WTB - .63 Turbine Housing

Looking to buy .63 Turbine Housing, chrysler bolt pattern, stg I or II
    Price shipped to 48381
    Thanks, Dave

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Re: WTB - .63 Turbine Housing

What is your price range?
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

I'm also looking to buy one, as well as a 3"sv.

Mitsu booster

Sent pm

Mitsu booster

I was hoping to find one for $200-250 shipped.
    Dave

turbo addict

Doesn't Chris @ TU have new reproduction ones left? The prototype stage III wheel housing I bought was far better casting than Turbonetics (original) housing.
    Todd

turbo addict

Mitsu booster

I have one of TU's .63 housings and I'm not happy with the fit. If you look at the picture you will see the profile of the swing valve puck scribed onto the turbine housing - and this is a TU 3" swing valve as well. The turbine housings that TU had cast were cast incorrectly - the wastegate hole was not cast in the correct location. I am getting low boost because the swing valve puck is not sealing. I purchased this turbo (50 trim hybrid with .63 stage II turbine) from Chris in February 2018. However, I did not get to put it on until October. I contacted Chris and this is when I found out about the defective turbine housings (not happy as if I'd known I would have purchased elsewhere.) Chris has said the low boost could be from many reasons - however, the turbo, swing valve and swing valve actuator were assembled and adjusted by him! I put more pre load on the actuator with no change. The Garret that was on there was making 18 pounds, this thing can't even push 6 pounds! I even offered to buy a stock .48 housing bored to the stage II wheel from Chris so I could enjoy my SCGLHS before Michigans weather turned to crap, and he said he'd try to locate one - that was almost a month ago! I know this was a long story, but this is why I'm looking for a .63 housing.
    Dave
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180307_212020.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	63280  

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

What swingvalve housing are you using?
    They often times can be moved a bit to one side with the bolts loosened, to better cover the wastegate port.
    Also, sometimes the swing arm can be altered for the same.
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

turbo addict

Have you try to unplug the vacuum hose to the wastegate actuator and see what kind of boost # you get?

Mitsu booster

I'm using the dual pattern TU 3" swing valve. I tried moving it around, but it won't move that much!
    Yes, I did remove the line from the actuator - still under 6 pounds
    I appreciate the suggestions - but what it comes down to is a part that was cast incorrectly and needs to be replaced with a correct one. It's not as if the wastegate hole is slightly off - it's off by a country mile! I just need to find another housing.
    Dave

turbo addict

I dealt with a lot of turbo issue, bought and sold a lot of them. While I agree the housing's hole is poorly placed, but as long as the puck is covering the hole, there should be more than 6psi.

I bought a turbo that couldn't make more than 4psi boost, turned out someone installed a stage I turbine wheel in a stage II turbine housing.

My friend's air filter fall off, this made 9psi

Last edited by tryingbe; 11-07-2018 at 08:37 PM.

Mitsu booster

IF the puck completely covered the hole I would agree with you. The scribe mark is the outside of the puck and the sealing surface has a radius. If I shine light into the entrance of the turbine I can see light when I look into the swing valve around the puck. The turbo is brand new, turns freely, and the turbine housing is machined properly for the stage II wheel.
    Dave

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor DOHCRT's Avatar

Just my 2 cents...I incorrectly ported the wastegate hole in my hybrid turbo to get rid of some boost creep. I can see light around the upper edge of my puck and can actually see a gap where the puck isn't covering the entire hole. I put it back together figuring I was going to have to get a new housing, but it boosts to 21 psi (current boost limit) just fine with no obvious negative effects.

I'm sure there is something not right with your setup, but it looks like the puck does cover the entire hole, its just not centered? Do you have the large puck Chris had developed to counter the misplaced hole?

Vic in Phoenix
    dohcrt@cox.net

91 Spirit R/T x4
    92 Spirit R/T x2
    89 CSX
    88 CSX-TIII
    84 Rampage TII
    97 Ram (Buzzin Half Dozen)
    69 Dart GT 'Vert

turbo addict

The housing I bought was a prototype and the wastegate hole was drilled, not cast. In my case the hole was drilled in the exact spot it needed to be. My friend bought a production stage 1 from TU for his GLHS. When I looked at the problem, I took another approach to the fix. Since I couldn't move the cast hole, I decided to move the puck on the swingvalve. The huge swingvalve puck that Chris provided with the housing fit way too loose in the hole for my tastes. The factory used a machined two stepped puck (see pic). So I welded the stainless lever hole shut, and re-drilled to better center the swingvalve puck. I also made the hole in the swingvalve a much tighter fit (like a stocker) for the replacement puck. I then tig welded using stainless washer instead of peening the swingvalve puck (again like a stock Garrett swingvalve). It works perfect in my friends car. It looks almost identical to a stock Garrett swingvalve.
    Todd

Name:	IMG_8197.JPG 
Views:	91 
Size:	141.0 KB 
ID:	63281   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8196.JPG 
Views:	100 
Size:	169.1 KB 
ID:	63282  

turbo addict

I agree with Harry and Vic, something else is wrong with your turbo or installation. Like Harry was saying, is maybe the wrong turbine in the wrong housing? For example, a F1-49 Turbonetics wheel is not the same as a std. Garrett turbine. It may fit, but it doesn't fit correctly. Very similar to the pic. Harry posted.
    Todd

Mitsu booster

Todd, I purchased the complete turbo from TU. I had purchased the 3" swing valve earlier. I removed a perfectly functioning TII turbo in the morning and installed this one - low boost. Adjusted the actuator for more preload - same. Performed a smoke test - no leaks.
    Regardless, I don't like the fit of this housing and will be replacing it or modifying the swing valve as you have done.
    Again, thanks for the suggestions
    Dave

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Its just that your experiences are both surprising and disappointing. Others have had great success. Which is why folks are doing what they can to understand and help get you back in business.

Do you have a picture of the turbine housing installed on the center section, with the swingvslve housing off?
    This is a s journal bearing turbo?
    How much clearance is there between the turbine wheel and the housing?
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Mitsu booster

I know this is not a very good picture - but it's the best I have while I'm at work
    Dave

Name:	IMG_1841.JPG 
Views:	114 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	63283  

turbo addict

Dave,
    IIRC, Johnny (Polybushings owner) had a low, really lazy boost deal going on with his Consulier at SDAC (one near Milwaukee) a couple/few years ago. His ended up being the turbo. I could email him for the details. IIRC, pretty much the same symptoms you are experiencing. His had higher boost than yours, but it felt like it had a huge turbo on it (it didn't) and wouldn't develop full boost until like 5K and up. Did you have anything done to turbine wheel such as quick spool option, clipped, etc.? I also heard of this happening on a friends GT3071 or 3076 turbo as well.
    I agree with you about the housing/swingvalve mating being less than ideal, but I suspect something is wrong with the turbo. You could narrow down the issue by TEMPORARILY wiring the swingvalve shut so it can't move. Then CAREFULLY drive the vehicle and see if low boost condition still exists.
    A good friend of mine had a GT turbo that had the wastegate opening ported WAY too far. He was trying to avoid boost creep, but what he got in return was a turbo that wouldn't develop very high boost 10-12PSI IIRC. He changed out wastegate actuator to a Holset w/18 PSI spring, and it still would blow the wastegate puck open at 15 PSI or earlier. In his case, he just had to much surface area on puck. The fix for him was to purchase another GT exhaust housing. Problem solved after the install.
    Hang in there Dave, you'll figure it out.
    Todd

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast