Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another 2.2 vs. 2.5 debate

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

Another 2.2 vs. 2.5 debate

Okay, my daughter and I are planning out the build for her '86 Daytona. All the electronics will be from an '89 Shelby which was a 2.2, but the engine we have is a 2.5. So the choices we have are to get a custom calibration to run the 2.5 or get a crankshaft and pistons and build a 2.2. We're working under the assumption that the block will need bored, so we'll have to buy pistons anyway. Beyond that the car will be basically stock but planning ahead for future upgrades, so it will have bigger exhaust, fuel pump, and ported head, manifolds, and turbo from the start. Transmission will be a 520 unless a 555, 523, or 568 come along. Keep in mind this will be her first car, so I'll keep the power down until she proves herself responsible enough for more.

So in this situation, what would you build?

turbo addict

Re: Another 2.2 vs. 2.5 debate

Run the 2.5 and get a custom calibration.

turbo addict

Use the iron you've got. Between the your parts collection and the other local guys we've got all the stuff to arrange electrons in the wiring and calibrations you'd need. Phil can burn chips. I have the MPScilink to datalog to help with dialing it in...well once I figure the driver/communication bit. After getting my toes wet with Drew tuning his car I'm all in with building what you want/have and tuning it. I have a2.5 SMEC if it helps the cause any...
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

turbo addict

2.5 with Garrett turbo & get a 88-89 2.5 SMEC, or custom cal. 2.5 with Mitsubishi turbo is dumb combo at anything over stock boost levels.
    Todd

Hybrid booster

2.5 for your situation.

Quote Originally Posted by 4 l-bodies View Post
    2.5 with Garrett turbo & get a 88-89 2.5 SMEC, or custom cal. 2.5 with Mitsubishi turbo is dumb combo at anything over stock boost levels.
    Todd
    Oh it'll have a Garret. I've got a couple of center sections on the shelf, just might have to track down the turbine housing and swingvalve.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by supercrackerbox View Post
    Oh it'll have a Garret. I've got a couple of center sections on the shelf, just might have to track down the turbine housing and swingvalve.
    I have plenty of 2.25" swingvalves available cheap for about the cost of shipping.
    Todd

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

I'd do whatever Todd says.
    Yeah, I'm a kiss a**
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

The 2.5 is easy with a SMEC.

Quote Originally Posted by 4 l-bodies View Post
    I have plenty of 2.25" swingvalves available cheap for about the cost of shipping.
    Todd
    I'll keep that in mind, but I'm gonna try to find a 2.5" first. Thanks though.

turbo addict

I would say the "best motor" is THE best motor in the best condition that you stumble across period

then make that work best as you can

for a 200 ish hp motor the cast crank lightweight rod 2.2 is just fine

and it can rev too
    and it's cheep
    and it's disposable

and it will take about two weeks of being beaten with a stuck wastegate

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Johny Dodge View Post
    and it will take about two weeks of being beaten with a stuck wastegate
    Ironically enough, that's what blew the original engine in the car in 1996, and now it's finally gonna get replaced 23 years later. No worries about lightweight rods, as of the end of this year I'll have three common block 2.5s to choose from. I'll teach Breena how to rebuild the engine along with every other aspect of the car, starting with teaching her to weld and replace the floor. Gonna be a lot of work, but hopefully we can have it done by the time she turns 16 two years from now. She'll start a build thread when the progress starts.
    Last edited by supercrackerbox; 12-12-2018 at 07:22 PM.

turbo addict

What model Daytona? CS or TurboZ with all the heavy ground f/x? Or base model with just a wing? If it's a Ground F/X car go with the 2.5 as the weight is what you want the 2.5 for. Friend had an 85 Laser with no ground f/x and just the laser wing and it was only 100lbs or so heavier than my GLHT. A 2.5 in that light thing was a pain the butt. At the strip you had to launch the car at 1100rpms because any more would light up the Dunlop 225/50 15's on crab rims. It was nerve racking to get the car off the line. In the rain you'd side step the clutch with your foot not any where near the gas and it'd spin the tires a couple revolutions and then just roll along. Back at the strip it was funny to watch it go up against built up old V8's as they're sitting there brake torquing it to the torque converters stall speed with open headers and the car is sitting there barely above idle. Baby it through 1st, watch the 70's drag car pull out on you and hammer it in 2nd and beat him to the traps with a higher MPH. That peeved a couple of them off.

But for a girl learning to drive I'd go against that. The 2.2 would be a better choice in a light daytona. My heavy 87 ShelbyZ the 2.5 was the best upgrade I ever did to that car. So it's all down to what does the car weigh. My cutoff is 2800lbs. More 2.5, less 2.2.

The car in question is a Turbo Z. This one was not a factory CS, but all the suspension, brakes, and transmission will be from a '91 Shelby. It may have the 16" wheels as well. The car will also have power windows, locks, mirrors, and driver's seat, along with the rear wiper and AC. The interior will be almost completely '89 Shelby, including the air bag system, except the seat belts will be '91 so the rear seats will have the shoulder harnesses. So yeah, it's gonna be kind of heavy for an '86.

turbo addict

It's for a teenage girl, n/a would be plenty of power. I'd more worry what kind of friends she has or will anything distract her from driving than what kind of power the engine makes.
    Last edited by tryingbe; 12-12-2018 at 08:56 PM.

Nebraska law stipulates that she can't drive with passengers without a parent or guardian present, or outside of daylight hours until she's 18. Or something like that.

turbo addict

Nebraska law stipulates that she can't drive with passengers without a parent or guardian present, or outside of daylight hours until she's 18. Or something like that.
    I hope you daughter will follow the law and not make any mistakes this woman did.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.99e9e1a4b512

Garrett booster

2.5 all day every day
    8000rpm ++ are for drag cars

Oh she's known the stipulations long before she'll get the keys. And a big part of her helping build this car is she will appreciate the car and understand the responsibility that goes with it, unlike so many of her schoolmates who's parents buy them brand new cars just to get the crap beat out of them.

Although I will say that the senior who got a brand new Focus ST a couple years ago kept his car very clean, despite all the speeding tickets he got.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by fixit View Post
    2.5 all day every day
    8000rpm ++ are for drag cars
    Wow, my Charger has seen over 7k on many occasions, but never approached 8k.

turbo addict

Oh she's known the stipulations long before she'll get the keys. And a big part of her helping build this car is she will appreciate the car and understand the responsibility that goes with it, unlike so many of her schoolmates who's parents buy them brand new cars just to get the crap beat out of them.
    I'd worry more about the effect of peer pressure and driving distraction on your daughter than the car's mechanical parts. Hopefully you're teaching her those things.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast