Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TU Clutch Feedback and Big Thanks to Chris!

TU Clutch Feedback and Big Thanks to Chris!

Wanted to post some feedback for Chris at TU, specifically related to his clutches. I’ve been using his clutches exclusively for the last 10-12 years. First was a blue plate/4 puck that I daily drove for quite some time and ran into the 10’s with my Shadow. Second was a purple/4 puck, which was in the car when it was running 10.5’s at 135+ and seeing street duty. When I started running drag week in 2013, I replaced it with a purple/232 mm 4 puck unsprung…not because the previous 4 puck was bad, just that I had the car apart and I didn’t want to gamble on an older, well used clutch at an event like drag week. That clutch has now been through 4 drag weeks, with the car loaded, towing a loaded trailer (4-5k towing miles, much of it local roads), and now 5 years worth of beatings, with 60 foot times in the mid 1.6’s. It’s awesome.

I have the car apart again, preparing for Drag Week 2018 and decided at the last second I wanted to put a fresh clutch in. Chris hooked me up again, getting a new one sent out quickly, leaving me enough time to get it in before I leave for Atlanta in 2 weeks. I went with the exact same purple/232 mm 4 puck/unsprung. Huge thanks to Chris and his clutch manufacturer for getting it done.

One thing worth noting, Chris mentioned to me that he’s running into supplier challenges for pressure plate parts and he will need to start ordering larger quantities, which is a worry for him. For my own selfish reasons, I don’t want to see the TU clutch line go away (you can see I’m a fan), so for anyone out there looking or considering building for more power or want/need a streetable clutch that simply works, consider giving Chris a call to see what he can do for you.

Pat

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Re: TU Clutch Feedback and Big Thanks to Chris!

Good info. Helps when the guys with fast cars and a lot of experience can quantify the goodness in et, mph, years of service... Thanks!

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Hybrid booster

I have been using his clutches also for quite some time... 2500# car, 1.7 60’ times, mid 11 sec and 124 mph runs. Street used also. I’ve never had issues. I have replaced them due the car being apart for engine issues and I’m the type of guy who says, “well, while I have it apart”.... so, yea, they do work well and are worth the money.

The "while I have it apart" snowball...that keeps getting bigger, and bigger, and bigger.... :-)

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    The "while I have it apart" snowball...that keeps getting bigger, and bigger, and bigger.... :-)
    Ugh, you ain’t kidding

turbo addict

so how'd the clutch look after 4 drag weeks? Cause I'm the type of guy that once it's in it's staying in until it breaks so it better be damn good. I don't like and am too old and busy to be tearing cars apart now.

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    so how'd the clutch look after 4 drag weeks? Cause I'm the type of guy that once it's in it's staying in until it breaks so it better be damn good. I don't like and am too old and busy to be tearing cars apart now.

I'll let you know...hoping to have it out tonight. Will snap a pic or two.

That being said, it's been in there since the summer of 2013...I'd say for what is mostly a race car, that's pretty durable.

Hybrid booster

https://www.flickr.com/photos/173662...posted-public/

I street drive my car also.... if you need a clutch, give Chris a call and he will help you get the one that fits your needs

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor jonnymopar's Avatar

30,000+ "extra spirited" street miles on mine. I have a yellow plate, 6 puck, solid hub. Very streetable in my heavy car. These clutches are the best!
    Jon J.

1989 Daytona ES 2.4L DOHC
    2003 Neon SXT - gone but never forgotten

If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is!

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

I built a stout TIII Spirit R/T for one of my friends a 3-4 years ago. It's got a 50-trim/stg 3 turbo, FMIC, 3-bar/+40s and running 24 psi boost. The yellow plate/4 puck spring hub clutch has held up perfectly and I like the pedal feel and engagement. Seems perfect for the car. No issues.

turbo addict

been YEARS since I hadda buy a clutch so it's nice to see positive reviews especially as years ago there wasn't much to be had

hell I've saved some good o-e cancer disc clutches just because the replacement organic ones sucked

which gets me to my question - IF there is a decent large spline disc suitable for 150-250 hp D/D with just a good "minty" 86/7 - o-e pressure plate to keep costs down for now

I have a completely stock 87 shelby charger and before anything else gets changed or modded I'd like to start with my trans swap simply because I remember oh so well what my turbo converted turismo drove like with 200ish hp and a 305 fd

swapping to a 369 first gear / 408 fd has to make a difference and I'd like to see exactly how much difference it really is before I do anything else - including even the TII swap

at this point the only things I need are the disc , large spline axles and a 50 way L body dash harness
    lol + my stash , makes potentially a very productive 12-16 hour shift in the ol' garage some night hopefully VERY soon

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Johny Dodge View Post
    been YEARS since I hadda buy a clutch so it's nice to see positive reviews especially as years ago there wasn't much to be had

hell I've saved some good o-e cancer disc clutches just because the replacement organic ones sucked

which gets me to my question - IF there is a decent large spline disc suitable for 150-250 hp D/D with just a good "minty" 86/7 - o-e pressure plate to keep costs down for now

I have a completely stock 87 shelby charger and before anything else gets changed or modded I'd like to start with my trans swap simply because I remember oh so well what my turbo converted turismo drove like with 200ish hp and a 305 fd

swapping to a 369 first gear / 408 fd has to make a difference and I'd like to see exactly how much difference it really is before I do anything else - including even the TII swap

at this point the only things I need are the disc , large spline axles and a 50 way L body dash harness
    lol + my stash , makes potentially a very productive 12-16 hour shift in the ol' garage some night hopefully VERY soon
    Try Chris's TII/TIII hybrid clutch. It's what I'm running in my Scamp, and it's been an amazing clutch so far. Super smooth engagement, and it's held down my 2.5TII just fine. It's available in large & small spline.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by 83scamp View Post
    Try Chris's TII/TIII hybrid clutch. It's what I'm running in my Scamp, and it's been an amazing clutch so far. Super smooth engagement, and it's held down my 2.5TII just fine. It's available in large & small spline.
    If going with large spline, wouldn't the TIII clutch be the way to go? I always heard the TIII disc was better than the TII?

Quote Originally Posted by EaZyE426 View Post
    If going with large spline, wouldn't the TIII clutch be the way to go? I always heard the TIII disc was better than the TII?
    Sort of lost here myself. I thought the hybrid clutch was a way to address small spline applications. What's the advantage otherwise??
    Jon J.

turbo addict

for now I'm only looking for a large spline disc that will work with the o-e 86 pressure plate
    and I refuse to waste my time with a generic , organic auto parts store pile of crap and I don't need the expense of buying a press plate , yet ( for a stock log motor soon to be stock TII)

or the cost of shipping , exchange etc

turbo addict

What's it like driving an unsprung clutch?

Quote Originally Posted by thedon809 View Post
    Depends. With a ceramic puck disc, it's GREAT, better than sprung in that particular case in my opinion. I can't tell if it's because it's not continuous-face or if it's due to the material itself, but I've had both sprung hub and solid hub 6-puck ceramic and the solid hub was better in stop-and-go traffic.
    Jon J.

Quote Originally Posted by thedon809 View Post

I really never noticed a difference and I get the benefit of a lighter disc. Win win in my book.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    I really never noticed a difference and I get the benefit of a lighter disc. Win win in my book.
    I too don't notice much of a difference with the unsprung hub.

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by jonnymopar View Post
    Sort of lost here myself. I thought the hybrid clutch was a way to address small spline applications. What's the advantage otherwise??
    I honestly can't answer this. I just wanted a good, streetable clutch with decent power holding ability. This clutch has not disappointed me. It just works, and takes all the abuse I dish out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast