Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replacing thrust washers with Torrington thrust bearings

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

Replacing thrust washers with Torrington thrust bearings

I have another problem other than breaking input shafts. My rear planetary gear set is digging the thrust washer into the rear sun gear. I'm providing pictures so you can see the damage. I read a thread somewhere that Simon would sell modified sungears and a Torrington thrust bearing. I contacted him awhile ago about this and he hasn't gotten back with me. So I decided to source out the bearings and now I just need to gain access to or buy my own lathe so I can fit the Torrington thrust bearing in-between the planetary gears and the sun gear. Anybody else come across this problem? Anybody else do this? Any thoughts on this?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8935.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	63319

Name:	IMG_8936.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	1.53 MB 
ID:	63320

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor DOHCRT's Avatar

Re: Replacing thrust washers with Torrington thrust bearings

You got the hardened races with that bearing right? You will need to measure the total thickness of the bearing-race sandwich to determine how much to machine from the hub or planetary.

Vic in Phoenix
    dohcrt@cox.net

91 Spirit R/T x4
    92 Spirit R/T x2
    89 CSX
    88 CSX-TIII
    84 Rampage TII
    97 Ram (Buzzin Half Dozen)
    69 Dart GT 'Vert

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor DOHCRT's Avatar

Vic in Phoenix
    dohcrt@cox.net

91 Spirit R/T x4
    92 Spirit R/T x2
    89 CSX
    88 CSX-TIII
    84 Rampage TII
    97 Ram (Buzzin Half Dozen)
    69 Dart GT 'Vert

Quote Originally Posted by DOHCRT View Post
    You got the hardened races with that bearing right? You will need to measure the total thickness of the bearing-race sandwich to determine how much to machine from the hub or planetary.
    I did get the hardened races. The thing is is that it's not a cased unit. So I'm hoping I can get away with machining the sun gear and the torrington bearing can sit in and ride on that. Machine the planetary and tack that race into place and put it together. If I have to put a race in the sun gear that's going to be .200" thick (otherwise it'll only be .138" thick) and there won't be anything to hold the torrington bearing in place.

Torrington bearing on the left, one bearing race on the right, factory thrust washer center bottom.
    Attachment 63321

The planetary case is .150" thick. The raised area on the sun gear is .052" thick. So I have enough room for at least one race and the bearing.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

That last attachment isn't showing up (for me anyway...)

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by zin View Post
    That last attachment isn't showing up (for me anyway...)

Mike
    I could view it when I first posted it, now I can't and I can't fix it. I just tried again and it didn't work. From here on out, pictures may or may not be displayed. If you don't or can't view them, take it up with management.

On a side note, because posting pictures is such a hassle and a crap shoot, I have stopped posting here because everything I do I take pictures and I'm really proud of my work. If I can't show off I don't bother because I don't see a point.

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
    I could view it when I first posted it, now I can't and I can't fix it. I just tried again and it didn't work. From here on out, pictures may or may not be displayed. If you don't or can't view them, take it up with management.

On a side note, because posting pictures is such a hassle and a crap shoot, I have stopped posting here because everything I do I take pictures and I'm really proud of my work. If I can't show off I don't bother because I don't see a point.
    its broken. it wont work reliably. hasnt for years. dont try to use it. i believe the board software would have to be updated to fix the image attachment stuff.

wayne has had very much success with the tapatalk app and posting pics. and it would make things easier for you if you use a smartphone or a tablet to post.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

I don't ever have a problem posting pics, or multiple pics with tapatalk. I am using an older version on my phone.

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1542936581752.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	47.2 KB 
ID:	63336
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Mitsu booster

I am at a desk top computer and have had some trouble posting pictures also.
    Back to to the thrust bearing modification.
    I am a machinist by trade and am willing to machine the rear planetary gear set and rear sun gear for Free. You pay postage, my zip code is 63026. PM Me if interested.

ok i have a workaround for the image uploading annoyances.

it doesnt work reliably when you hit the "insert image" button in the quick reply window.

Name:	dontclickhere.png 
Views:	100 
Size:	37.2 KB 
ID:	63338

you have to hit "go advanced" and then either click the "paperclip" above or click "manage attachments" below and upload your images that way.

Name:	orclickhere.png 
Views:	98 
Size:	84.3 KB 
ID:	63340Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clickhere.png 
Views:	94 
Size:	94.4 KB 
ID:	63339Click image for larger version. 

Name:	upload.png 
Views:	112 
Size:	273.6 KB 
ID:	63341

they seem to work fine that way and dont seem to be to annoying or inconvenient to deal with.

Brian

This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

I thought by now everyone knew they had to attach images that way when using a PC.
    That is the method i always use when on my laptop, if i have to make a longer post that is easier to type with more than one finger on my phone...
    Wayne H.

'89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor rdnoel86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wheming View Post
    I thought by now everyone knew they had to attach images that way when using a PC.
    That is the method i always use when on my laptop, if i have to make a longer post that is easier to type with more than one finger on my phone...

That is probably the biggest reason I don't post here that often and haven't updated my car build is that it is so annoying to transfer my pics to the laptop, then upload them to here. I don't like Tapatalk and don't surf the net on my phone.

Quote Originally Posted by rdnoel86 View Post
    That is probably the biggest reason I don't post here that often and haven't updated my car build is that it is so annoying to transfer my pics to the laptop, then upload them to here. I don't like Tapatalk and don't surf the net on my phone.
    are you serious? i can upload the pics straight to the site from my phone without tapatalk with the same method that i posted up just hours ago.

the same method works via laptop and google chrome on a phone. i just tested it so i could let forth a rant on lazy entitled bitches!!!!! (partially serious)

click "go advanced", click the paperclip, select the images from the phone, let it upload, click "insert inline" and then done and then post. barely harder than lazy "throw your experiences in the digital garbage while funding the society-destroying-facists-facebook".

Brian
    Last edited by Aries_Turbo; 11-25-2018 at 09:18 AM.

I know we are way off topic from the orignal poster's thread, but tapatalk is very easy to use.
    I'm using an older version though that i like the interface much better.
    If anyone wants to try it, i can send the .apk for the version I'm using. Or use Aptoide to find it.
    v4.4.0

To attach pics is very simple:
    Menu> Attach Picture
    Select your pic
    Click as attachment
    Done!

Inserts pic right inline, so very easy for build log posts.
    Which reminds me, I'm behind on updating mine!
    Wayne H.

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post
    are you ----ing serious? i can upload the pics straight to the site from my phone without tapatalk with the same method that i posted up just hours ago.

the same method works via laptop and google chrome on a phone. i just tested it so i could let forth a rant on lazy entitled bitches!!!!! (partially serious)
    click "go advanced", click the paperclip, select the images from the phone, let it upload, click "insert inline" and then done and then post. barely harder than lazy "throw your experiences in the digital garbage while funding the society-destroying-facists-facebook".

Brian
    So, what part of I don't surf the net with my phone did you not understand??? Let me go slower for you.. ..I do not browse T-M or other websites through my phone. Your point is irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by wheming View Post
    I know we are way off topic from the orignal poster's thread, but tapatalk is very easy to use.
    I'm using an older version though that i like the interface much better.
    If anyone wants to try it, i can send the .apk for the version I'm using. Or use Aptoide to find it.
    v4.4.0

To attach pics is very simple:
    Menu> Attach Picture
    Select your pic
    Click as attachment
    Done!

Inserts pic right inline, so very easy for build log posts.
    Which reminds me, I'm behind on updating mine!
    I tried it a long time ago and didn't like it. I just don't use my phone for that stuff anyway. If I'm on the web... I'm on my laptop... Or my wife's tablet if needed. Thanks
    Last edited by Aries_Turbo; 11-25-2018 at 09:19 AM. Reason: fixed the formatting

Quote Originally Posted by rdnoel86 View Post
    I tried it a long time ago and didn't like it. I just don't use my phone for that stuff anyway. If I'm on the web... I'm on my laptop... Or my wife's tablet if needed. Thanks
    I do understand.
    I didn't much like it when i first used it, and liked it even less after they updated and changed stuff. That's why i reverted back to an older version. The interface is different than the desktop site look, but it is simple and easy to use. And pics are attached so easy, and they always work.
    It is one of the only apps Ive actually paid for the upgraded version.
    I have the newer version on my tablet, and I don't mind it, on the tablet. Hated it on my phone.

Also, the search feature works much better through tapatalk than on the PC site!
    Wayne H.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

About searching the forum..... I like using the google "site" search function.
    As per http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...site-searching

Regards,
    Miles

DD '87 Sundance T1, SLH with rear disks
    '87 CSX #432 2.5 CB TII, SLH

I have a flip phone and I don't have any issues sending pictures !

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Hey, I remember a time before Photobucket performed a fatality on weakened forums. It was great. Still want to get my own server.

What other fixes have people done for the planetaries?
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast