Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting ready to start parting out the Caliber

Hybrid View

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

Getting ready to start parting out the Caliber

I haven't started making official For Sale threads yet, but if anyone is looking for something, it's all for sale. Hood and front end were destroyed, but fog lights and left headlamp survived. Drivetrain and hatch are already spoken for, and I've got a line on the cat-back exhaust. Wheels and brakes will be available, but not until the shell is on the trailer to be hauled off. Drag wheel/tire package available now. Let me know if anyone wants anything before I start posting threads or putting parts on Ebay.

Thanks,
    Adam

Re: Getting ready to start parting out the Caliber

Curious about the brakes. Wondering if they would fit an L-body?
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

I've actually been meaning to message you about that. They're big. My 18" Tracklite drag wheels barely clear the calipers. The front brakes are the same as used on the Charger R/T. The rears are standard Caliber non-vented discs, although I just put on new Power Stop brakes right before SDAC in Detroit for the road racing. Plenty of life left in them. https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...sn=461&jsn=461

But I was also wondering if the drag tires would fit your car- 18"x8" Motegi Tracklites, 5x114.3mm/4.5" bolt pattern with 245/40/18 Hoosier drag radials with only 10 passes on them. I paid almost a grand for the set.

I just bought a pair of 245/40-17s and test fit in the front. Barely fit, have to make an adjustment for the side ground effects. Amazingly, the sweep lock to lock looks ok. I don't think a 245/40-18 would fit. Sounds like the brakes won't fit if your wheels barely clear. Do you know the total diameter of the setup? I need to measure the inside of my wheels, curious if the information is online.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Summit says the OD on the tires is 26". I have 24" OD tires on my Charger. There's still some room, but I doubt that much.

As for the wheel clearance to the brakes, the shop that balanced them stacked tape weights on one wheel, and that extra thickness hit the caliper. So I'd say .25" clearance at best.

24 3/4" for a 245/40-17, currently running 225/35-17 which is 1.5" shorter. I think you could probably MOUNT the wheel onto the hub, but doubt you'd be able to set the car down or turn it without some rubbing. Man those brakes would be killer on my car though.

turbo addict

whoa, what happened??? I must of missed a thread??? Your's is blue right???

Yeah, it's the blue one I brought to the last three SDACs. I hit a deer last month and insurance totaled it out. While part of me wants another one, I've got enough cars to worry about, and it sucks having a car with even less aftermarket support than our original turbo Mopars. A lot of the upgrade parts I have on it aren't in production anymore.

turbo addict

I could use a couple small interior pieces. Too bad it's not black or I'd take the jack covers as I'm missing the drivers side. Is there a thread somewhere with all you've done to it??? Shoot me a PM if you want.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

I guess it goes without asking, but your front bumper cover was probably destroyed as well?

My Caliber SRT-4 just got hit hard while parked in front of my house by a drunk driver at 2am last week. Luckily the hood and fenders survived, but just about everything else has to be replaced on the front (bumper cover, headlights/fogs, bumper support, radiator, possibly intercooler (although I have a new AGP sitting here at least) etc..

I have a big tote full of new upgrades that I finally have an excuse to stop and install on the car now at least. What kind of upgrades are you selling?

Oh that sucks. Was it a hit and run or did they get the guy?

Yeah, unfortunately I don't have any front end parts except the fog lights and bezels I just listed. I'm hesitant to sell the AGP intercooler just yet as I'm considering adapting it to one of my Daytonas. We'll see if it's worth the trouble. While it did survive, the upward pipe behind the grille was damaged and the boot was destroyed. I do have the factory intercooler still in excellent condition.

I've also got full exhaust posted and I also have the Mopar Stage 1 and Real Tune MS1K computers. The MS1K is for 91 octane as 93 is really hard to find in my area. I'm also getting ready to post a full set of motor mounts with poly inserts here in a few minutes, I've got to get pics of the drag wheels yet, and I'd love for someone to make use of the brakes (https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...443613&jsn=462) which are nearly new. Like I'm posting in the ads, I'm willing to pull anything I can off this car, but I need it out of my shop in the very near future.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

It was a hit and run. I woke up at 2 am with my dogs barking, so I decided to open my front door and have a look (still half asleep) and my neighbor was standing right at my front door. Scared the ---- out of me! He was just about to knock on my door and told me he witnessed it and they immediately backed up and got the hell out of there. It hit the Caliber so hard it shoved it about 6 feet backwards and into my gold Omni GLH. Coolant was still pouring out of the radiator while my neighbor and I were looking at it. Thankfully there was no damage that I could find on the rear of the Caliber or the front of the Omni! I got a police report and the only thing I have to go on is that my neighbor thinks it was either a white or creme color older boxy looking GM sedan. Thank god the Caliber's airbags didn't go off, but I imagine his probably did so I will be looking around for it.

So far as far as upgrades I already have an AGP intercooler, RealTune MS1k 91 octane ECU, NeedsWings downpipe, and a few other things that I've hoarded and never installed yet. I'm really tempted to get your CPE cat-back, but a new bumper cover is going to cost a lot, if I can even find one.

What *REALLY* sucks is that I had full coverage on the car up until about 6 months ago. I decided to just put liability coverage on it because it's 10 years old now and I really only drive to work and back (about 8 blocks away). I still only have 55k miles on my CSRT. So it's looking like I'm pretty well screwed as far as the cost to repair, but I think I can fix it myself aside from the new paint on the new cover.

Insurance is a pain. I did have full coverage on mine, and while they surprisingly gave me a fair deal on the car, once anything approaches the ten year mark they'd rather total it out than deal with repairing it. I went through the same thing a year ago with my '95 F150. Seriously one of the last remaining rust-free Fords in the Midwest, bought from the original owner with 67K original miles and they totaled it for a broken grille, bent bumper, and a tweaked fender. Meanwhile my wife and I just spent a week traveling thru Houston, Tucson, and Santa Fe to bring back a rust-free '91 Daytona Shelby, and I'm probably only going to have liability just so the insurance vultures can't put a salvage title on yet another of my cars.

Mitsu booster

I recently hit a tire cap from a tractor trailer demolishing my front and rear bumper fascia. I was able to get a front cover from huntingforparts.com $561.00 plus shipping which was (r u sitting down) $387.00 but the rear fascia is discontinued so I bought it used off of ebay. There's also a $100.00 core charge for the front fascia. I have full coverage on it but two body shops refused to do the work for the fact parts r so hard to find so good luck if you need help locating anything let me know I'll be glad to help and check out seller ( mopar211 ) on eBay he's got a shop and parts out srt4's . hope you find what u need just holla if u what some help

Sent from my LML713DL using Tapatalk

I'll probably put my rear bumper on ebay, along with whatever interior parts I feel like stripping out. I just need to get the shell out of my shop and start getting ready for stripping the Daytona.

Mitsu booster

Here is a list of what I had to get and total cost. Front facsia,lower front facsia,left fog light bucket, (I bought both sides )I found the fog light unbroken in the ditch ( go figure the one thing that is easy to find) top gap cover, left inner fender liner, rear facsia, rear bumper mounting bracket, and rear bumper closure. Initial estimate $2300.00 minus my deduct. So I got 17 and some change total parts cost including shipping (minus the top gap cover) approx. $1516.50. That's not including paint and my FREE LABOR( at least I'll know who to complain to if somethings wrong) But anyways hope that gives you a heads up

Last edited by Ryno; 01-15-2019 at 11:07 PM.

Been there. Hit a deer in my truck a year before. Insurance totaled it but I took the money, bought all the parts, and put it back together. I wasn't about to scrap a perfectly good sub-100k mile truck for cosmetic damage. But the deer that hit the Caliber damaged way more than I have the means to fix, especially when parts are getting so hard to find. When I first got the car, I could call the dealership and order anything I wanted. But with only 5000 cars made, there's not much of a market and FCA is discontinuing everything that isn't shared with more popular cars. From what I've seen lately, it seems that the SRT4 Neons are holding better resale value than the Calibers.

Mitsu booster

You still have the boost gauge to sale

PM sent

Mitsu booster

Getting ready to start parting out the Caliber

Let me know what else is left since I just spent a small fortune on this car because there are pretty much no rear fascia to buy as I was told by a dealership did get a used one though just needs prep and paint. JMB Performance is 1 1/2 hrs from me and they had it on ebay did get the front new but it cost me 900 and some change shipping was almost 400 of it.
    Last edited by Ryno; 01-21-2019 at 10:48 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast