Thread: 87 Shelby Charger (Black) Project

Mitsu booster

87 Shelby Charger (Black) Project

Well finally found an 87 Shelby Charger at the correct time, money, and distance away. Have had a couple slip through the fingers, a nice Black 85/86 with a DC over the vlv. cover intercooler about 20 years ago comes to mind, but not this time. Also going to try a project thread on the forum for the first time. I haven't tried to tackle this extensive of a project prior, so hopefully can lean on others for advice and experience. Found this one on e-bay and at first couldn't convince the wife that another project car was needed...but then it went up for bid, and convinced it was worth a try. So set my max bid, and lost out on it by a mere $16...damn. Decided to e-mail the owner and mentioned that if the deal fell through with the winner, that I'd be interested. Well a couple weeks passed and on that fateful Friday morning got an e-mail from a friend that an 87 Dodge Omni had come up for sale on FB. I'd put feelers out for a parts vehicle for my 85 GLH T2 as it needs some doors thanks to a little old lady that decided to turn into me and crease my driver side back door. I said good deal...so made the contact...and was going to have a look. Pictures looked pretty good, and the money was reasonable, so basically decided to go for it. Well about a couple hours later during lunch I see the e-bay guy send me an e-mail. I said to myself that he's just letting me know the guy came for the SC...all the while I'm hoping the other. Well stopped stalling and looked at the e-mail...sure enough his guy was giving him the run around, and wondered if I was still interested. So in one day I've gotten two things I've been looking for a while for...I didn't play the lotto that day, but probably should have. Now I need to convince the wife...I basically just spun it as we can get the Omni on Saturday and the SC on Sunday..."Really!?" she states. I simple said well one is parts that just happen to be in car form, and the other is one I've been wanting for nearly 1/2 my life!! Long story short...Shelby Charger is mine...so is the Omni . The bottom has some rust and normal fading, but a hammer test at time of purchase indicates the rails are still solid. Now need to get it blown apart and see what I actually have. The plan is to do a "frame off" style resto and build it back up with performance mods, but keeping it somewhat stock appearing. The non-running Turbo I will get pulled and will insert a 89 Common block Turbo II or an SRT4 2.4 with 350/400 formula. Not sure if it's allowed, but considering starting project blogs for the 87 Shelby Z and the 85 GLH T2 as well. Might help re-energize those projects as well and can move b/w them as this one has down time. Ok...now I just need to figure out how to get photos uploaded!!

Mitsu booster

Re: 87 Shelby Charger (Black) Project

I have a 87 2.2 Turbo II with 2 piece intake and forged crank connected to A520. Been sitting outside covered on a pallet. Let me know if interested

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

turbo addict

one can never have to many turbo mopars ...

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by MaineMopar View Post
    I have a 87 2.2 Turbo II with 2 piece intake and forged crank connected to A520. Been sitting outside covered on a pallet. Let me know if interested

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
    Will do, thanks for the heads up. Just got the seats out of it, and looks like the worst part is just in the floorpan, but need to get the carpet out.

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Johny Dodge View Post
    one can never have to many turbo mopars ...
    Agreed...will like to get a 85-86 Turbo Z and a 92-93 IROC R/T at some point, but at this point I think this will be the "wife will allow" limit for now .

Mitsu booster

Well got the seats out and the carpet up. From the front cross brace to the rear...very solid and in nice shape. From that brace forward...not so nice. The floors will need some help. It was night and day...and the day was coming from the light outside from the holes. The Uni-body frame rails seem to be solid, so should be able to save it. From what I can find...they don't have aftermarket replacements. So will need to find a good used set. The same weekend I picked this up, I found a 87 Omni as a parts vehicle to the GLH...but the floorboards on that are already solid. I'm wondering if the 4-door L-body floors can work in the Chargers 2-door L-body format. If so...that would be great...that is hopefully the ones on the Omni are it decent shape. If not, I'm guessing a 83 to 87 Plymouth Turismo, or Standard Chargers floorboards will work...correct? If anyone out there is looking to offload some floorboards...let me know! Nice southern ones with little to no rust would be good.