Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Billet forward and direct drums

Garrett booster

Billet forward and direct drums

I've talked about doing billet drums for some time now and as always I end up making other parts and I push the project back. Also its a very big under taking with the amount of time/work/money involved. I've spent a lot of time racing and testing our transmissions in the red sled, moorespeed's 1st gen, and my 1st gen neon's. All low 9's and high 8 second passes, and everyone of them I always see wear on the frictions. I've tried 7 alto red's into my modified drum with larger piston and still see unwanted wear.
    The ultimate combination would be to machine a new forward drum that has splines for 904 frictions in high gear. Also we would have to machine a high gear drum to accept 904 steels. The drum would use the multi-spring pack for he return spring and a oversized piston for more clamping force on the frictions. The 904 frictions can be found everywhere and have a lot more surface area over the fwd frictions. Also another possibility is a wider 2nd gear band option for the billet drum. I would like to see peoples interest and would love to make it happen.

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Re: Billet forward and direct drums

I'm nowhere near 8's or 9's, but i am in a big fat van. So I'm interested in seeing where this goes.
    As a heads up, I had already contacted John Donato to see if he is interested in helping us out when it was first brought up.
    However it happens, I'm still interested if it is practical.
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Garrett booster

Weight plays huge role in survivability. I’m 2400 myself. I need 5-6 people and figure 800-1000 per drum. If we can get it cheaper great.

Any "streetability" issues with this kind of setup?

Garrett booster

Everything I make is considered race parts.I dont see why they wouldnt be able to be used on the street especially if we make them out of steel.

turbo addict

I am interested. Have you had drum failures or is this simply for the added clamping force and friction/clutch availability? And to be clear for 2,000 that just bare drums? not loaded or with bands correct?

Garrett booster

I have had the high gear drum fly apart into pieces and have ripped the alpines out of the forward drum where the input shaft goes. My main goal is to have 3rd gear hold the power and reduce rebuilds. $2000 should include both drums, oversized high gear piston, multi-spring pack. Will not include frictions, steels, or pressure plates.
    The wide band option will be additional and no eta on it at this time.
    I’m currently making new planet that will make first and second longer 2.45/1.45 ratio. I’ll post pics when it’s complete

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Already in. Always interested in everything else too!
    These are mods that held back the DSM community in their auto development.
    Classes have weight requirements, and that added weight is not our friend.

Get them while the possibility is there.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

Garrett booster

Its will solve a lot of issues, from using readily available consumables, to be able to hold full power in 3rd.

Not sure where the money will come from, but I want these....

Hybrid booster

i'd be in too

Garrett booster

Count me in.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Hybrid booster

what to do about seals and retaining snap rings for a custom drum setup though, also do you have any hardened non lock up input shafts you could let go of?

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by onerippinturbo2 View Post
    what to do about seals and retaining snap rings for a custom drum setup though, also do you have any hardened non lock up input shafts you could let go of?
    I know all of the recently commissioned billet input shafts were sold. That included the spare units that Donato made to have a few extra.
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Garrett booster

The seals, snap rings, and pistons for high gear will all use 904. The forward drum will use the regular pieces.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Of all the custom Auto parts being made, I think this one makes the most sense for the most people, it allows a serious upgrade and serviceability for some time to come, as well as options on the consumables.

I have a few machine shops that I've done business with making parts for nitrous kits, so if there's a print that could be emailed, I'd be willing to "shop" it around to see what kind of a deal they'd do for me, they've help me out with other projects in the past at a very reasonable price. Worst case is they're the same or more, but I'm thinking they'd better.

Feel free to PM me and I'll get you my email.

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Garrett booster

If you close to pro-trans, stop and bother him into doing them. He already makes 904 drums.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Is this the one you're referring to?: http://www.protransracing.com/index.html#

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Garrett booster

Yes sir, there not known for being quick. Going to take someone local to get it done.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    I've talked about doing billet drums for some time now and as always I end up making other parts and I push the project back. Also its a very big under taking with the amount of time/work/money involved. I've spent a lot of time racing and testing our transmissions in the red sled, moorespeed's 1st gen, and my 1st gen neon's. All low 9's and high 8 second passes, and everyone of them I always see wear on the frictions. I've tried 7 alto red's into my modified drum with larger piston and still see unwanted wear.
    The ultimate combination would be to machine a new forward drum that has splines for 904 frictions in high gear. Also we would have to machine a high gear drum to accept 904 steels. The drum would use the multi-spring pack for he return spring and a oversized piston for more clamping force on the frictions. The 904 frictions can be found everywhere and have a lot more surface area over the fwd frictions. Also another possibility is a wider 2nd gear band option for the billet drum. I would like to see peoples interest and would love to make it happen.
    Are these going to be complete, ready to go drums with all springs and pistons needed or are those pieces going to have to be sourced afterwards?

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast