I've talked about doing billet drums for some time now and as always I end up making other parts and I push the project back. Also its a very big under taking with the amount of time/work/money involved. I've spent a lot of time racing and testing our transmissions in the red sled, moorespeed's 1st gen, and my 1st gen neon's. All low 9's and high 8 second passes, and everyone of them I always see wear on the frictions. I've tried 7 alto red's into my modified drum with larger piston and still see unwanted wear.
The ultimate combination would be to machine a new forward drum that has splines for 904 frictions in high gear. Also we would have to machine a high gear drum to accept 904 steels. The drum would use the multi-spring pack for he return spring and a oversized piston for more clamping force on the frictions. The 904 frictions can be found everywhere and have a lot more surface area over the fwd frictions. Also another possibility is a wider 2nd gear band option for the billet drum. I would like to see peoples interest and would love to make it happen.