Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A413 31TH Alto Power Pack Red Eagle Frictions and Kolene Steels Group Buy

Hybrid booster

A413 31TH Alto Power Pack Red Eagle Frictions and Kolene Steels Group Buy

DO NOT CONTACT ALTO!

THIS TOOK ME 2 MONTHS OF BACK AND FORTH WITH THE OWNER OF THE COMPANY AND THE VP OF SALES. I PROMISED THEM THEY WOULD NOT GET FLOODED WITH CALLS AND EMAILS. THEY DO NOT HAVE THE TIME FOR IT. THE DEAL IS READY, CONTACTING THEM FURTHER COULD AND PROBABLY WILL DERAIL THIS ORDER.

I have already contacted Alto and got pricing for a ONE-TIME production of the friction and steel power pack components. These are the known to be the best set that were available. Many of our top turbo mopars are using these. If they want to identify themselves with testimonials, I will leave that up to them.

This will be for the Red Eagle frictions and the Kolene treated steels with the Extra Fluid Holes. If you are unfamiliar with these, here is a description:

http://www.altousa.com/page/high_performance

This is for the front drum only. It allows for 6 frictions and 5 steels to be installed.

The pricing is $700. This will get you 50 frictions and 50 steels and does not include shipping.

Here is the direct email that I got. I am not making a dime on this. I just want to get them made.

"045740-155 .060” (1.55mm) Friction Disc Front PowerPack® Component
    Minimum order 1000 cost $8 each

045703HK155 .060” (1.55mm) Steel Plate Front PowerPack® Component
    Minimum order 1000 cost $6 each"

First 20 people on the list will get the parts. If you want more than one set, then fill your name in on the next available line. If you do not need 50 of each then you can sell them to your friends put them on eBay whatever, but this is how I'm doing the order to simplify things.

It will take 12-16 weeks after the money is collected and sent to get them produced.

Feel free to share this on the neon forums as well.

If there are any questions on topic, please private message me. Do not plug up this thread.

1. turboshelbys
    2. turboshelbys
    3. turboshelbys

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

Re: A413 31TH Alto Power Pack Red Eagle Frictions and Kolene Steels Group Buy

1. turboshelbys
    2. turboshelbys
    3. turboshelbys
    4. A.J.

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Better sign me up too, and I'll try to find the money!

1. turboshelbys
    2. turboshelbys
    3. turboshelbys
    4. A.J.
    5. wheming
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

What is the advantage of these?

Quote Originally Posted by c2xejk View Post
    What is the advantage of these?
    In a stock application, really nothing. I had a stock transmission last well over 200,000 miles in a '88 T-1 Daytona.

In a performance application, running 6 clutches over 4 gives you more clamping force and the fact you're using superior materials over stock gives you more life for your trans before you need to do rebuild. The direct drum clutch pack (front drum in turboshelbys initial description) takes the most amount of abuse and wear (not to be confused with the forward drum. In the transmission the direct drum is closer to the front pump than the forward drum). But if you don't do the supporting mods (up your line pressure, get rid of the wavy snap rings, and block the accumulator piston to eliminate squishy shifts for starters) you probably won't get the performance out of them you should.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

At what point HP wise are these a benefit?

Mitsu booster

1. turboshelbys
    2. turboshelbys
    3. turboshelbys
    4. A.J.
    5. wheming
    6. Max Headroom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    At what point HP wise are these a benefit?
    I wouldn't say there's a specific number where these would help. What I will say is anyone rebuilding a transmission that they are racing or just dailying, would want the best parts they could put in it. These are definitely the best frictions and steels that we can get.

So for basically $78 per rebuild, your going to have the strongest clutch pack available. Most regular frictions and steels cost more than that.

Right now I have to rebuild my transmission once, sometimes twice a season using the regular frictions and steels. I know guys who have been using the power packs who go four to five years without a rebuild and making a lot more power than I am.

With all this being said, if you want a number, I would say 300 horsepower would be a good starting point.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor rdnoel86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by turboshelbys View Post
    I wouldn't say there's a specific number where these would help. What I will say is anyone rebuilding a transmission that they are racing or just dailying, would want the best parts they could put in it. These are definitely the best frictions and steels that we can get.

So for basically $78 per rebuild, your going to have the strongest clutch pack available. Most regular frictions and steels cost more than that.

Right now I have to rebuild my transmission once, sometimes twice a season using the regular frictions and steels. I know guys who have been using the power packs who go four to five years without a rebuild and making a lot more power than I am.

With all this being said, if you want a number, I would say 300 horsepower would be a good starting point.

I'll add weight is a factor as well. its hard on the auto trans...or any trans actually, but especially the a413. Weight + more hp equals a definite need for upgraded clutches if you don't want to rebuild every couple of weekends... Boots is working on a drum to take 904 clutches. Its a ways off yet but I think the ultimate way to go when its done...

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor mopar-tech's Avatar

Machined drum with a larger piston works too.

Working on clearing the decks.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

How many passes do you get between refreshes?
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    How many passes do you get between refreshes?
    30-40 with the regular frictions and steels

Garrett booster

Why not put $700 towards a billet drum that would use larger 904 frictions?

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    How much bigger are the 904 frictions and steels?
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Are these billet drums available?

I was going to ask if this was an option. Assuming the availability is there, it would make more sense to upgrade to a drum that takes more commonly available friction. Seems like that would be a win-win.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Hybrid booster

I was going to ask if this was an option. Assuming the availability is there, it would make more sense to upgrade to a drum that takes more commonly available friction. Seems like that would be a win-win.
    I would gladly do that, is it readily available? what other modifications to the transmission have to be done for that to work?

I was looking at the alto frictions and steels, because they have been made before and no modifications to the transmission have to be made.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor mopar-tech's Avatar

The Reliant uses stock mopar frictions and steels.

Working on clearing the decks.

I would gladly do that, is it readily available? what other modifications to the transmission have to be done for that to work?
    All good questions.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Lets get the drums done. I would like a replaceable part without having to hoard.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast