Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1989 Chrysler TC Low Boost Issues

Hybrid View

Mitsu booster

Question 1989 Chrysler TC Low Boost Issues

So last week I decided to buy a Digital Boost Gauge. After installing the boost gauge I found out that my car had only been hitting 4 pounds of boost this whole time. I was told that stock it was supposed to be on 11 pounds.

I purchased a vacuum block and made some adjustments to the vacuum line. I got my idle vacuum to be about -15 to -16 (it goes back and forth.) I was told they should be at -18. I also did the check to see if the wastegate was stuck by attaching the waste gate vacuum line directly to intake manifold, the test said I should hit 5 pounds and I did, so I can rule out wastegate.

And just about an hour ago I ran piping straight from the turbo to the throttle body to see if the intercooler was bad and still had 4 pounds of boost. So I can also rule out a bad intercooler.

I am now trying to tackle this issue. I just purchased a 13 port vacuum manifold and 40ft of vacuum line. I plan to redo all of the vacuum line in the engine bay (since its from 1989 and could be cracked or damaged.)

I was wondering if there is anything else I should be checking or trying. I was also informed that maybe I have a faulty MAP sensor. And I also plan to redo timing as I am running really rich for some odd reason even though the timing is pretty spot on as far as idle RPM.

Thanks!

----- EDIT -----

I would also like to add I also purchased a Grainger Valve and installed that as well. I set the Grainger Valve to be fully open so max amount of boost and I'm still only hitting 4 pounds of boost. And the boost doesn't come on quick either. It takes about 5500 RPM just to get 4 pounds.
    Last edited by gtristan18; 09-06-2018 at 02:53 PM.

Mitsu booster

Re: 1989 Chrysler TC Low Boost Issues

Check the turbo for excessive play & inspect it for wheel to housing contact, though you'd probably hear that. Also check exhaust for restriction after turbo (maybe take pipe loose before the converter and retest).. how are you testing how much boost you are making?

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by A_ Kelley View Post
    Check the turbo for excessive play & inspect it for wheel to housing contact, though you'd probably hear that. Also check exhaust for restriction after turbo (maybe take pipe loose before the converter and retest).. how are you testing how much boost you are making?
    No excessive play in the compressor wheel. I havent tried the restrictive exhaust method yet but did read about it. I will be sure to give it a go tomorrow or Friday when I have free time.

turbo addict

I'd Disconnect/plug the wastegate vaccume line and go for a test drive, it should build boost very quickly. be careful it will hit full cut at around 14psi, this would rule out the mechanical. if you connect the waste gate directly to a vacuum source you'll get about 5psi
    1988 Lancer Shelby 2.2TII 1989 Shadow ES 2.5TI 1992 Lebaron Sedan 3.0Auto 1993 Acclaim 2.5TI-A520 Hoard parts now!

Mitsu booster

Your vacuum setup is whats messed up. Buy a 3 inch swingvalve with the down pipe from TU and try again

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by dartswinger View Post
    Buy a 3 inch swingvalve with the down pipe from TU and try again
    No. There is no need to buy a swingvalve or downpipe to fix a boost problem.

Sounds like the actuator arm have came off the wastegate lever.

Not the same turbo, but same idea.

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
    No. There is no need to buy a swingvalve or downpipe to fix a boost problem.

Sounds like the actuator arm have came off the wastegate lever.

Not the same turbo, but same idea.

I have already check that. I took a picture and the clip is sill there. I also did the wastegate vacuum
    to the intake manifold vacuum and got 5 pounds of boost which tells me the wastegate is functioning.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by raccoon View Post
    I'd Disconnect/plug the wastegate vaccume line and go for a test drive, it should build boost very quickly. be careful it will hit full cut at around 14psi, this would rule out the mechanical. if you connect the waste gate directly to a vacuum source you'll get about 5psi

I have already ran the wastegate unplugged from vacuum as well as plugged. Still 4 pounds of boost and I also ran the test and got the 5 pounds of boost.

turbo addict

There is a CBV inside the airbox, make sure it is not blown.

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
    There is a CBV inside the airbox, make sure it is not blown.
    I ditched the factory air box a month ago. And plugged the blow off valve line. And ran an aluminum pipe from the throttle body to the intercooler. So there is no air box or blow off valve. And yes I know compressor surge is bad for the turbo. This is just the setup of the car right now as I’m purchasing all of the upgrades and building it. But I’m trying to get the car to at least run at stock boost before throwing all kinds of uprgrades at it.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

What have you done to insure that your wastegate can is working properly, did you put a mighty vac style pump on it to see if it holds vac? Is there a decent amount of tension 'on the seat' so to speak? It Should keep the puck on the seat of the SVA with about 9-10lbs. Not sue where I heard that number, just have for years

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

turbo addict

Aren't you up in Marysville? If so, I might be able to come help this weekend if you want.

This is an 8V car, too, right?

I agree...the vacuum system is FUBAR. Make sure to put the restrictors and 1-way check valves in the correct places. Make sure the 4-way split near the intake isn't all cracked to hell (they usually are).

Oh, BTW, do you get any codes? What the ignition timing? Is the cam timing correct?

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    Aren't you up in Marysville? If so, I might be able to come help this weekend if you want.

This is an 8V car, too, right?

I agree...the vacuum system is FUBAR. Make sure to put the restrictors and 1-way check valves in the correct places. Make sure the 4-way split near the intake isn't all cracked to hell (they usually are).

Oh, BTW, do you get any codes? What the ignition timing? Is the cam timing correct?
    I'm at Joint Base Lewis-McChord. Also, timing may be an issue. We got it to idle at 900RPM and called it good for that day and left it that way. We did a lot to the vacuum system so it's far stock vacuum setup so it may just be that. But like I posted I have a 13 port vacuum manifold on the way and 40ft of vacuum line to redo the whole vacuum system.

I don't throw any codes.

And yes it's 2.2L 8v TII

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    What have you done to insure that your wastegate can is working properly, did you put a mighty vac style pump on it to see if it holds vac? Is there a decent amount of tension 'on the seat' so to speak? It Should keep the puck on the seat of the SVA with about 9-10lbs. Not sue where I heard that number, just have for years
    I did some test I read from another thread where you run the vacuum line from the wastegate can straight into the intake manifold vacuum and if the boost gauge read 5 pounds then it is still a good wastegate. My car was only hitting 4 pounds. I did what the post said to do and I hit 5 pounds.
    Last edited by gtristan18; 09-06-2018 at 06:27 PM.

turbo addict

If you disconnect the wastegate completely it should hit 15PSI real quick, did you try running with the vacuum source to the waste-gate disconnected.
    1988 Lancer Shelby 2.2TII 1989 Shadow ES 2.5TI 1992 Lebaron Sedan 3.0Auto 1993 Acclaim 2.5TI-A520 Hoard parts now!

Mitsu booster

If you disconnect the wastegate completely it should hit 15PSI real quick, did you try running with the vacuum source to the waste-gate disconnected.
    I'm almost positive I tried running it with no vacuum source after I did the test on the wastegate. But I will try again when I get off work in 2 hours.

Mitsu booster

So I just did a run with the wastegate disconnected from vacuum. Ramped up to 15 psi at 3000 RPM super quick. So does this mean the wastegate can is bad?

turbo addict

If the WG actuator holds vac, and you still get 4lbs of boost with the vac line disconnected from the actuator don't rule out a crappy/clogged exhaust. Just went through this on my daughters Caliber SRT4. Car was a complete dog, you can't mess up the timing on it as it's a chain with painted marks and Mopar installed it 30k miles ago. It would struggle for 5-8psi. Sometimes you'd see 10 if you were really lucky. The previous owner had taken the factory muffler and tip off, put a flowmaster muffler in it's place and some type of resonator before that and just had a non-mandrel bent 3" pipe out the back after the muffler. I bought a catless downpipe and magnaflow catback for the car. Had to wait on the catback as it was back ordered so I put the downpipe on hoping to pick up some flow by getting rid of the 2 cats. Nothing, car still acted pretty much the same boost wise, it did pick up some off idle power. Had to wait a month for the cat back. Threw it on and the cars a beast compared to what it was. Boost instantly spikes almost 15 and drops to 10 through the rest of the gear. Just like the other 2 caliber's I've driven. I was shocked at how crappy and how much flow was killed with a resonator and a flowmaster muffler even though it was all 3" stuff.

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    If the WG actuator holds vac, and you still get 4lbs of boost with the vac line disconnected from the actuator don't rule out a crappy/clogged exhaust. Just went through this on my daughters Caliber SRT4. Car was a complete dog, you can't mess up the timing on it as it's a chain with painted marks and Mopar installed it 30k miles ago. It would struggle for 5-8psi. Sometimes you'd see 10 if you were really lucky. The previous owner had taken the factory muffler and tip off, put a flowmaster muffler in it's place and some type of resonator before that and just had a non-mandrel bent 3" pipe out the back after the muffler. I bought a catless downpipe and magnaflow catback for the car. Had to wait on the catback as it was back ordered so I put the downpipe on hoping to pick up some flow by getting rid of the 2 cats. Nothing, car still acted pretty much the same boost wise, it did pick up some off idle power. Had to wait a month for the cat back. Threw it on and the cars a beast compared to what it was. Boost instantly spikes almost 15 and drops to 10 through the rest of the gear. Just like the other 2 caliber's I've driven. I was shocked at how crappy and how much flow was killed with a resonator and a flowmaster muffler even though it was all 3" stuff.
    Yeah, I plan to disconnect the downpipe this weekend and do a pull with open downpipe to see if the cat is the issue. I have already removed the muffler.

turbo addict

No, it means the solenoid isn't operating properly or the Vac lines are not hooked up to it correctly.

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    No, it means the solenoid isn't operating properly or the Vac lines are not hooked up to it correctly.
    So now it's time to to redo all the vacuum like I planned. I did some looking over the engine bay and when comparing my vacuum setup to the stock diagram that is under the hood. I realized that the vacuum is all the way messed up. Thanks for the help!

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

A 13 port vacuum distribution manifold block seems really excessive. All you really need to run the car are: FPR, MAP sensor/solenoid, boost control, and (hopefully) a BOV and vac/boost gauge.

As far as waste gate rod tension, I like to have enough tension that you actually have to pull the rod out of the can about 1/8" before sliding it over the stud where the clip goes. Anymore than that and it would probably spike; any less and it would increase the lag. Pulling it out about 1/8" is a good base preload and keeps it held shut sufficiently. Of course, just accessing that on a Turbo II engine is a nightmare in itself with the engine in the car.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast