Re: Billet forward and direct drums

Still interested also, depending on pricing.
    I'm trying to keep 3 transmissions built the same.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Garrett booster

I should hopefully know a price here soon. I'm hoping they are $800 range per drum, both drums have to be used since we are using the 904 friction.

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    I should hopefully know a price here soon. I'm hoping they are $800 range per drum, both drums have to be used since we are using the 904 friction.
    count me in too. any billet ring and pinions laying around.

Are the drums steel, or aluminum? You guys track test them first; If they don't explode I'm in. and so would be many other racers. Not in any way trying to be a smart a$$. I'm just cautious.
    best 1/8 ET-6.16 sec. best 1/8 speed-119.70 Best 1/4 MPH 145.5, Best 1/4 ET 9.65 sec. 8 valve NO NITROUS!!

Garrett booster

Rob- I currently do not have any gears laying around, my ring and pinion cannot be used with stock transfer gears. So you would have get the transfer gears with ring and pinion. Could you possibly get 3 people interested in a set and I can get a quote. I may even get an extra set.

Warren-the plan is aluminum for both drums, my only concern is with the forward drum is the input shaft splines. But the 7075 material is stronger than the shitty oem material. I have 100% confidence that the drums will not explode, I’ve already ran one of Brian’s aluminum drums for high gear and they use the same drums in the 904. But I do plan to test them before going forward with the rest of the drums. Once I get the test pieces, going to fit everything and then run the car and report back.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

7050 Al has the same basic strength as mild steel, which is why it's use in proper AN fittings and as the proper material for AR upper and lower receivers.

It doesn't anodize as nicely (at least not without expensive prep), which is why so many use "aircraft" 6061, which is a bit misleading, it's not a material to be used in a highly stressed area of any aircraft...

All that to say, "good choice of material". It's a good compromise between ultimate strength and cost (better material isn't going to gain much, but the cost sure would!)

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by zin View Post
    7050 Al has the same basic strength as mild steel, which is why it's use in proper AN fittings and as the proper material for AR upper and lower receivers.

It doesn't anodize as nicely (at least not without expensive prep), which is why so many use "aircraft" 6061, which is a bit misleading, it's not a material to be used in a highly stressed area of any aircraft...

All that to say, "good choice of material". It's a good compromise between ultimate strength and cost (better material isn't going to gain much, but the cost sure would!)

Mike
    Thanks for that Mike.
    I'm anxious to see how this turns out.
    Not anxious to have to come up with funds for 3 transmissions worth of parts!

If we miss out on the initial offering of these, how many units would be needed for another batch?
    Already thinking too far ahead, sorry!

Wayne H.

'89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw

turbo addict

The thing you're paying for with true aerospace quality materials is the certifications (the stack of papers) saying that the raw materials and methods used to make the end product are approved to be used on an aircraft. There are *NO* inherent advantages to paying more for "aerospace grade" unless you absolutely *need* it.

I would figure a tougher material with a high surface hardening would be preferred. A 6000 or 7000 series (as has been chosen) with a T6 hardening and maybe a DLC coating on the splines.

Just to be clear, the certifications that trace the manufacturing process (from ore, to the heat the material was made from), don't have a bearing on the actual grade of the material (7075 vs 6061, etc), the chemistry, heat treat, etc. are what determine the grade.

For some industries, aerospace being one, often a requirement will be that the material used be from a US source, which the cert will document, as well as ensure the material actually IS what it is supposed to be.

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

- Edmund Burke

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Already been in for ring/pinion/transfers but been all silence after I was informed the Drums were going forward.

I saw today that DSM guys have a serious planetary problem (slow high torque cars can kill them) but they also run mid 7's inconsistently. They currently have no fix. I find it awesome to get any good parts for our transmissions, or see we might have more potential than another transmission.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

Garrett booster

Zin- yea clearly when comparing 7075 aluminum to a better alloy steel the steel is going to win. But I’m comparing to the oem cast steel drums. Comparing the tensile strength of cast steel to the 7075, the 7075 should hold up just fine. We would save money actually going to say 4041 steel the aluminum is more $$$

Zin- yea clearly when comparing 7075 aluminum to a better alloy steel the steel is going to win. But I’m comparing to the oem cast steel drums. Comparing the tensile strength of cast steel to the 7075, the 7075 should hold up just fine. We would save money actually going to say 4041 steel the aluminum is more $$$
    I agree, 7075 is a good choice, and since the part is restricted in its dimensions so as to fit in the same place, a stronger, yet lighter material is a great choice.

More strength, less rotational mass, a win-win. As for the steel option, sure, it's going to be stronger, but it would also be heavier, and is that added strength even a benefit at this point, other parts will likely prove to be the "weak link in the chain" before this piece.

So, I concur with the choice of materials.

Mike

- Edmund Burke

Garrett booster

After test fitting and testing the drums, I’m going to look into hard coating the pieces. Once these are done, I’m hoping to have the upgraded sprag batch done using 12 rollers instead of 8. Next thing would be straight cut planets.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

After test fitting and testing the drums, I’m going to look into hard coating the pieces. Once these are done, I’m hoping to have the upgraded sprag batch done using 12 rollers instead of 8. Next thing would be straight cut planets.
    DSM world doesn't even have straight cut planets and they kill theirs in 5-6 passes in the fastest cars. Jeff Bush sold his record setting auto AWD car to go RWD.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

Garrett booster

I’ve been half tempted to just swap full dsm drivetrain in. But it’s still going to need developed some.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor rdnoel86's Avatar

I’ve been half tempted to just swap full dsm drivetrain in. But it’s still going to need developed some.
    Thinking seriously about doing that with the Charger.......awd.....

Garrett booster

Well the hosting site I normally use is down. Anyone suggest a site? I have picture of the billet forward drum in my hands finally

Posting for boots:

Wayne H.

turbo addict

That is SEXAH!!!

Are they going to be hard anodized for added durability?...

Mike

- Edmund Burke

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast