Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Making an 89 Lebaron run in the 12s

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Re: Making an 89 Lebaron run in the 12s

Oh lol. Well yeah, I liked it too. You don't notice it's there in normal driving.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    12.9 in a full weight Lebaron Coupe with a stock Garrett would be basically maxing out the turbo, which means more heat and more likely to detonate than if you ran a turbo better suited to the goal. However, it has been done a couple times that people have trapped ~108 on a stock garrett in a full weight daytona and spirit which are similar weight to your lebaron coupe. It is possible, but more likely to break trying than if you build a bigger setup in the first place.
    I figured a turbo and head are in my future. And thats ok. As I've asked others, what would your suggest for a turbo assuming a good head setup?? Right now Im looking at the +1mm heads

turbo addict

My goal is to get my full weight Shelby lancer comfortably in the 12's. I am fully confident that I will meet that goal once I build a shortblock for it. My rundown:
    TO4e 50 trim with .63ar and stage2 turbine
    TU cast exhaust Manny
    Shadow custom mandrel 3" sv and 3" full exhaust
    Lengel plenum with 1/2" spacer and Jeep 60mm TB
    This is what I have so far. Going to port a +1 swirl head myself and use either a fwd f4 or tu r5 cam. Also thinking of ditching my air to air for an air to water intercooler. I can't fit 3" pipes up front with a/c.

- - - Updated - - -

The lengel plenum and Jeep 60mm TB made a massive difference in drivability with the 50 trim. With a 2 piece it was generally laggy and kind of unfun to daily drive. Now it's amazing.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Moparman141 View Post
    Right now Im looking at the +1mm heads
    Go bigger. 44mm intake valve and 38.1mm exhaust valve

http://www.forwardmotioninc.com/html/catalog/page9.html

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
    Go bigger. 44mm intake valve and 38.1mm exhaust valve

http://www.forwardmotioninc.com/html/catalog/page9.html
    Sounds like a plan👍 I assume (as I understand air flow characteristics would dictate this) that basically one of the custom intakes out there is required to utilizing on of these larger heads. I mean I know the stock manifold would be a joke compared. But on the flip side of you had a custom intake on a lightly ported stock head that too is kinda a waste???

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by thedon809 View Post
    My goal is to get my full weight Shelby lancer comfortably in the 12's. I am fully confident that I will meet that goal once I build a shortblock for it. My rundown:
    TO4e 50 trim with .63ar and stage2 turbine
    TU cast exhaust Manny
    Shadow custom mandrel 3" sv and 3" full exhaust
    Lengel plenum with 1/2" spacer and Jeep 60mm TB
    This is what I have so far. Going to port a +1 swirl head myself and use either a fwd f4 or tu r5 cam. Also thinking of ditching my air to air for an air to water intercooler. I can't fit 3" pipes up front with a/c.

- - - Updated - - -

The lengel plenum and Jeep 60mm TB made a massive difference in drivability with the 50 trim. With a 2 piece it was generally laggy and kind of unfun to daily drive. Now it's amazing.
    Cool! Am I to understand you currently have a stock head and cam then? If so you feel it’s pretty happening as is?? I defiantly wanna get a turbo and head. Just wanna make sure it’s worth the coin, and I choose wisely for my needs/vehicle/goal. What is the Lengel plenum. I’ll be searching for it. It in a summary is it a tried and true unit by you guys out there?? Thanks again
    Last edited by Moparman141; 09-20-2018 at 11:33 PM.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor mopar-tech's Avatar

A good turbo and good intercooler will get you in the 12's without running a honking load of boost.

Working on clearing the decks.

turbo addict

Cool! Am I to understand you currently have a stock head and cam then? If so you feel it’s pretty happening as is?? I defiantly wanna get a turbo and head. Just wanna make sure it’s worth the coin, and I choose wisely for my needs/vehicle/goal. What is the Lengel plenum. I’ll be searching for it. It in a summary is it a tried and true unit by you guys out there?? Thanks again
    I have a stock head and cam currently. I can't go to crazy turning up the boost because I'm on a stock t1 bottom end. Don't want uncle Rodney to come knocking.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

46 trim To4e stage 1 .63 A/R for power you need to go 12's and least amount of lag without going to a BB turbo.

+1mm head is all you need if you want to go that far, but a well ported stock valve head is all you need.

TBI or 88 turbo roller cam/ F4 if you want it to rev more like a stock 2.2

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!

turbo addict

Sounds like a plan👍 I assume (as I understand air flow characteristics would dictate this) that basically one of the custom intakes out there is required to utilizing on of these larger heads. I mean I know the stock manifold would be a joke compared. But on the flip side of you had a custom intake on a lightly ported stock head that too is kinda a waste???
    I had a stock 2 piece intake manifold on my FM stage III big valves head and I had a BMF intake manifold on a stock cylinder head. The setup with the big valves head will make its peak HP around 6300rpm while the setup with stock head is making its peak HP just pass 5000 rpm. So, after experiencing what a good cylinder head can do, my personal preference is that I will start with a good cylinder head first.

Think about it, a stock 2.5 turbo is rated at 150hp. A stock 2.0 n/a DOHC also rated at 150hp!

What are you doing for EFI control?
    Last edited by tryingbe; 09-21-2018 at 12:39 PM.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
    I had a stock 2 piece intake manifold on my FM stage III big valves head and I had a BMF intake manifold on a stock cylinder head. The setup with the big valves head will make its peak HP around 6300rpm while the setup with stock head is making its peak HP just pass 5000 rpm. So, after experiencing what a good cylinder head can do, my personal preference is that I will start with a good cylinder head first.

Think about it, a stock 2.5 turbo is rated at 150hp. A stock 2.0 n/a DOHC also rated at 150hp!

What are you doing for EFI control?

As of current using FWD Performance stage 5 with +40 injectors and 3bar map. But looking into doing the unit from here (can’t rember the name) to either have some one program for me or work out my own. It’s the unit that has the small touch screen that is all been built by a member of the form

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

If motor was up to the task then spray + slicks. If you just want a 12.99 then I think a lot of these expensive modifications are unnecessary. Many mods mentioned are wasted potential trying to go 12.99. Mild turbo upgrade and good fuel will probably do it on slicks.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by Ondonti View Post
    If motor was up to the task then spray + slicks. If you just want a 12.99 then I think a lot of these expensive modifications are unnecessary. Many mods mentioned are wasted potential trying to go 12.99. Mild turbo upgrade and good fuel will probably do it on slicks.
    thanks you for that. Yeah I’d be ok with a 12.9. Slicks are gonna happen. I’ll be also doing some of the mild options. With a few more expensive stuff just to make it get there easy. And be able to run on the top end. Thanks all!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12