Thread: 2.5L TIII SBEC...where to go for that?

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

2.5L TIII SBEC...where to go for that?

I'm on vacation for the next couple weeks and want to smash out a Spirit R/T. Problem is, the engine I have already built for it is 2.5L. Still TIII DOHC of course, and forged Venolia pistons, cast 2.5L crankshaft, balance shafts removed, stock TIII connecting rods. I also put the rings a bit on the tight side. The top end is fairly stock though. Ported exhaust manifold, slightly ported intake with 58mm throttle body, new lifters, titanium retainers etc... The turbocharger is a 'frankenturbo' that TU rebuilt with a Nissan compressor cover, a Buick GN compressor wheel, but the exhaust side is stock as far as the wheel/housing. I have a new 3" exhaust system for the car.

Problem is, where can I go for a custom SBEC to run it? I've always thought that a 2.5L TIII would be the best of all worlds and I definitely want to stay with the stock SBEC electronics. I realize I've sort of built myself into a corner with this. I plan to get it running on low boost (10 psi or less) with the stock TIII SBEC and get through break-in. But eventually I would like to go full tilt with some reliability and hopefully with 91 octane pump gas.

I don't have super high goals with the car. I would be totally happy to have a fun 300 WHP street car and good throttle/turbo response that the 2.5L Turbo engines are known for.

Hybrid booster

Re: 2.5L TIII SBEC...where to go for that?

You're doing my dream engine, J. But I have no ideas to give you about the tuning...

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

jeremy, are you planning on using the turbonator t3 cals?
    89 Voyager LE, 2.5T2 - rest in peace
    87 Charger Shelby T2 (2.4 conversion in process)

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

I can socket or flash-mod the SBEC. I need to do one for my own 2.5 TIII now too, anyway. Would have had it going already, but due to a long string of events and some bad financial decisions, me and the wife are having to move ot of the house we're in and stay with my sister a while. So, been busy moving cars and stuff to my parent's for storage and haven't been able to spend much time on the computer tuning business. I got an SBEC waiting right now for a socket and latch board, as well as a couple SMEC's to mod. Hopefully I'll be moved mostly within a couple weeks. Then I can get those done, and hopefully be driving the Lebaron and working on a 2.5 TIII tune.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

Quote Originally Posted by wowzer View Post
    jeremy, are you planning on using the turbonator t3 cals?
    It sounds like that will probably be the way to go. I honestly know next to nothing about that stuff though since I'm busy in other areas of the hobby. I know I'd need a socketed '91 TIII SBEC, but other than that.... I'm hoping somebody else out there that knows a whole lot more than me can make one and I will gladly pay for it. Till then I'll be boosting real low.

What would be REALLY cool is if an e85 cal was available for this setup. A guy can dream..

boostaholic

There are a few of us out there with E85 tunes, I am on a 2.2 TIII SBECII Holset HE341 with 120lb/ hr injectors and my tune is about 95% complete. Just have a couple of hiccups with cold start.

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

you could also hit up simon for a distributor adapter for one of the cams and use a 2.5 turbonator SMEC and adjust the timing and fuel curves for the TIII head.

i believe rob lloyd already helped simon with TIII timing curves and a base tune.

you would also gain from the TSMEC mods too.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post
    you could also hit up simon for a distributor adapter for one of the cams and use a 2.5 turbonator SMEC and adjust the timing and fuel curves for the TIII head.

i believe rob lloyd already helped simon with TIII timing curves and a base tune.

you would also gain from the TSMEC mods too.
    Brian
    I've thought about that option (cam driven distributor and 8v SMEC), but I really want to keep TIII SBEC electronics if at all possible. I haven't seen Simon around for quite a while so I don't know if he would have the adapter any longer.

I wish it was as easy as calling up Rob Lloyd and sending him a TIII SBEC, but sounds like he is out of the game too.

Hopefully running the 2.5L TIII on a stock TIII SBEC will be OK with 10 psi boost or less so I can at least get the engine broken in and move the car under it's own power. I have an adjustable FPR and a set of +20s I could throw on it. I'll even go to the airport and get some 100 octane Av gas if I have to for a safe break-in.

Quote Originally Posted by iTurbo View Post
    I've thought about that option (cam driven distributor and 8v SMEC), but I really want to keep TIII SBEC electronics if at all possible. I haven't seen Simon around for quite a while so I don't know if he would have the adapter any longer.

I wish it was as easy as calling up Rob Lloyd and sending him a TIII SBEC, but sounds like he is out of the game too.

Hopefully running the 2.5L TIII on a stock TIII SBEC will be OK with 10 psi boost or less so I can at least get the engine broken in and move the car under it's own power. I have an adjustable FPR and a set of +20s I could throw on it. I'll even go to the airport and get some 100 octane Av gas if I have to for a safe break-in.
    I've driven mine on the stock computer already, runs decent. Didn't have any boost on it yet, but will soon.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Subscribed
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

Drove mine a couple hours last night, through city traffic and on the interstate at 75-80mph. Even boosted it a little bit. Drove pretty decent even being in limp-in mode (solenoids aren't wired up yet). There's certain conditions where it'll buck a bit, but nothing too bad. So, you can drive it on the stock computer to move it from place to place without much worry. It spins the old wore out G-forces pretty easy
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC