Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WTB - .63 Turbine Housing

Mitsu booster

Re: WTB - .63 Turbine Housing

Weather permitting, I will try your suggestion this weekend Todd.
    I did get a line on a Turbonetics .63 housing which I am going to purchase.
    If nothing else it will calm my OCD about the wastegate hole and swing valve puck not being centered!
    Dave

Hybrid booster

looks like the puck covers the hole. that is all that matters to make boost.
    if you are getting "low" boost i would look beyond the hole there..
    worst that hole could cause is un controllable creep from being to small.

Factory swingvalve pucks are not perfectly centered over all factory turbine housing wastegate ports. Casting, machining, welding, etc. variables from both pieces can all add up which can deviate the final location. Take a look at any of your old TI or TII turbine housings to confirm this. Yes, the position of the wastegate ports is slightly off from where we would like them to be on our .63 turbine housings. Since the TU 3" swingvalve has a larger puck it usually compensates and covers the hole without any issues. If stacking variables causes the hole to be exposed our second option is to try different turbine housing and swingvalve combinations until the puck coverage is acceptable. If the hole is still not covered or the customer is running a 2.25"/2.5" SV our third option is to drill 4 of the swingvalve mounting holes larger so that it pivots on the turbine housing enough to provide wastegate port coverage. The last option is to remove the factory puck and install a 38mm Stainless Steel puck. We prefer to exercise all other options before the last mainly because older/weaker actuators can be challenged at holding the larger puck closed against the exhaust stream.

Prior to shipping the assembled turbo to Dave we conducted a light test from both sides and also applied Dykem to scribe around the puck. When he first contacted us regarding the low boost condition we went over a few other possibilities that could be causing the issue. Dave was adamant that the puck alignment was the problem and wasn't entertaining any other suggestions. We have installed many a turbo with identical puck coverage without issues and we felt that there was something else that was being overlooked in his situation. We were glad to see others chiming in with known port leaks that achieved much better boost performance.

We recommend the customer drills out the SV mounting holes to allow it to pivot on the turbine housing. If that does not center it enough for his piece of mind we can get the larger 38 mm puck out to him. We have located a .48 A/R turbine housing and are in the process of removing broken studs. After that we can increase the turbine wheel area to accept a Stage 2 wheel if he is still interested in that option. With the lack of good usable housings from our core supplier it has become a challenge to meet the current demand for these components.

Photo of 3 swingvalve housing sizes and the puck sizes. The 38mm size is not shown.

Chris-TU
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TU and Stock SV puck difference.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	276.4 KB 
ID:	63288   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3inch_swingvalves5.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	35.8 KB 
ID:	63284   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Larger Puck.jpeg 
Views:	82 
Size:	705.0 KB 
ID:	63287  
    Last edited by Chris W; 11-08-2018 at 04:41 PM.
    Chris Wright www.TurbosUnleashed.com Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com 602-76-BOOST Tech/Sales#: Monday-Saturday 9AM-7PM MST Proudly Serving the Turbo-Mopar Community since 1997 TU is a performance, not marketing company. We provide accurate performance data on all our performance products. Fabricating data to make us appear better is just not our style. Do the research before you buy. ROCK BOTTOM PRICES WITHOUT THE HIDDEN HANDLING FEES.... -----HOME OF THE 9 SECOND FWD T-M CLUTCH-----

Mitsu booster

Chris, what I am adamant about is that you are passing on a poorly casted piece of crap as a bolt on replacement for the no longer available Turbonetics .63 turbine housing. No where do you mention that the wastegate hole was cast incorrectly (if I wouldn't have confronted you on it I wouldn't have known). And if some poor soul tried to use a factory 2 1/4 or 2 1/2" swing valve, the puck would never cover the hole in the turbine housing - very deceitful! I never said this was/is my only problem - HOWEVER IT IS A PROBLEM!
    Until you tried to discredit me I was not going after you - I simply stated I had low boost and was not happy with the fitment of your parts. I also asked if you would sell me a .48 housing bored for the stage II wheel. Notice I said SELL, I didn't say "Hey your part is a piece of junk, give me something else."
    I didn't want to bring you or your parts into this - I simply wanted to buy a .63 turbine housing. However, others commented that "TU sells those new". That's when I decided to mention the fitment issues with your product so no one else made the same mistake I did in assuming the part would fit properly. You mention "Hidden" things about your competitors - What about these "HIDDEN" fitment issues you failed to disclose? Again, very deceitful! You also never mentioned drilling the holes on the swing valve (I kept all of my emails if you would like me to post them) Though again, if the housing was cast correctly I would not have to do that!
    Your communication is also very poor - you told me you were working on locating a .48 housing on 10/17/18 - I have not received an update since. I've had to contact you on every order I've placed to find out where my parts are - or to tell you that you forgot to ship something.

Dave, We do encourage all TU turbine housing customers to check fitment with their SV of choice, including you. You purchased your 3" swingvalve before your turbo and when we sent your turbocharger we recommended you check and make any necessary adjustments. Your attempts to install the 38mm puck were unsuccessful so we asked you to just send everything to us so we could complete the work for you. We replaced the first 3" swingvalve you admittedly Fubared with a new one that covered the WG port better, verified the puck was sealed using a bluing tint and light test. We provided you with photographs of the work we did and you even complimented us on going above and beyond. All of this is in the email exchange between us so please reread it to confirm if I am misstating anything. We can send you another 38mm puck if you would like to weld it on as Todd suggested. Based on your email address I assume your are a welder so hopefully that will not be difficult for you. We can also get the oil drain tube for the used TU header you purchased. Let us know.

Here's the backstory on the turbine housings.

Providing products to a niche community has it's challenges and one of them is finding manufacturers willing to produce limited quantities of an item. For years we had been searching for a company that would cast these discontinued housings for us. The manufacturer we located required a 1000 piece minimum order, but fortunately we were able to negotiate a more reasonable quantity. We provided them with a factory .63 A/R housing and received 6 samples a few months later. 4 l-bodies received one of the test pieces because we value his feedback and experience. Todd even agreed the quality of the housings was exceptional when compared to previous brands. Unfortunately, there was a problem with the wastegate port being too small (see attached photo) and the manufacture assured us it would be corrected with production pieces. There was no reason for us not to proceed with a larger quantity order based on the test pieces we had received.

When the production units arrived we quickly found out that the hole size had been corrected but they inadvertently moved it. The manufacturer, who still had our sample, acknowledged their mistake and agreed to take care of the problem. However, they could not incur the cost of returning the first order and shipping the replacements. The exchange process would take months and many of our customers had already been waiting on these turbine housings to complete their builds. Since it was a fairly simple fix and mainly affected those running factory swingvalves we decided to resolve the misalignment in a faster and less costly way. Using the suggestions in our previous post and the 38mm puck for extreme situations the issue was resolved.

Most of our 3" Swingvalves cover the offset port because of the larger 35mm puck. When we receive an order that included the 3" SV and our turbine housing we would always match the two pieces up before selecting them for a build. If a customer was just purchasing the turbine housing we urged them to verify their swingvalve would cover the port or to make the necessary adjustments. Worst case scenario the 38mm pucks would cover the hole.

To date we have sold over 100 of our turbine housings and until now there have been no performance complaints that we have been made aware of. We don't consider the turbine housing "defective" just because of the misplaced wastegate port. It does not affect everyone and there is a simple fix for those that it does. One customer, Mike Radowski, purchased our cast iron header, TU turbine housing and 3" Swingvalve. He recently posted the results of his first dyno run. 433HP/486Tq. I attached
    a few photos of the dyno run and his set up. If this turbine housing was defective the dyno results would reflect that.

Chris-TU

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2062.JPG 
Views:	105 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	63296
    First Sample w/small WG Port

Name:	45226731_10217203307176429_377241992813346816_o.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	189.9 KB 
ID:	63300
    Mike Radowski first Dyno Run. Breaking it in

Name:	45231172_10217204462445310_2324759733107425280_o.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	552.7 KB 
ID:	63297

Name:	45201175_10217204460285256_8416695935064604672_o.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	517.6 KB 
ID:	63298

Name:	45276524_10217204457765193_8953313104691724288_o.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	429.8 KB 
ID:	63299
    Mike Radowski Set Up- TU Header, Swingvalve and turbine housing.

Name:	thumbnail_20180307_210850.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	210.8 KB 
ID:	63303

Name:	thumbnail_20180307_211805.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	131.7 KB 
ID:	63301

Name:	thumbnail_20180307_210708.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	203.3 KB 
ID:	63304

Name:	thumbnail_20180307_210700.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	125.9 KB 
ID:	63302
    Customer Dave D. getting ready for the light test
    Last edited by Chris W; 11-10-2018 at 10:55 PM.
    Chris Wright www.TurbosUnleashed.com Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com 602-76-BOOST Tech/Sales#: Monday-Saturday 9AM-7PM MST Proudly Serving the Turbo-Mopar Community since 1997 TU is a performance, not marketing company. We provide accurate performance data on all our performance products. Fabricating data to make us appear better is just not our style. Do the research before you buy. ROCK BOTTOM PRICES WITHOUT THE HIDDEN HANDLING FEES.... -----HOME OF THE 9 SECOND FWD T-M CLUTCH-----

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12