Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trans rebuild parts availability

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Trans rebuild parts availability

Upon checking some old threads, I’m wondering if anyone has good part numbers or a place to call for input and diff shims, along with the bearings for a late 523. I would like to rebuild it and do it once for the long haul. I’d like to make a much nicer video than my previous one too. Any help would be appreciated. I want to get this going so I can have my van in top shape for the summer of 6 dollar a gallon premium gas.

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

Re: Trans rebuild parts availability

ratech 1132 for the input shaft shims.

i measured my 523 at around .0035-.004" of endplay in and out. the stock shim was .040 so i stacked a bunch of the ratech shims to make a .046" shim stack which should put it at .002-.0025" preload.

cant remember what i used for the diff shims as i did them a while ago.

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/...ngs_s/8865.htm

pat said he used the shims here for the 5 speed diff shimming.

i thought the diff bearings were timken set 11 but im not sure. I know i have a few sets of them kicking around my garage.

Brian

This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Jackson says to buy shim from McMaster-carr
    I got mine from a local transmission shop who let me dig through a large box of shims for free.
    Nice, later I contacted them to press the bearings on my diff and they wanted $300....WTF.
    Sorry
    Regards,
    Miles

DD '87 Sundance T1, SLH with rear disks
    '87 CSX #432 2.5 CB TII, SLH

sheesh, the trans tools and a harbor freight press is less than that lol.

Brian

Thanks guys. I think I have everything for the input shaft. Is there anything left out there for the intermediate shaft, bearing wise? I’m sure I have some good bearings kicking around, but it would be nice to use a new unit.

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    Thanks guys. I think I have everything for the input shaft. Is there anything left out there for the intermediate shaft, bearing wise? I’m sure I have some good bearings kicking around, but it would be nice to use a new unit.
    moparpartsgiant has the rear bearing... the one with the seal and the snap ring. nothing that I can find for the bearing by the ring gear.... though some have speculated about using other bearings there from other gearboxes... honda was something i vaguely remember.

brian

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

following... a year or so ago Wallace said he was able to find a couple i-shaft front bearings on amazon but thats probably hit/miss

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Thanks guys. I’ll do some digging. I’m excited about the possibility of nos rear and or from main shaft bearings.

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    following... a year or so ago Wallace said he was able to find a couple i-shaft front bearings on amazon but thats probably hit/miss
    I can’t seem to find them on Amazon or eBay. Mopar parts giant doesn’t have them. I think I found a place which has them, but they are over 100 bucks each plus shipping, tax, and fees I’m sure. Does anyone know what the goingrater was on them? If that’s what they go for, then fine, but otherwise…

- - - Updated - - -

Eta I picked up several of the rear “blue” sealed bearings, and a ton of shims. It seems like the only difficult thing to really track down is the front bearing and race.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

That front bearing is gonna be $$$ if you can find one. Though if you cannot get new matching race to go along with it I would not waste a new bearing by running it on a used shaft.

Did you actually find the koyo 'blue seal' ball bearing or the 'black seal' NSK one ? Never seen the koyo one NOS, seen tons of the NSK version in years past.

Personally unless they feel rough I would have no problem taking the seals off the ball bearing and taking the rollers out of the front bearing and flush them out with brake cleaner, repack the ball unit with mobilith SHC 100 . Unless the transmission ate itself up at some point they just dont seem to go bad.
    1994 Shadow Sedan. 2.2 N/A, A568 400,000 miles. "the science experiment"
    1987 Shelby CSX #418. Long term rebuild and restore ?

The front i-shaft bearings were sometimes near $100 last time I got one years ago. Unless the rollers are chewed up or loose, I've been re-using them

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!

Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    The front i-shaft bearings were sometimes near $100 last time I got one years ago. Unless the rollers are chewed up or loose, I've been re-using them
    That’s about what they are on the rather questionable site I found. I’ll see what the one in this trans looks like.

I thought I should have enough shims to do this trans, but I need to order up some input shaft shim matrial. I had the order from the link Bucar posted cancelled. I’m guessing they no longer carry them.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Ratech cancelled my order in late 2020, I thought is was because I am a hoser...
    Regards,
    Miles

DD '87 Sundance T1, SLH with rear disks
    '87 CSX #432 2.5 CB TII, SLH

It seems odd to me that they aren’t more readily available. According to one post when I did a search, they are used in Dana 80 diffs as axle shims. I was under think that to be something rather popular by comparison.

I think I accidentally bought some of the diff shims which are the later, larger dia, but we will see.

summit lists the ratech shims as drop shipping in May.

as for the diff shims, these may work https://www.mcmaster.com/precision-shims/od~62mm/

the bearing is a 63mm od bearing according to the timken set 11 cad. 62 should be close enough.

not sure if they would need to be trimmed for the ID. it looks like it will be close but clear the inner cone of the bearing.

Brian

Thanks for the suggestions. After reading some posts from Cliff regarding input shaft preload, I as able to use the shims I had on hand for a .004 preload. It turned at just under the spec for turning torque, so I’m guessing I hit it in the sweet spot.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, guess who got all the way to installing 5th gear before they realized they didn’t put the main shaft bearing retainer strap in? Yeah, sometimes filming for videos and setting up shots/working around the camera does more than just take extra time… oh well, I’m now much faster at ding this job than I was previously.

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. After reading some posts from Cliff regarding input shaft preload, I as able to use the shims I had on hand for a .004 preload. It turned at just under the spec for turning torque, so I’m guessing I hit it in the sweet spot.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, guess who got all the way to installing 5th gear before they realized they didn’t put the main shaft bearing retainer strap in? Yeah, sometimes filming for videos and setting up shots/working around the camera does more than just take extra time… oh well, I’m now much faster at ding this job than I was previously.
    yeah i've missed parts late night in the garage and had to tear it back apart... positive looking at it that repetition makes you quicker for sure.

Cool you're making a video? bonus points for SDAC and Turbo Mopar.com mentions

The I-shaft spec is 'loose'. The method/trick I use is to make sure the rear I-shaft bearing race is fully seated in the aluminum bearing retainer by pushing it in with the steel support plate bolted to it, then go ~0.002" deep minimum on preload. I think the spec is 0 to 0.002" play. With this method and wear I have yet to take one apart with play. Although some are only together for a few 1/4 miles LoL oie... either way this is the BadassPerformance standard way LoL

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast