Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SRT4 Consulier

turbo addict

Re: SRT4 Consulier

Rob aka shadow has been making a lot of power on a non common block for a long time.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thedon809 View Post
    Rob aka shadow has been making a lot of power on a non common block for a long time.
    Is he still racing? I haven't seen updates from him in a while.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    Is he still racing? I haven't seen updates from him in a while.
    Dunno. If he sees this thread maybe he will chime in. IIRC he is/was still using stock main caps, stock main bolts and t2 rods.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by player1up View Post
    If I go the SRT route, I plan on using a distributor adapter and running off the stock smec.
    Friend did that, end up selling everything on SMEC and went with Megasquirt.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
    Friend did that, end up selling everything on SMEC and went with Megasquirt.
    That will be factored in sometime soon. I'll keep all of the sensors so it'll be ready for MS when the time comes. Knowing my luck, the SMEC with take a dump shortly after the swap

Hybrid booster

Hey guys , important info -
    The blue car at 13psi , 93 octane is 350hp.
    At 28psi and 110 octane 500's ( electromotiv Dyno )

It is very VERY tricky to drive with that much power.
    On the track , except straights, I turn boost to around 13, on straight 20 .
    It can get SUPER LIGHT in the front end.
    It has Toyo r888,:s race alignment. All new everything.
    On the street - straight line is fun , drifting a corner is white knuckle, hoping to not to spin and loose it completely.
    I like to think I drive well, handle cars well.
    The lack of tire size in the back really hurts, controllability.

I would not aim for more then 300hp if you intend to really use it.
    So a huge HP swap is just for bragging rights. Not really that fun , or useful in this car.

If I was going to do a swap I would do a Hayabusa , and sequential shifter. Revs to 13k , weighs nothing , fits with the "add lightness" concept.

Side note- what was the best 1/4 time anyone ever did in my blue car? I saw video of Mike doing 11.3 .
    I thought eventually it did high tens, is that right?

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

turbo addict

I'd be looking at adding some downforce.

turbo addict

Something I hadn't considered much until recently with motorcycle engines being used in cars are lateral G-forces. Those engines aren't designed with lateral G-forces in mind when considering their oil systems. Too much cornering can starve the oil pick-up and...POP goes the engine. There's solutions for this of course, but just something to keep in mind.

Hybrid booster

The down force splitter ideas don't really work well via trial and error and with a splitter comes a rear wing ( look at the intruder)

Not trying to rain on anyones parade but with the most hours put on a high hp GTP,
    I think I would stick to Max 300 HP for overall drivability.

But hey , that's just my thought.

The Hayabusa is run in literally thousands of formula race cars and like the Radical- they make HUGE G forces. . They run a dry sump normally

Tires- I can't fit bigger then 225/45/16.
    I know Randy had 245/17
    I guess each car is different.

Going back to my 1/4 mi question- anyone know?

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by polopharm View Post
    Hey guys , important info -
    The blue car at 13psi , 93 octane is 350hp.
    At 28psi and 110 octane 500's ( electromotiv Dyno )

It is very VERY tricky to drive with that much power.
    On the track , except straights, I turn boost to around 13, on straight 20 .
    It can get SUPER LIGHT in the front end.
    It has Toyo r888,:s race alignment. All new everything.
    On the street - straight line is fun , drifting a corner is white knuckle, hoping to not to spin and loose it completely.
    I like to think I drive well, handle cars well.
    The lack of tire size in the back really hurts, controllability.

I would not aim for more then 300hp if you intend to really use it.
    So a huge HP swap is just for bragging rights. Not really that fun , or useful in this car.

If I was going to do a swap I would do a Hayabusa , and sequential shifter. Revs to 13k , weighs nothing , fits with the "add lightness" concept.

Side note- what was the best 1/4 time anyone ever did in my blue car? I saw video of Mike doing 11.3 .
    I thought eventually it did high tens, is that right?

I'm right with you on all of the points but I'll try to talk through my reasoning:
    The car IS pretty light on the front end and I've been trying to work through that issue and so far the only thing that helps is more weight. No real downforce can be found at street driving speeds.
    As for the "too much HP" thing, Yes, it's possible to over power a chassis, The last tune I had on the car with the mildly ported 8v head would spin the tires when I hit full boost in 2nd....BUT most if not all exotic/supercars are like that as well as sport bikes.
    It takes a certain mindset to get behind the wheel, I know this and I'm ok with that.
    I'm also OK with a 300hp 2.4 that will last 100k miles. I don't plan on tuning it past the current limitations of the car or my ability to drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    Too much cornering can starve the oil pick-up and...POP goes the engine. There's solutions for this of course, but just something to keep in mind.
    This is exactly how I spun a rod bearing.

Quote Originally Posted by polopharm View Post
    The down force splitter ideas don't really work well via trial and error and with a splitter comes a rear wing ( look at the intruder)

Not trying to rain on anyones parade but with the most hours put on a high hp GTP,
    I think I would stick to Max 300 HP for overall drivability.

But hey , that's just my thought.

The Hayabusa is run in literally thousands of formula race cars and like the Radical- they make HUGE G forces. . They run a dry sump normally

Tires- I can't fit bigger then 225/45/16.
    I know Randy had 245/17
    I guess each car is different.

Going back to my 1/4 mi question- anyone know?

Don't worry, no offense taken, I know you're the guy with the most "clench" time and value your input for sure.
    The tire problem definitely needs some thought. The series 2 cars seem to have more space in the rear for bigger tires. On my car, 225/50/15's rub the intercooler cover in the fender at hwy speeds so I can't go much taller than a 24" tire in the rear...once you start getting into wide sizes, they all end up way too tall. The closest thing I've found is a 255/45/15 ( 24" tall 10" wide ) but the tread looks like they belong on a rat rod

turbo addict

I went from street tires to road race tires on mine and wont go back to street tires unless its for a long trip.
    The grip is so much better. I drove it to Portland and back (550miles round trip) and maybe its because the car
    is so light it seems fine.
    Put them on my black Revolution wheels and kind of like the black wheel look on it in place of the teal ones.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GTP_autocross.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	787.3 KB 
ID:	63257   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SRT_3119.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	989.3 KB 
ID:	63256  
    Great stuff for great cars! Poly engine mounts and bushings at: http://www.polybushings.com

Garrett booster

"I know Randy had 245/17"

Yes I am running 17's
    Warren is also running 17's on his car.
    I have been dreaming of a motor swap also.
    It would not be a Chrysler for sure.
    I have been thinking of a Rotary.
    But the Hayabusa is a good idea also ,I bet it would sound awesome and it is light .
    Rotary is light also and it's pretty small so I believe it would fit in the engine bay....as long as you don't care about a little smoke.... and you can't beat the sound of a revving rotary.

Hybrid booster

Well, I think it's time to post an update and some lessons learned. Keep in mind I'm only going to cover GTP specific problems...this isn't a 2.4 into an omni post

Initial thoughts: Figuring out what parts to use was harder than the swap. I had an idea but just because it works for an Omni doesn't mean it'll work in a GTP. Never and I mean NEVER tell a machine shop that you're in no hurry! Double check all of your parts before install.

Engine build list:
    05 block, BC rods with ARP624+ bolts, Clevite H series crank and rod bearings, crank strap kit and machined bedplate with main studs, no balance assembly, custom oil pan baffle and windage tray, Arias forged pistons, BC springs with titanium retainers, billet oil pump gears, ARP head studs, and lightened flywheel with TU 6 puck black plate clutch. Trans is a 555/520 hybrid with the OBX LSD, bronze shift fork pads and 3.50 gears.

The head has some cleanup work done and I'm using stock cams for now, but I wanted the bottom end to be able to support whatever I decided to do in the future.

I was aware that there was a consulier with a 2.4 engine in it at one point or another and reached out to Jacob to get some info on it as I was fitting the engine. Turns out that the "factory 2.4" car was never completed and from the pictures used the neon manual trans but was never completed...so I was on my own... :/

There a number of interference issues with the N(eon)SRT 2.4. These are in order of discovery / remedy
    1. The lower front of the oil pan needs to occupy the same space as the passenger side lower frame rail and the oil galley routes thru that part of the pan so the frame needed to be moved out 2 inches as well as the passenger rear brake line mount. This will also cause the belly cover not to fit so I have some fiberglass work ahead of me.
    2. NSRT alternator / bracket and passenger rear suspension rocker arm. Needed to use the 98-99 stratus alternator and bracket.
    3. Previous route for radiator return hose was between the passenger lower frame rail and the oil pan. Lower hose now routes from the back of the water pump toward the trans then routes between the engine and trans then returns to factory routing to the left of the passenger shock. Has 6 coolant hoses now. 2 modified NSRT lower hoses for the new routing.

The axle mount, passenger and front motor mounts were the only custom pieces and motor mounts are similar in configuration to the stock ( custom ) pieces.

Wiring wasn't as bad a I had expected and there were only a few wires that had to be moved: Coolant temp, oil temp / pressure and coil connection wires were lengthened. I did move the entire rear section of the harness to the front by the firewall to clean up the engine bay and that might have contributed to having to lengthen some of the wiring.

The engine is down and apart at the moment due to a ridiculous mistake ( wrong oil rings ) that I didn't catch when building the motor, but the new parts will be here next week and it'll be back on the road as soon as I can make it happen.

Hybrid booster

I got the engine back together and it seems to be running well. Trying to put some break in miles on it....80 so far

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12