Thread: Looking for defective original Chrysler Turbo HEP

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Looking for defective original Chrysler Turbo HEP

Yes it is true, i am looking for busted Chrysler part numbered Turbo HEP as I want to determine the root cause of failure.
    I did fix one that I received from a local forum member. It worked great after repair on my electronic bench but I need to test on a real car.
    Let me know as I would like to have a look over the winter as the garage is now a bit chilly....
    Last edited by chromguy; 11-16-2018 at 06:54 PM.
    Regards,
    Miles

DD '87 Sundance T1, SLH with rear disks
    '87 CSX #432 2.5 CB TII, SLH

turbo addict

Re: Looking for defective original Chrysler Turbo HEP

I have been curious about this for a while, too. What did you find?

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    I have been curious about this for a while, too. What did you find?
    Well only one data point so far but it was exactly what I expected. The copper broke from fatigue inside the wire at the junction as it leaves the plastic casting. This is a poor design and should have some sort of stress relief . As a hack, I have used a weak spring as strain relief and works well for other items such as wall worts in the past.
    Regards,
    Miles

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

i wonder if using a zip tie as a strain relief would work. heat shrink it to the wire....

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post
    i wonder if using a zip tie as a strain relief would work. heat shrink it to the wire....
    Yes it should, good idea, BTW. It would need to be "rigidly" mounted to the case in some way such as RTV, epoxy, goop, E6000 for example.
    I have also used heat shrink with 3 or 4 layers each in a different length( and diameter) from the object so the strain relief gets thinner and more flexible as you get further away from the object.
    Oh, an easy to find weak spring can be found in a retractable ball point pen.
    Regards,
    Miles

Can you rewire the HEP and use different connectors? Wondering how hard it would be to do. I mean would you do it at the unit where the wires orginate or just replace the connectors?
    Last edited by minigts; 11-22-2018 at 09:48 PM.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    Can you rewire the HEP and use different connectors? Wondering how hard it would be to do. I mean would you do it at the unit where the wires originate or just replace the connectors?
    Yes rewiring is possible but I am guessing the issue is not at the connectors but where the wires enter the hep case.

Anyone have defective units I can test/fix?
    Regards,
    Miles

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

I don't believe I have any known dead ones around. To Jon's question, I have switched the factory connector over to a Delphi style connector in the past. Never had a problem with that system, but have since sold the car.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor DOHCRT's Avatar

Did you take any pix of the disassembled sensor. I just had one fail in a TBI Shadow (206k on the odo), I took it apart and don't see any obvious damage, so if a wire is broken it must be inside the insulation. The part I can't figure out is where the wires go into the sensor itself. It looks to be cast in plastic? I isn't very soft where you could remove it like the ECU potting. How did you get to the sensor ends of the wiring?

Vic in Phoenix
    dohcrt@cox.net

91 Spirit R/T x4
    92 Spirit R/T x2
    89 CSX
    88 CSX-TIII
    84 Rampage TII
    97 Ram (Buzzin Half Dozen)
    69 Dart GT 'Vert

turbo addict

solved this twenty years ago
    problem with the hep is twofold
    first the teeny weenie wires were a bad call

second and worse was encloseing them in a sleaving that becomes hard as rock with time and heat

the sleaving then causes the little wires to streach to the breaking point

solution

throw the mopar hep in garbage can

go to canadian tire and buy new pick up they carry

WHY??

better wires , better sleaving
    nice and soft and rubberie
    mmm rubberie...

the hep you're lookin' for has a thicker set of wires that look more like little lamp cords than phone wires (small groove in wires between each wire in sleeving - like lamp cord)

me , being cheep , I have one I pinched from a car at the wreckers .. about 22-25 years ago
    I've used it in every car I've driven regularly since about 96

and it's in my 87 charger right now .. which had broken hep wires when I bought it

factory heps are / were always garbage

proof --is I haven't had any reason to buy one since I stopped using the o-e ones

and here in 2018 the wires on that old free hep are still in perfect condition where they go into the actual pick up plate and the backs of the plugs as is the rubber sleeving on them

no cracks , no splits , nothing's pulling apart , still just like on day one

Quote Originally Posted by DOHCRT View Post
    Did you take any pix of the disassembled sensor. I just had one fail in a TBI Shadow (206k on the odo), I took it apart and don't see any obvious damage, so if a wire is broken it must be inside the insulation. The part I can't figure out is where the wires go into the sensor itself. It looks to be cast in plastic? I isn't very soft where you could remove it like the ECU potting. How did you get to the sensor ends of the wiring?
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Bx...hLhbPk7bp5tx0N
    The wire did bust on the inside of the insulation, not at the hall effect sensor itself but at the edge of the black plastic HEP assembly were the wires go to the outside work. In my picture, the edge of the piece of paper is pointed to the edge I refer to.
    Regards,
    Miles

turbo addict

there can be a lesser cause of the little wires failing too - and this one you DO have to watch out for

- mechanics at the dealership with sharp little points on their test lights

service guy pushed my already new hep across the counter , said you needed this to
    I looked at it , saw the little copper strands hanging out of the pin hole in the sleeving and said that's odd , it worked yesterday and on the way over .. before you broke the wire with your test light
    and
    no..
    I am NOT paying you 98 bucks for another when I already have a new one which you're going to replace 'cause you broke it

.. not me

so back to topic
    there's a couple of ways those wires get broken
    one's a sham