boostaholic

Re: SRT4 Consulier

I hear K24 vtech swap is the way to go.
    MinivanRider

turbo addict

SRT4 has more of what? why change?

- - - Updated - - -

"IF" I was going to change to a newer engine....I'd go 3.6. 300 hp and no turbo lag.
    OR add twin turbos to the 3.6 to make a beast.
    Great stuff for great cars! Poly engine mounts and bushings at: http://www.polybushings.com

Hybrid booster

There are a couple of reasons. Cool factor, easier to reach whatever HP goal.
    Let's say 350hp is the goal. The 2.4 should be easier to get there than a 2.2 8v thus less stress on the engine.
    Don't get me wrong, going the 2.4 route is a lot more complex and that is really the main reason I'm on the fence

turbo addict

Easy to get over 300 with the 2.2 though.
    Great stuff for great cars! Poly engine mounts and bushings at: http://www.polybushings.com

turbo addict

Hate me all you guys like, but I wouldn't even look at a Chrysler driveline! I would be looking at either EcoBoost or the Mitsu Evo version of the 4B11T...

Hybrid booster

would be much sexier to put in 3KGT vr4 67G72 in it... and make 800HP

turbo addict

I've thought about that, but considering parts availability, weight, power potential, transmissions and such...none of our drivelines make any sense if you're going to modernize for true racing. For "cool" or whatever...sure, but if you wanted to actually compete...I wouldn't even bother with any of our options. Just doesn't make sense.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by player1up View Post
    I want to SRT4 swap my Consulier...change my mind... or not

Sure I'll swap you an SRT4 for a Consulier

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    Hate me all you guys like, but I wouldn't even look at a Chrysler driveline! I would be looking at either EcoBoost or the Mitsu Evo version of the 4B11T...
    Oh, I've thought about the ecoboost and others as well, but only for a second. The thought of rebuilding an engine cradle is not something I care to do. Now if I had a spare one to fit the motor, trans and all the moving parts, maybe. Then I could just swap the engine box back out for a stocker if needed.

I've thought about that, but considering parts availability, weight, power potential, transmissions and such...none of our drivelines make any sense if you're going to modernize for true racing. For "cool" or whatever...sure, but if you wanted to actually compete...I wouldn't even bother with any of our options. Just doesn't make sense.
    I've been doing the math on the srt swap and for the trouble ( redoing stuff that's already done ) and the motor I'm looking to get, it's looking more and more like it's not worth the effort.

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    Sure I'll swap you an SRT4 for a Consulier
    See? now that's some good comedy

boostaholic

How hard would it be really to scratch build a cradle? Id think you would have to mock it up and tack it together inside of the chassis? Or get one of those fancy 3d lasers to scan your old cradle. Or scan your engine bay after you pull the old cradle out. One of those methods doesn't seem out of the question though..
    MinivanRider

turbo addict

The cradle basically is the outline of the engine compartment, correct? If so, then mounts really are the biggest hardware/fabrication issue there. Obviously all of the peripherals and such will need looked at, but...race car...that stuff changes all the time anyway.

Garrett booster

I went out and bought a donor car to do this, it's looking like a lot of work. But making over 300 wheel at 14 PSI is very tempting when to do that in the 8-valve, it's about 23 PSI.
    That was my initial thought as well with it just being less hard on things. I have shelved it for now, but we'll see what the future brings. I wholeheartedly say go for it!

boostaholic

I'm curious how the cradle to chassis interface works.. I'm assuming each cradle is specifically fitted to each chassis but maybe that is incorrect. I kinda agree that the era correct T2/T3 is the way to go. Outside of that era you may as well go non Chrysler. Speaking of four cylinder mid engine swaps.. have you guys seen the Honda K swapped MR2's? There are a few really fast ones. There is also a guy with a K NSX. From what I hear its fairly affordable to build a K up past 400hp.
    MinivanRider

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

A Masi headed car should be able to compete with anything out there power wise IMO.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    A Masi headed car should be able to compete with anything out there power wise IMO.
    Been there, tried to show him the light.

turbo addict

A masi is nice. I have a built 2.2 with Ti rods and a fully modded Masi head waiting for a Cousulier if I could find an engineless one that was otherwise complete and good. But you can make just as much or more power far easier and cheaper with an SRT motor. 500hp in them is pretty cake. 6-700 isn't out of the question but could you really use that much power.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Thrillz View Post
    I went out and bought a donor car to do this, it's looking like a lot of work. But making over 300 wheel at 14 PSI is very tempting when to do that in the 8-valve, it's about 23 PSI.
    Only if you have a 8 valve head that doesn't flow. I made close to 350whp with 23.2psi.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
    Only if you have a 8 valve head that doesn't flow. I made close to 350whp with 23.2psi.

That can probably be accounted for in the fact my elevation here is 3 times that of you. 3500 ft above sea level versus 1200 or 1250.

Hybrid booster

That was my initial thought as well with it just being less hard on things. I have shelved it for now, but we'll see what the future brings. I wholeheartedly say go for it!
    This is the main reason why I'm considering it. Less stress on everything. Performance modded 8v motors don't seem to last that long. Although the one I blew up was due to user error ( oil starvation - hard cornering on ramp ).
    If I go the SRT route, I plan on using a distributor adapter and running off the stock smec.
    As for the work, it looks like.
    A/C lines, motor mounts, intake, exhaust, coolant lines, some rework of electrical due to the new alternator and sensor locations, axle support mount, oil cooler lines and I'm sure some crap I haven't thought of or have forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Rrider View Post
    I'm curious how the cradle to chassis interface works.. I'm assuming each cradle is specifically fitted to each chassis but maybe that is incorrect. I kinda agree that the era correct T2/T3 is the way to go. Outside of that era you may as well go non Chrysler. Speaking of four cylinder mid engine swaps.. have you guys seen the Honda K swapped MR2's? There are a few really fast ones. There is also a guy with a K NSX. From what I hear its fairly affordable to build a K up past 400hp.
    The cradle is shimmed to meet the chassis. From what I've seen, all of the cradles are the same or at least were built on the same jig.

The t3? From what I've read, they are or can be a bit problematic...As for period correct, isnt there a pic of one with the srt motor in it...even for just mock up? Even then, the chassis is what's important, I have all of the original components as well.
    Outside of period correct that has SOME similarity to what's in there is really the key for me, I can reuse a lot of what's in there now if I pick the SRT4 and my HP goal is apparently easy to hit with the 2.4

Quote Originally Posted by MPI_duster View Post
    Been there, tried to show him the light.
    Well, parts availability and cost are why I'd go SRT before masi but I'm starting to like the coolaid

That can probably be accounted for in the fact my elevation here is 3 times that of you. 3500 ft above sea level versus 1200 or 1250.
    That map says megasquirt flex...running e85 with MS ? What head is on there ( vendor, home / pro ported ) ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast