Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Manual rack options for 2 door L body

Basic Vendor (MSD, Hawk, etc) Turbo Mopar Contributor rbryant's Avatar

Re: Manual rack options for 2 door L body

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    Do you happen to know the ratio for that rack? Guessing the one I am running will still be the best ratio.
    The Neon manual rack should be 20:1. The neon power rack is 18:1.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

I know the Neon racks fit the GPHK bodies. I don't think they fit the L bodies.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    I know the Neon racks fit the GPHK bodies. I don't think they fit the L bodies.
    It should be possible. There was talk on neons.org of using an omni rack and I think somone used an omni rack on a GJKHPA car at one point.

The mounting points of a GJKHPA car are the same on the driver side. The tie rods or tie rod ends might have to be cut down to make them 1.5" narrower than the lbody but that shouldn't be a problem.

I am not sure about the steering column connection but I am sure it can be adapted.

-Rich

For electric PS pumps, you can often find them fairly cheap. I have two that I picked up for about $35 each.

My plan is to body mount the pump and and use copper-Nickle metal line to plumb them. Risk of leaks should be very minimal without rubber hoses...

One other note, there are several articles out there about how to properly de-power a power rack. You need to take it apart and remove seals and residual fluid, that slows it down significantly. I believe some have also welded the valving to eliminate the play...

Quote Originally Posted by c2xejk View Post
    For electric PS pumps, you can often find them fairly cheap. I have two that I picked up for about $35 each.

My plan is to body mount the pump and and use copper-Nickle metal line to plumb them. Risk of leaks should be very minimal without rubber hoses...

One other note, there are several articles out there about how to properly de-power a power rack. You need to take it apart and remove seals and residual fluid, that slows it down significantly. I believe some have also welded the valving to eliminate the play...
    My stalled project has a toyota MR2 hydro electric pump on it. I have it mounted to the SRT4 engine with a custom bracket in the stock stratus PS pump location (the stratus pump doesn't clear the frame rail on the Lbody). It am using the stratus reservoir and had an AN fitting welded to the stock line and then use an AN adapter on the MR2 pump with a custom AN line between them. The return line is from a volvo or something (I can't remember exactly) to get the right size and bend.

The fluid that it uses is a bit different than our PS fluid. I have a plan to use Pentosin ch11s (of bmw fame) which is somewhere inbetween but of course my project has been stalled for years now with other things going on in life.

-Rich

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

You can make a power rack into a manual one.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/kn...o-a-manual-one

Quote Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
    You can make a power rack into a manual one.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/kn...o-a-manual-one
    Ok that's what I'm talkin about. Perfect solution for now. And I have a spare rack to work with. Thanks A.J. from AZ.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    Ok that's what I'm talkin about. Perfect solution for now.
    It's funny, the answer you were looking for was right under your nose in the Knowledge Center but you didn't know it was there.

Well my search was for a replacement, not a mod. But given the information around ratios and the current being the best option, modification is the next alternative. And all I had to do was wait for you to go find it for me. I really appreciate your efforts.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by rbryant View Post
    My stalled project has a toyota MR2 hydro electric pump on it. I have it mounted to the SRT4 engine with a custom bracket in the stock stratus PS pump location (the stratus pump doesn't clear the frame rail on the Lbody). It am using the stratus reservoir and had an AN fitting welded to the stock line and then use an AN adapter on the MR2 pump with a custom AN line between them. The return line is from a volvo or something (I can't remember exactly) to get the right size and bend.
    There are some adapters that will go from a PS style fitting to an AN fitting. That should make the conversion easier... There were some talk about some brands of the fittings working better than others. My plan was to use Red Epoxy to seal the adapter if needed...

The fluid that it uses is a bit different than our PS fluid. I have a plan to use Pentosin ch11s (of bmw fame) which is somewhere inbetween but of course my project has been stalled for years now with other things going on in life.

-Rich
    Good reminder...

Quote Originally Posted by c2xejk View Post
    There are some adapters that will go from a PS style fitting to an AN fitting. That should make the conversion easier... There were some talk about some brands of the fittings working better than others. My plan was to use Red Epoxy to seal the adapter if needed...

It wasn't worth messing with adapters or epoxy. I just bought a weld on steel AN fitting at the hydraulic hose shop (parker) and they welded it for ~$20 IIRC and welded it to a new PS pressure line (the original rubber hose was just cut off).

I also had a custom line made to go from the pump to it at the same place for another $30-40 ( can't remember exactly but it wasn't that expensive and they guaranteed it for PS pressure).

Remember that PS can hit something like 1300psi, it isn't like fuel pressure.

-Rich

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor DOHCRT's Avatar

Don't know if this was covered yet...

https://www.neongoodies.com/Goodies/..._Rack_17.shtml

Vic in Phoenix
    dohcrt@cox.net

91 Spirit R/T x4
    92 Spirit R/T x2
    89 CSX
    88 CSX-TIII
    84 Rampage TII
    97 Ram (Buzzin Half Dozen)
    69 Dart GT 'Vert

Quote Originally Posted by DOHCRT View Post
    Don't know if this was covered yet...

https://www.neongoodies.com/Goodies/..._Rack_17.shtml
    Now that's interesting. Thanks Vic!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12