Thread: 1987turismo duster 2.5 turbo

Mitsu booster

Question 1987turismo duster 2.5 turbo

Building a 1987 plymouth turismo duster, dropped in a 2.5 turbo, original motor was 2.2 TBI, had electric fuel pump and sending unit in tank from factory, had a rust hole in fuel tank and changed it to a new one, problem was fuel pump was extremely rusty and had 3 individual wires, 2 went to fuel pump, 1 went to sending unit, had 2 hoses coming out from tank. All the sending units i find now have a 3 wire plug , and 3 lines coming to the outside, but i have to look at 89 dodge omni to find one that even looks close, when i run vin # mine shows to be a turismo horizon, but has the original duster symbols and the 10th and 11th digit in vin are HD, which decodes to heavy duty, anyone know what year sending unit and fuel pump i need to order,or does anyone have a used one on this site?

turbo addict

Re: 1987turismo duster 2.5 turbo

Okay I'll take a stab at this. First of all welcome! Glad to have you onboard. HD doesn't stand for heavy duty on your VIN plate. H stands for the model year, so H stands for 1987, while the D stands for the plant it was made, which was Belvidere. If your car was a 86, it would be a GD, a 85 would be FD. You get the idea.
    On the the fuel pump. You need to use a sending unit from a 88-90 TBI Omni or Horizon. A 85-87 SC or GLHT would also work. Pretty tough to find these new. The original 85-87 turbo L-bodies used a two pump system. A very small internal pump, used primarily to prime the external pump, and a Bosch external pump. Most of these failed many years ago and have since been replaced by a 88-90 style sending unit. They were very noisy pumps even when they worked. I wouldn't recommend using the two pump system unless it was given to you for practically nothing.
    After you have secured a 88-90 TBI sending unit, you need to change out the TBI pump out of it to a higher pressure and higher volume pump. Look for a 195-255 liter/hr pump. Walbro was the original supplier. You need to be aware that the market is flooded with fake Walbro pumps, so buy only from a known good source. They will be around $75-125 dollars. Then you mount the turbo fuel pump in the TBI sending unit. It is very close to a direct bolt in. If you don't have the correct triangular pigtail chassis wiring you should change that too.
    The three hoses coming out of the TBI pump are fuel return (1/4"), fuel outlet (5/16") going to fuel filter, then to front of vehicle. Last is the nipple that is used to manually drain the fuel tank. This fitting was always capped off, and actually disappeared on certain model year cars. It is not really necessary. In the 33+ years I have owned L-bodies, I have never used this siphon hose once. So in other words, don't worry about whether your sending unit your purchasing has or doesn't have this fitting.
    There is also another small vapor hose that comes from the top of the tank (rollover valve) this gets attached to the 3/16" vapor hardline that follows the two fuel lines running into the engine bay. Clear as mud now right? (lol)
    Good luck, hope this helps.
    Todd
    Last edited by 4 l-bodies; 11-10-2018 at 12:43 PM.

Mitsu booster

thanks Todd, i had saw an external pump just outside the tank and then found the internal one inside,i thought maybe the internal one had quit , but i tell both looked to be factory, so i was considering removing both and put an external one on and forget the factory setup, Thanks again, glad someone could explain it, because i 've not been able to find any info in a mopar manual.

turbo addict

No problem. Glad I could provide some info that you could use. You can also use the search feature on this forum to look for similar posts/threads. For example, type in "L-body turbo fuel pump" in the I need help section (not this/your thread), and also the fuel/electrical section. You will get different results for each forum section. You can try other search parameters too. The search tool button is your friend as database goes back to the beginning of this forum. Knowledge center may or may not have something on the L-body fuel pumps.

BTW external electric fuel pumps should be gravity fed. They don't like to be run dry. They do a great job of pushing fuel, but are not really designed to pull fuel. The way the hanger is designed on the L-body, that is going to be tough to have gravity feed the external pump. That is why the original turbo L-body pumps used a two pump system.

Oh, the turbo and TBI L-bodies, used a baffled fuel tank, Some aftermarket fuel tanks for L-bodies have no baffle (carb. models), while others used a somewhat effective baffle that looked like an oil change pan welded into the bottom of the tank. The aftermarket tanks were not as effective at baffling the fuel pump as the factory plastic baffled tanks. Not a huge concern unless you are into cornering at speed (boost) in your L-body.
    Todd