Thread: Questions on Installing Stage 5 ECU, Injectors and 3 bar map on GLHS

Mitsu booster

Questions on Installing Stage 5 ECU, Injectors and 3 bar map on GLHS

Getting ready to install the new computer, injectors, 3 bar map in my GLHS.

Current car setup. I think it is a Stage 2 Shelby computer from Forward Motion so 12 PSI boost normally. Adjustable boost controller set currently to 17psi. Also has an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and +20% injectors currently.

New Setup. I have the Stage 5 ECU from FWD Performance which I believe is 18psi. +40% injectors and 3 bar map.

A few questions....

1: Has +20% injectors now, putting in +40%. I've heard changing injectors on the 2 piece intake is more difficult but the +20% injectors are slightly smaller than stock so possibly we can do it without removing the intake. Should we plan to remove the intake to change injectors? Ie, do i need to order a gasket kit before we tear it down?

2: Fuel pressure adjustment? Fuel pressure is higher than stock now so going to the +40s....how much should we reduce fuel pressure if any? No gauge so working blind but Mike told me how many turns on the regulator = how many PSI of fuel pressure and I do have a wideband so if it is close we can dial it in the rest of the way.

3: Has an adjustable boost controller and the car is running 17psi(computer would think it is 12psi). With a new ECU set to run 18 psi, do we need to do any adjustment to the boost controller? Would the boost controller just do it's trickery to 17psi then the computer would take it the rest of the way to 18psi or do we need to adjust the boost controller?

Thank you!

Chris

turbo addict

Re: Questions on Installing Stage 5 ECU, Injectors and 3 bar map on GLHS

Remove the fuel regulator or valve cover. There is zero need to remove the intake manifold.

What exactly is your current boost controller?
    Leave the fuel pressure stock. Don't touch it. Adjust the fuel via the ECU. If engine run too rich, send the ECU back to FWD and get a new calibration.
    Do you have a race ported head? If not, then stage 5 ECU is not for you. Stage 4 would be a better choice.

Mitsu booster

The boost controller is just an adjustable boost controller from Forward Motion. I'm not sure more details if that is what you are asking. Basically you turn a screw and it tricks the computer.

Fuel pressure is already not stock so no idea how to put it back to stock unless we installed a fuel pressure gauge. Best I can come up with is to do relative adjustments. Mike told me how many turns to make for each 2 psi adjustment in fuel pressure so I can increase or decrease from where I am but not sure exactly what I'm at now.

Went through the parts the car has with Cindy before ordering so hope I'm ok. The head is an Enforcer 1 from Forward Motion.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Welcome!
    I have wiggled both stock and +20 injectors on my two piece with the regulator removed on several occasions.
    With a new ECU set to run 18 psi, do we need to do any adjustment to the boost controller? No but check your A/F numbers
    I am unclear with two of your comments
    ...(computer would think it is 12psi).... and ....Would the boost controller just do it's trickery to 17psi then the computer would take it the rest of the way to 18psi
    An external boost controller such as a MBC does not involve trickery, it simply attempts to control the boost rather than the ECU. The ECU still controls fuel and timing.
    As a note, the vendors higher stage ECU packages run extremely rich to ensure that the engines don't get destroyed by detonation.
    Regards,
    Miles

DD '87 Sundance T1, SLH with rear disks
    '87 CSX #432 2.5 CB TII, SLH

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by chrispfarrell View Post
    The boost controller is just an adjustable boost controller from Forward Motion. I'm not sure more details if that is what you are asking. Basically you turn a screw and it tricks the computer.
    Picture or link of what it is?

Mitsu booster

Gold piece in right of picture is adjustable boost regulator. Fuel pressure regulator is from FM but I think it is a bosch.

turbo addict

That boost controller does not fool the computer, in fact, it bypass the computer for boost control. The controller bleed air and send signal to the wastegate actuator on the turbo.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by chrispfarrell View Post
    Gold piece in right of picture is adjustable boost regulator. Fuel pressure regulator is from FM but I think it is a bosch.
    Here is an excellent link to how they are made....Gus
    http://www.gusmahon.org/html/boostcontrol.htm
    Regards,
    Miles

DD '87 Sundance T1, SLH with rear disks
    '87 CSX #432 2.5 CB TII, SLH