Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Manual rack options for 2 door L body

Manual rack options for 2 door L body

Looking for a manual rack for my car. Is there anything out there newer that would work? Neon rack or even newer? I'd settle for something outside our make if it works. Need to replace the one I've got since I'm not running power steering anymore, tired of muscling it on road courses.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor mopar-tech's Avatar

Re: Manual rack options for 2 door L body

Pity, I just gave two away for change a few months ago, one was reman.

Working on clearing the decks.

Well interested in seeing what other racks will directly mount, although not opposed to running the stock rack.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

turbo addict

I had the stock one with lines looped in my Omni. I had 205 Dunlop direzza z2 tires with 200 treadwear. Pretty sticky but it was still manageable.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

I think the Omni manual rack is still used in a lot of conversions for older cars. I would think that tracking one down wouldn't be too difficult.

On the other hand, have you considered what the ratio change in the rack will do to your steering wheel movement? It's going to be a huge difference going from the quick ratio rack to a manual one. Having seen a few videos of you in car while on course, I would think that would be something you would want to think about given your style of driving.

turbo addict

I'd drive with power steering on a road course, all F1 cars have power steering and 24 hours of Le Mans car uses power steering as well.

turbo addict

Alfa Romeo 4c has manual steering.

Doing the looped lines now, would prefer a manual rack. Had too many issues with leaks regularly, unrelated to the header I'm running. But I did have a leak one time that almost caused a fire and on a road course the manual steering is easy to manipulate.

Cordes, not sure about the ratio, was hoping the sites would identify that and I don't know what ratio I have in the car now, so it may not be different since I replaced the stock unit.

turbo addict

What about converting to hydro electric?

Quote Originally Posted by thedon809 View Post
    What about converting to hydro electric?
    Not sure about that, but I did see an electric assist setup from the Pontiac Ion (or other small car) that is placed in between the column and the rack. I could go for something like that for sure. Will do the manual rack for now and plan for that in the future.
    Last edited by minigts; 10-07-2018 at 07:15 PM.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    Not sure about that, but I did see an electric assist setup from the Pontiac Ion (or other small car) that is placed in between the column and the rack. I could go for something like that for sure. MY do the manual rack for now and plan for that in the future.
    I've thought of those also but not sure on how much space is needed.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

I double checked myself, and it seems like my memory was correct. The stock rack should be 14:1 and the manual rack is 22:1. That's is a huge difference indeed.

turbo addict

keep the fast ratio power rack and add an electric pump

grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/list-of-cars-with-electric-power-steering-pumps/76956/page1/

good thread ^ , link works if you copy/paste

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    I double checked myself, and it seems like my memory was correct. The stock rack should be 14:1 and the manual rack is 22:1. That's is a huge difference indeed.
    Do you know the lock-to-lock for the power and the manual? I see one on Rock Auto that is 3.63 for the manual, the power is 3.13. Not sure what is in the GLHS right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Johny Dodge View Post
    keep the fast ratio power rack and add an electric pump

grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/list-of-cars-with-electric-power-steering-pumps/76956/page1/

good thread ^ , link works if you copy/paste
    Good stuff! Would like to do electric only at some point, glad to see there are a number of cars that are going to the electric assist for options.

turbo addict

lost for the time being in the thousand shortcuts saved in my 2.2 file was a place here in toronto that sells "parts for electric cars" - they had either an electric power steering or brake pump
    I can't remember off hand which now but it was about 7 hun

thinking it was a PS pump because an image of a pump with a canister style reservoir on top comes to mind now - something that looked like it could fit easily in the firewall / strut tower corner where the PS pump is now - so plumbing might be easy too

turbo addict

You can get LX electric pump for about $400 used. They run $900 new.

turbo addict

Jon, the fast ratio L-body racks (out of vehicle) were between 2.25 & 2.4 turns lock to lock depending on TRW or Saginaw. Many times the lock to lock will be different in the car vs. out of car due to the steering stops built into either the rack or the knuckles.
    Todd

Quote Originally Posted by 4 l-bodies View Post
    Jon, the fast ratio L-body racks (out of vehicle) were between 2.25 & 2.4 turns lock to lock depending on TRW or Saginaw. Many times the lock to lock will be different in the car vs. out of car due to the steering stops built into either the rack or the knuckles.
    Todd
    Great information and always. Thanks Todd! A question I have now as I think about buying tie rods, any way to ID the different racks? TRW or Saginaw. How do you tell the difference? Noticed the inner tie rod ends look different in design.

Basic Vendor (MSD, Hawk, etc) Turbo Mopar Contributor rbryant's Avatar

I think there is also a manual Neon rack that should also be adaptable. I think looked into this a long time ago and I think I posted about it.

-Rich

Quote Originally Posted by rbryant View Post
    I think there is also a manual Neon rack that should also be adaptable. I think looked into this a long time ago and I think I posted about it.

-Rich
    Do you happen to know the ratio for that rack? Guessing the one I am running will still be the best ratio.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast